How to start running?

Options
Hey everyone! I need help.
I really want to start running. Not fast, just to be able to run for long time without stopping. My problem is that I'm really bad at it. Everytime I run I can't do it more than a minute. I feel like I'm going to die and I can barely breath for like 10 minutes after I stop. What is wrong with me?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, unless you have asthma, it basically sounds like you're just out of shape. Start slow, you have to build endurance, it doesn't come naturally. Lots of people started with c25k, an app you can put on your phone that starts as a gentle walk/run and builds to running 5k without stopping.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ur totally normal just unfit like me I started running 7 days ago I jog a mile but I do just as much if not more brisk walking as I do jogging but stick with it and like me u will notice small improvements in your recovery and the length of time u can jog for but there is no quick fix u just have to plug away and keep on it and then u will see results good luck
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Everytime I run I can't do it more than a minute. I feel like I'm going to die and I can barely breath for like 10 minutes after I stop. What is wrong with me?

The usual response to this is that you're probably going too fast during your run, but to an extent it does depend on your base level of fitness.

If you can walk comfortably for 30 minutes then you're in a good place to start a Couch to 5K type programme, something that'll help you learn to run continuously for 30 minutes.

They'll generally take the form of a five minute walking warm up, then a series of run/ walk intervals that build up over a number of weeks.

People frequently find that slowing down helps them develop the endurance to run for longer, then once you can run for 30 minutes, albeit slowly, you can start thinking about improving your pace.

There is a C25K group on here that I'd suggesst dipping into; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-