Hypothyroid- just diagnosed..Trying to lose weight

Options
mami_d_3
mami_d_3 Posts: 12 Member
My name is Michelle, and I have been battling with my weight loss for over 10 years now. Never knew why nothing ever worked. I did everything from personal training to dieting and eating healthy. but all that did was maintain my weight.
I recently decided it was time for a physical I am 32 years old and had never been to a regular doctor. My OB/GYN never tested me for anything other than the normal things they test pregnant woman for. So as far as I know I have had this problem for awhile.

I was just diagnosed 2 days ago with hypothyroidism. I have started my medication today I will be taking 125mcg of Levothyroxine to begin with. I weigh 192lb today.

My plan is to continue eating healthy and managing my calorie intake and exercising as I have been doing for years.
It just became a routine since that was the only way I kept myself from gaining weight since was I stopped for even a day or to my weight will just go up an up.
Hopefully now that I am taking medication those things can actually work how they are supposed which is to help me lose weight.

So wish me luck and I would love to know how anyone else with the same condition has managed to lose weight.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hypo here too! Very Hard for me. I have been researching IDeas. Going to try Iodine (himalayan Salt). I am eating very healthy now. But it is a very big struggle to loose any weight. Even with Meds. So I try to switch it up with workouts. And I avoid all kinds of soy. was doing soy milk and realized I was having symptoms again.So we take longer but we can do this.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid medication for years since my 20's. I have lost 50 lbs. It might be a little slower but it can be done. Drink plenty of water. Be honest on logging. Exercise both cardio and weights. Weight training helps you build muscle which burns more calories when you work out. Soy interferes with the effectiveness of the medication. Don't give up.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was about your age when I was diagnosed. I lost 17 lbs the first month I was on the meds. I kept it off for about 12 years but middle age, bad habits and a few other things and I put it all back on and then some. Finally back to good habits now and it is coming back off. The meds aren't a miracle cure but they definitely help. Good luck, I hope they give you a boost all the way around! :flowerforyou:
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! After being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, it took a couple weeks on Synthroid before I started feeling any "different." The biggest change for me was that I started feeling as though I had more energy...which had the result of helping me to shake the depression I was suffering from and to start taking steps to manage my weight. Don't expect the meds alone to help directly with weight loss...I saw a modest decrease in my weight (less than 10 lbs) over the course of the first three months of taking the pills, but ultimately I learned that losing weight boils down to making dietary and exercise lifestyle changes, just as it does for those with normal thyroids. You can totally do this! Add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! After being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, it took a couple weeks on Synthroid before I started feeling any "different." The biggest change for me was that I started feeling as though I had more energy...which had the result of helping me to shake the depression I was suffering from and to start taking steps to manage my weight. Don't expect the meds alone to help directly with weight loss
    ^^^This. Synthroid & Cytomel reduce my fatigue, so I can be more active. But I kept gaining & gaining on the meds until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. I had thought I was gaining for "no good reason," but MFP showed me I was eating way too much.

Logging works.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! Just remember weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.
  • lsbolden
    lsbolden Posts: 1
    Options
    Michelle,
    Good luck! I know you meet your goals. My sister found out a couple years ago that she had the same problem. She's about to have her first baby after the loss of her husband. They keep checking her labs and so far so good. Just remember the laws of attraction. You're going to do great!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo to and I loose weight fine. I'm very close to my goal so it's super slow now but that's because I weigh so much less =)
  • mami_d_3
    mami_d_3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,
    And I know the meds are not a miracle pill, but I have carried on a healthy lifestyle and managed to lose a few pounds here and there but mostly maintaining my weight. So I believe that with the help of the meds and kicking my workouts up a few notches, I will lose what I want and eventually reach my goal.

Just so looking forward to not being so tired, I am tired of being tired and being perceived as the lazy and less outgoing one of the bunch.
  • lisajg7
    lisajg7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! and welcome to the club!! Hypothryoidism and My Fitness Pal!! I was diagnosed with Hoshimotos about 19 years ago. My weight has always been a struggle. However, once you get regulated on the medication, it should be helpful. My weight has gone up and down - but I believe mostly attributed to poor eating habits and lack of exercise. Although I understand that its hard to exercise when you don't feel well and you're always tired. However, when I was first diagnosed, the weight gain was a huge issue, along with many other symptoms I experienced. It took me a good year before I started feeling better. My biggest advice to you is to listen to your body. I can tell when my levels are off - more tired, weight gain, dry skin, etc. Don't ever be afraid to call your doctor and ask for a blood test to check your levels. Every time I've done that, my levels were off and my dosage would need to be changed. Luckily I've been at the same dosage and feeling fairly well for about 5 years. Knock on wood! I also suffer from Lupus and Fibromylaisia which is a whole other can of worms. My husband and I started a rigorous gym routine and joined My Fitness Pal about 2 months ago. Both of us are having success. Of course, him more than me!! Men!!