Goals Updated = QUESTION

Options
Originally when I started MFP, I set my Exercise Goals at 60 min Cardio for 3 days a week. Now that I'm really in this, I am actually doing about 40 min, 5 days a week.

Before updating my Goals this evening, my Weekly Goal for exercise calories was 1010. Now it is 810.

All in all, I'm burning about 1350 calories p/wk in exercise (500+ more than MFP's new "Weekly Goal" for me).

So here are my questions:
Should I reduce my exercise time?
Should I be sure to eat all my exercise calories to ensure my body doesn't freak out?

I'm a little befuddled by this. Maybe it's the late hour, or maybe I'm just not getting it. :huh: But I am a little concerned. Want to make sure I'm doing everything right and healthily.

Thanks for any advice and/or thoughts!

(BTW, I'm 5'8" and my weight info is in my signature, if that helps answering my question :smile: )

Replies

• Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    I've had it set at 4X a week / 60 min a day (4 hrs a week) since I started in July. I actually work out 9+ hours a week (I love working out...). So far it has worked great for me. I'd say just don't set it for more than you are going to work out.

Great job on your workouts!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Good job on getting out and getting fit. The thing to remember about MFP, the machines at the gym, the nutrition facts on packages etc. is that everything is an approximation of calories. No one knows exactly how many calories they take in or burn in a day.

So to answer all of your questions with a question: How do you feel?

If you're feeling good, your muscles get a good burn but can handle some more work the next day, you have good energy and aren't hungry then keep doing what you're doing.

If you're hungry, eat more.
    If you're thirsty drink more (try not to ever get to where you're thirsty)
    If you're too sore, work out less.
    If you have inexplicable pain, dizziness, palpitations consult a doctor and a nutritionist.

The key to this is that there's no magic key. Everyon'e different so the only one who can tell you if what you're doing is right for you is you.

Keep on chugging.

Randy
  • ttaylortulsa
    ttaylortulsa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Good job on getting out and getting fit. The thing to remember about MFP, the machines at the gym, the nutrition facts on packages etc. is that everything is an approximation of calories. No one knows exactly how many calories they take in or burn in a day.

So to answer all of your questions with a question: How do you feel?

If you're feeling good, your muscles get a good burn but can handle some more work the next day, you have good energy and aren't hungry then keep doing what you're doing.

If you're hungry, eat more.
    If you're thirsty drink more (try not to ever get to where you're thirsty)
    If you're too sore, work out less.
    If you have inexplicable pain, dizziness, palpitations consult a doctor and a nutritionist.

The key to this is that there's no magic key. Everyon'e different so the only one who can tell you if what you're doing is right for you is you.

Keep on chugging.

Randy

Reading this kind of made me do a mental slap-to-the-head-while-telling-myself-"DUH!". It makes sense. I don't know why I was trying to over-complicate it. Will definitely start focusing on listening to my body, and not just my menus/workout sched (although I love both!). It's time to start bringing all the pieces of this lifestyle change into a whole picture.

Thank you both!