What to eat before and after a workout?

Options
Hi All! Sorry if this has been previously posted. What are some good suggestions for pre and post workout snacks. I am finding conflicting answers online. Some say a boiled egg before and some say a boiled egg after. I am so lost! Thanks for any help!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I ready somewhere that if you eat protein before you workout that your body will absorb more protein you eat after workout.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always eat a protein bar an hour before working out. Since my workouts are in the evening, I eat dinner right after, followed by a small protein shake
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Definitely something with protein. Make sure you drink water before, during and after!
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts I now have a protein shake on the drive to the gym (previously nothing). After my workout, I have oatmeal w/PB or egg/egg whites or protein bar.

Evening workouts (after work) I have a protein shake about 30 minutes to an hour before leaving work. After workout, I head home, make dinner and then eat. Sometimes I will skip the pre-workout protein shake and have it afterwards while I'm cooking dinner.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Carbs before, protein and carbs after.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Carbs before, protein and carbs after.

This. Carbs to fuel your workout, protein for muscle recovery and carbs to aid protein synthesis.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before and/or after...and definitely protein after. I'm not sure that meal timing really matters but i'm also not sure that it doesnt...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Depends on the work out. For a lifting session I don't eat anything other than a high protein breakfast about 3 hours before my workout. Then I eat lunch (high protein) right after.

When I cycle, I eat a banana or a Clifbar on the way to ride. I eat about 400 calories per hour while riding. That varies from bananas, to Clifbars to energy gels. Then I eat my dinner after the ride which could be a variety of things.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat within 3 hours of workout because i train better on an empty stomach. never had a problem with that even when i played rugby and was at 18% body fat. digesting+ training = nauseous for me. i just have to make sure i eat right after
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I eat a banana before and/or after...and definitely protein after. I'm not sure that meal timing really matters but i'm also not sure that it doesnt...

I read that meal time after affects fat oxidation.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I get sick if I eat before, but after I'll have a protein shake, a can of tuna, or some peanut butter.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm not an athlete or anything. For me, it depends on when I workout. If it's early in the morning, I tend not to eat anything because I just don't like eating anything that early. I always try to have protein afterwards.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for optimum performance in your training or are you looking for weight loss?
    You dont necessarily need to eat something before/after to give you more energy or to repair and replace. Some people fun into issues of losing weight because they feel they need to force something to eat for energy and then replenish afterwards. Knew a lady who did this recently as I asked why she went out for a big spaghetti dinner 4-5 hours before hitting up the gym and her ans was "arent you supposed to eat pasta for energy before working out?" and was under the assumption she needed to fuel and refuel.

That is great for some...as I would fuel for a race the day before but for every day workouts if you can get through them just fine on a normal eating schedule then have at it.

Intentionally putting 200-400 calories into your body for "fuel" and another couple hundred to replenish may "ruin" the cals burned.

I know when I was trying training for races and such and not worried about the weight I would have a big *kitten* choc milk afterwards. Probably around 250+ calories. That would take a bit of my actual burn away but was helpful in replenishing as choc milk is a great post workout drink and better than most of the sports drinks they gouge people on

Now with that said...all would not be lost by doing this. You would still be healthier by the workouts and such but you may not see the results on the scale as much if you force food before/after just to fuel/replenish.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For optimal performance and recovery, eating carbs and protein, while keeping fat low before and after your workout is the way to go. The reason for keeping fat low is that dietary fat periworkout causes your body to produce less growth hormone, which interferes with teh Gainzzz, and others have explained why carbs and protein are good.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm not an athlete or anything. For me, it depends on when I workout. If it's early in the morning, I tend not to eat anything because I just don't like eating anything that early. I always try to have protein afterwards.

I always wonder why people start there suggestions like this?
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for optimum performance in your training or are you looking for weight loss?
    You dont necessarily need to eat something before/after to give you more energy or to repair and replace. Some people fun into issues of losing weight because they feel they need to force something to eat for energy and then replenish afterwards. Knew a lady who did this recently as I asked why she went out for a big spaghetti dinner 4-5 hours before hitting up the gym and her ans was "arent you supposed to eat pasta for energy before working out?" and was under the assumption she needed to fuel and refuel.

That is great for some...as I would fuel for a race the day before but for every day workouts if you can get through them just fine on a normal eating schedule then have at it.

Intentionally putting 200-400 calories into your body for "fuel" and another couple hundred to replenish may "ruin" the cals burned.

I know when I was trying training for races and such and not worried about the weight I would have a big *kitten* choc milk afterwards. Probably around 250+ calories. That would take a bit of my actual burn away but was helpful in replenishing as choc milk is a great post workout drink and better than most of the sports drinks they gouge people on

Now with that said...all would not be lost by doing this. You would still be healthier by the workouts and such but you may not see the results on the scale as much if you force food before/after just to fuel/replenish.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I used to always have yogurt or banana on my way to working out when I first started training with a personal trainer thinking I needed it to last through the workout, then realized I didn't need to do that, that it was hindering my weight loss - now I only eat after I workout and it works better for me and I am seeing my weight go down now.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting adequate nutrition throughout the day, there's no reason to do anything in particular right before or right after a workout.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting adequate nutrition throughout the day, there's no reason to do anything in particular right before or right after a workout.

yeh, but I like a energy boost (carbs) before, and tryin 2 rebuild muscle, so some kinda protein after. either way, probably not ice cream and cake. Blizzard before, Cheesecake factory after. 6-pack end of day.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    personally, i like something mroe filling, i prefer to have porridge with peanut butter, yoghurt and a fruit and i usually exercise before lunch and dinner so ill have a protein shake and a meal which consists of protein (chicken/ eggs/ turkey/ fish) a whole grain (brown rice/ quinoa/ freekeh/ kamut/ farro) and at least one portion of veggies .