Why am I always hungry???

Options

Replies

• figuu
    figuu Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    And this is the website I use to figure out how much I should eat using the Katch-McArdle formula: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#mostaccuratecaloriecalculator
    Adding that my bodyfat is around 15% bumped it up by a few..
    In kind of scared to intuitively eat since I've grown up in a family that tracks food with numbers.

Good, but what activity level did you select?

Because this -
    "I run/do other cardio 4-5 times a week and do weights/body weight exercises 3-5 times a week."

Is NOT Moderately Active, unless your cardio is 30 min and really easy, and the weights is 15-30 min only.

Then that would be accurate:
    weekly 4.5 x 30 min = 135 min
    weekly 4 x 22 min = 88 min
    223 min = almost 4 hrs

But if your cardio is 1 hr each time, you just went to top of Moderately Active. Your weight workouts would push you in to Very Active.

Be honest with yourself for hours a week it asks for. No need shooting your body in the metabolism trying to underestimate.

To the macros question.
    Are these meals that leave you hungry so soon afterwards mainly carbs, or a good mix of C - P - F? If not a mix, try it.
    And do you eat the carbs first or last? Might try last if a good mix.

Even do bagel test? Maybe you know what would happen already.
    Eat a bagel for breakfast, or any other time that is 3-4 hrs after last meal.
    Do you get tired in 1-2 hrs, perhaps getting spike of energy first (maybe not though).
    If you do, may have some insulin over-reaction going on, which then leads to low blood sugar, making you hungry when you shouldn't be.
    The cardio would either be 30 minutes of strenuous effort or around an hour of moderate effort. What made me not put the 5-6 hours was that I thought cardio was considered strenuous and weight lifting was not since I'm not exactly breathing heavy.
    Yes, that's what I was worried about, hurting my metabolism!
    And nope to the bagel test, thank god.
    I'll watch my macros more and boost my calorie intake to 2200 for a few weeks and see how that goes since I wouldn't mind if I gained a few anyways haha.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I think stomach size is indeed related to hunger. I am a normal-sizd person, but I must have a giant stomach! People twice my size always can't believe how much I eat in one meal (when not dieting). Probably three times as much as an average person eats!
  • figuu
    figuu Posts: 20
    Options
    I think stomach size is indeed related to hunger. I am a normal-sizd person, but I must have a giant stomach! People twice my size always can't believe how much I eat in one meal (when not dieting). Probably three times as much as an average person eats!
    S.A.M.E.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    S.A.M.E.

So shrink your stomach a bit. Remember it takes 20 minutes for food to register sometimes.

Also, you're going to need less calories to maintain less mass, so that hunger is head or rushing food hunger.

Important to eat fats, protein and a bit more bulk in veg
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Life is unfair. You, me, and nearly everyone else who is our height-- I am 5' 3 1/2"-- has to feel hungry all the time in order to reach, and to maintain, our ideal weight. My ideal weight is 112 and I already know I face a lifetime of hungry days to maintain 112. What works best for me is to save all my calories for one meal at the end of the day. That way, at least I can feel halfway-full once a day! Also, once I start eating I am hungry the rest of the day-- more so than if I wait to eat until late in the day. It's s trigger! AND, I find I am far less hungry if I make sure a good many of my calories come from fat. A 150-calorie tiny bag of chips is way more satisfying than a huge giant plate full of weeds!!:bigsmile:

have the same issue being 4'11" ... only 1200 calories allowed .. this week I;'m using the sleeping defence - putting myself to bed super early to avoid the kitchen

I'm also 4ft11 :)

I used to think I could ONLY have 1200 calories a day back when I thought low-calorie/low-fat was the only way to lose weight. I felt restricted and hangry all the time.

Now I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day (give or take a few hundred) and all of those calories come from whole foods.

I eat: organic/grass fed meat, lots of organic vegetables, some fruit -mainly berries, nuts & plenty of good fats (yes, that includes butter!)

I don't eat: sugary/artificially sweetened beverages, processed junk food, refined/processed oils or anything labelled low-fat/diet.

I'm eating more, losing weight and I look and feel healthier than ever before :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Life is unfair. You, me, and nearly everyone else who is our height-- I am 5' 3 1/2"-- has to feel hungry all the time in order to reach, and to maintain, our ideal weight. My ideal weight is 112 and I already know I face a lifetime of hungry days to maintain 112. What works best for me is to save all my calories for one meal at the end of the day. That way, at least I can feel halfway-full once a day! Also, once I start eating I am hungry the rest of the day-- more so than if I wait to eat until late in the day. It's s trigger! AND, I find I am far less hungry if I make sure a good many of my calories come from fat. A 150-calorie tiny bag of chips is way more satisfying than a huge giant plate full of weeds!!:bigsmile:

I don't find this to be true. Granted my ideal weight is 125, but I never go hungry and I maintain on around 2000 calories.. You don't have to eat 700 calories per day. And if you do, you need to see a doctor because something is wrong.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

are you exercising and not eating back calories?
    have the same issue being 4'11" ... only 1200 calories allowed .. this week I;'m using the sleeping defence - putting myself to bed super early to avoid the kitchen

I'm also 4ft11 :)

I used to think I could ONLY have 1200 calories a day back when I thought low-calorie/low-fat was the only way to lose weight. I felt restricted and hangry all the time.

