Muscle weighs more.....what?

Options

Replies

• ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. Period. That's what that statement is trying to say. Everyone KNOWS that's what that statement is trying to stay. So.... can't we stop yet?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    When people say muscle weighs more than fat, the "by volume" is inferred.

Colloquial irregularities occur frequently in any language.

Since the rest of present company understood perfectly the intended meaning, being particular about the distinction is purely pedantic and arguably pretentious.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not a single person has ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. That's not what they said, and that's not what they meant.
  • slashbond
    slashbond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat. muscle is more dense than fat. so therefore with identical volumes you will get different mass. simple physics :)
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Please no one listen to anything op has said.
    that is all.
  • Dean649
    Dean649 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lets not forget, in the short term, other things can effect our weight that have nothing to do with fat or muscle. that is why you should not weigh your self so often. Maybe once a week and take measurements like once a month.

How much fluid is in your system today. It could be a couple pounds more or less than you did yesterday. Maybe you lost a pound of fat and holding 2 pounds of fluid today, you did not gain a pound. And on the more delicate side, Bowel activity. You could be holding in a lot of material which hold moisture, you could be 5 pounds lighter tomorrow than today. You did not lose weight and vise versa.

If you are going to weigh yourself everyday, expect weight jumps when you have not gained any fat, expect plateaus (where the weight stays exactly the same for many days straight even though you are being perfect on your diet and working out like crazy. This is all normal. If weighing every day, keep a chart. You want to look at the trend over time not the day to day number. over all, are you trending down? That is what you are looking for.

As for the Fat vs Muscle Weight thing, what is meant by that is that, Lets say one is losing fat gradually while building muscle. it is possible to get thinner while not changing your weight. Back in the day this happened to me. I was 174 with a belly, then by the end of the year or so, I was very strong and fit weighing 3 pounds more than I started with a very low body fat percentage.

But for most of us in our current shape,(or at least in my current shape) you should lose fat faster than you gain muscle. Muscle mass is actually much harder to build than it is to lose fat. Building muscle is a very slow process, And unlike Fat. your body eats away the access muscle that you do not use pretty quickly. While fat just does not want to leave the building.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    oh, its this post again

i think its a given that people are talking about density. youre nitpicking
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    OP looks like Emma Stone.

You may now resume an argument so pointless even I don't engage in it.

You are so right! On both counts!
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    But what if muscle weighs the same as a duck?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

You shouldnt really be weight training whilst eating a low calorie diet. as mentioned above i was told to eat a min of 2000 calories a day by my personal trainer.
    When i read muscle weighs more then fat ... that makes no sense to me. A pound is a pound ... 10 pounds is 10 pounds no matter the size of the object
    yah, nah

you should always be weight training. there are few fitness goals that wouldnt be easier met with weight training
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Then it might be made of wood ... or a witch.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

but what else floats in water?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

but what else floats in water?

very small rocks!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's been 20 minutes since this was last posted.

I missed the other ten versions of this topic today because... work. Does anyone else have bingo for today? If not... BINGO!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Please no one listen to anything op has said.
    that is all.

But she worked with a PT for several MONTHS!
  • Dean649
    Options
    Muscle is always good, especially if you are trying to lose fat. Heck, muscle burns calorie just by being there, if you put on a little more muscle, you are burning more calories at rest, even when you are asleep.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

If muscle weighs the same as a duck...then...it's made of wood?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

If muscle weighs the same as a duck...then...it's made of wood?

so we should build a bridge out of muscle?
  • Dean649
    Options
    If you throw a cannon ball out of a ship.. Does the sea level rise, lower or stay the same? This is a real physics question. Do you know the answer?