FitBit?

Options
Ems500c
Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
OK, so I must live in the past time because until today I had no idea what FitBit was. I'm still a little confused so I searched it on the best buy website and got a general idea. Pretty good reviews.. I saw they have three of them, do you know if the calorie count is accurate on these? (Especially the ones you wear on your pants?) Would you recommend this or do you know of one that is better?? Every time I go to the gym I find myself taking pictures with my cell phone of my calorie count to make sure I log it correctly later. This morning at the gym, a stranger was like why don't you get a FitBit and said it was amazing and kept track of everything!

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Replies

• janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and I LOVE it! It tracks steps, calories, and even my sleep. Its so easy to use and I can wear it 24/7. It's waterproof and everything! :)
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I'm going tomorrow to take a look at them!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's a glorified pedometer. For walking, the calories burned are fairly accurate, but anything more in depth would require a heart rate monitor.

I have the One that the company sent me after my Zip died and I'm a big fan. But again, if you're doing more than walking I wouldn't bother.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's a good estimator of your overall activity level, usually. It works for walking, running, housework, yardwork, playing with your kids, dancing, working standing (eg, retail), some ellipticals, most steps-based activities. What it expects you to manually log (or ignore for calorie purposes) are biking, swimming and resistance exercises.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip - clips to my bra so it's out of sight and very secure, and the all day calorie estimate seem to match up with the numbers I've been using for the past few years, so I'd say mine's pretty accurate. I still have a HRM I use when I exercise, but the Zip motivates me to move more throughout the day.

Is it necessary? No, I've managed to lose the weight without it, but found one at a good price, and I love gadgets, so I picked it up. And like I said, it does motivate me to move more with the step tracking and goals to reach so many steps per day (and shows your rank among friends who also have one, so a little friendly competition helps too!). The Zip is very basic - no sleep tracking or flights of stairs, just steps, calories and distance. Doesn't need to be charged, it has a replaceable battery, same size my HRM takes, so that's convenient. :smile:

Go to their website and review the different models and what each one does. Check out reviews online on sites like Amazon or here on the boards. Hopefully that will help you decide.
  • jayjay159
    jayjay159 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a one and I love it. I find the steps, floors and calories to be accurate. I do use a HRM for running though and I log that through MFP or Runkeeper which then syncs back to Fitbit. When running, my HRM gives a higher calorie burn than the fitbit so if anything, it underestimates the calorie burn while running (could be different for different people).

I have found it to be really helpful in keeping me active on my rest days as I'll walk the long way round to certain places or walk more while I'm on the phone. For me, it has made me more aware which can only be a good thing.