Now I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day (give or take a few hundred) and all of those calories come from whole foods.

I eat: organic/grass fed meat, lots of organic vegetables, some fruit -mainly berries, nuts & plenty of good fats (yes, that includes butter!)

I don't eat: sugary/artificially sweetened beverages, processed junk food, refined/processed oils or anything labelled low-fat/diet.

I'm eating more, losing weight and I look and feel healthier than ever before :)

are you exercising and eating back your calories?
  • cali_ketos
    cali_ketos Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? Aim for at least 20g of protein during each meal.
  • barefootinthebarn
    Options
    Not getting the proper nutrients makes me feel hungry, even if I am consuming enough calories. When I make sure that I am eating lots of veggies, fruit, nuts and protein then I tend to feel very satisfied. I can eat twice as many simple carbs and feel starving. Maybe you are "hungry" for more nutrients not more food.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Your Total Protein macro for the WHOLE DAY is horribly low. This is it right here....the problem.... Eat what ya want, but get well into the 120's mg protein every day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I actually lose weight even on maintenance calories. I stay hungry because I have an enormous appetite; actually, I have a fast metabolism. I am on 700 so I can lose weight as quickly as possible, because I can't stick to a diet unless I see quick results.

Well then your post should have read "I've chosen to be hungry all the time" and not "short people have no choice but to be hungry all the time."
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Same here..
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I actually lose weight even on maintenance calories. I stay hungry because I have an enormous appetite; actually, I have a fast metabolism. I am on 700 so I can lose weight as quickly as possible, because I can't stick to a diet unless I see quick results.

If you lose weight on maintenance calories, then you're not eating at maintenance. It means that your deficit calories are higher than you think.

People who lose weight quickly by starving themselves tend to gain it back quickly. It's why doctors, the people of MFP, and studies keep saying to go slow for lasting success.

OP, as others have said, get more protein and fiber into your diet. You need to up your protein macro and decrease your carb macro. Particularly on lifting days. Save the extra carbs for days that are strictly cardio.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories usually say I should eat around 2000 calories a day, but I am STARVING an hour or 2 after every meal or snack. I try stay just a bit under 2000 since some sites say 1900-1700 to maintain. Is my metabolism faster than these sites are guessing? I'm 5'4, around 110lbs, 18 years old, I run/do other cardio 4-5 times a week and do weights/body weight exercises 3-5 times a week. Besides that I just lay around all day. I don't remember a time I have been fully satisfied! And yes, I'm drinking enough water.

Quick question: Is this hunger you feel a head hunger, or an actual stomach hunger? "Laying around all day" will certainly play tricks and games with your mind to create that dreaded head hunger (boredom, so let's eat). You should eat if you feel stomach hunger, but avoid the head hunger stuff as it is the devil.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 3 and I maintain my weight at around 2,300 calories a day. I hardly ever feel hungry.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you don't see anything wrong with this approach???
  • paytenpar
    paytenpar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies, but EAT PROTEIN! it is seriously one of the most amazing things because it keeps you feeling full for so long. :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

nonsense.

I'm 5'2 and rarely feel hungry - you're hungry because you eat 700 cals a day. End of.

If you have to struggle and starve to stay at 112 maybe that is not your idea weight. That is no way to live.

You are already at a healthy weight so are just trying to lose vanity pounds - and choose to do so by starving yourself, your situation is really not relevant to the op, and saying you have to stave if you are short is stupid and wrong.

You are choosing to be hungry. You don't have to be.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories usually say I should eat around 2000 calories a day, but I am STARVING an hour or 2 after every meal or snack. I try stay just a bit under 2000 since some sites say 1900-1700 to maintain. Is my metabolism faster than these sites are guessing? I'm 5'4, around 110lbs, 18 years old, I run/do other cardio 4-5 times a week and do weights/body weight exercises 3-5 times a week. Besides that I just lay around all day. I don't remember a time I have been fully satisfied! And yes, I'm drinking enough water.

Quick question: Is this hunger you feel a head hunger, or an actual stomach hunger? "Laying around all day" will certainly play tricks and games with your mind to create that dreaded head hunger (boredom, so let's eat). You should eat if you feel stomach hunger, but avoid the head hunger stuff as it is the devil.

Totally agree with this.

Also eat more protein and fats :bigsmile: