Is this too agressive?

Options
I am currently 134 lb (5'6) and my ultimate goal is 125. BMI is currently 21. Is it too much for me to go for 1lb/week or will I just be burning too much muscle that way? I weight train and run with two rest days- I don't want to lose my hard earned muscle tone.

I ask because I was trying to do 1/2lb/week and for some reason I have trouble sticking to that deficit, yet a slightly higher one is easier for me (no idea why).

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you chose to strive for the 1 lb. then make sure you meet your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and have enough energy to support your workouts. There isn't anything wrong with trying it or shooting for some place in the middle like 0.75 lb. per week.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is what is usually recommended:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I would look at your food choices when you are at the lower goal and the higher one. My guess is you might be starting to incorperate some "trigger" foods into your diet when you are shooting for the higher goal, ones that makes you crave stuff or go on muchy sprees.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This is what is usually recommended:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I would look at your food choices when you are at the lower goal and the higher one. My guess is you might be starting to incorperate some "trigger" foods into your diet when you are shooting for the higher goal, ones that makes you crave stuff or go on muchy sprees.

That is *exactly* what's happening actually. I will try instead to get a few more calories through protein shakes, etc before moving to a lower goal.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    other things that might help, don't worry about "diet" foods if you need more caloried, use full fat dairy, nuts and peanut butter (the natural kind has alot less sugar and does not start cravings for me) are calorie dense, avacado too!