I've lost 18 pounds but at a plateau

Options
Hi my name is Michelle. I have been on here for 50 days, So far I have lost 18 pounds but now since July 1st I have been stuck at 225lbs. I'm not exercising but was wondering how much exercise do I need to start to see results, to start losing again. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. So far I have lost 18pounds but now since July 1st I have been stuck at 225lbs. I'm not exercising but was wondering how much exercise do I need to start to see results, to start losing again. Any advice would be great.

15 days does not equal a plateau.

Without more information about how much you are eating and what your habits are, it's hard to know what is going on.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't panic yet with a 2 week stall. You've probably already considered this, but you could even be at a stall due to water weight depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle.

It's a good idea to double-check your logging and that it's accurate.

You could try changing up your exercise routine as well. As your body adapts to a specific exercise, it expends fewer calories to perform it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you logging consistently and accurately? I took a quick look at your diary and some days you only have breakfast or breakfast and lunch logged. So either you're not logging your whole day or you're severely undereating - either way, not a great long term plan.

There aren't any specific exercises that you need to do - in fact, you can lose weight just fine without exercising. But it is good for your health and tends to give people the physical results they want after weight loss. Just start moving and try to find something you enjoy so you're more likely to stick with it. And when you log the exercise, make sure to eat back at least half of the earned calories.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you logging consistently and accurately? I took a quick look at your diary and some days you only have breakfast or breakfast and lunch logged. So either you're not logging your whole day or you're severely undereating - either way, not a great long term plan.

There aren't any specific exercises that you need to do, just start moving and try to find something you enjoy so you're more likely to stick with it. And when you log the exercise, make sure to eat back at least half of the earned calories.

I had the same question after looking at the diary. I'd say there is a very good chance of inaccurate logging; the good news is that it's an easy problem to fix!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Maybe try starting out with some regular walking. 20 minutes a day? Just gets you into the habit and you can expand it from there.

Also, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It just makes it easier since it is another tool to affect your net calorie balance.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Your diary has missing meals, solids weighed as cups and generic entries. There is no way of knowing how many calories you are actually eating if you don't at least try to log accurately :flowerforyou:
  • Enlightened2014
    Options
    Eat your MFP calories, and spread out meals you should have dinner. If you don't eat enough your body will try to store fat so you don't starve and weight will not go away.

Exercise, add some exercise if only walking every day. Saw your bio you are in CA too, take advantage of our weather and just walk. I started with 20 minutes, then 30, 45 now I walk 1 hour to 1.5 every day. I can burn 500+ calories each night which means I get to eat more, thus more energy and feel better. So many benefits of just getting the blood flowing, and making your body start working again.