Does anyone else feel guilty after cheating on their diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I sometimes regret going over on my calories, but never guilty. I am pretty laid back and understand I can't hit my calories, macros and exercise goals every day. With that said I try real hard to stay under my net calories on a weekly basis. Sometimes I fail. That is the way life is.

I don't want my calorie consumption and cardio to rule my life. I just want it to live harmoniously with the rest of my activities.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes. I overate yesterday and I feel guilty. Not in the sense that I have committed a murder, but in the sense that I am annoyed with myself and regret it. Of course I regret it - now I have to suffer extra by having a fast day or so to keep the loss going.
    I wouldn't have to if I hadn't done it - regret.

I don't spend the day thinking about it, but I do feel extraordinarily fat today.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To jump up on my soapbox, you aren't cheating and guilt is not helpful in this context, I don't think. There are definitely times I fail to live up to my own goals and I feel a little bad about that, but since feeling bad does no good I try to just focus on what I can do or how to improve or make it easier for myself (for example, if I eat something I'd prefer not to have because I'm hungry and didn't have options available, I make sure next time I'll have options available).

My suspicion--based on other areas of life, is that experiencing a pattern of "cheating" and guilt makes it easier to get into the kind of cycle where you binge either because you figure you already blew it and it doesn't matter or because the bad and shameful feelings about yourself are the kinds of things that you've learned to deal with through binging. I may be assuming too much or extrapolating from my own emotional issues over time, but that's one reason why I don't think the concept of cheating helps. I have a goal--for me, not for anyone else--and try to treat it practically, as I would goals in other areas of life. I do as well as possible meeting that goal over time. If I don't, well I learn from that, but I can certainly get closer or farther from it--it's not a right or wrong thing, but a process. So long as I'm not above maintenance, I'm not going backwards and if I am it can be corrected easily enough.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Not any more. The 80/20 rule works.
    When I want something here is what I do:

Portion it
    Log it
    Own it

Tomorrow is another day.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have never felt any guilt about what I eat.

What some consider "junk food" I consider part of my healthy lifestyle. In moderation you can eat almost anything and still achieve your goals.

It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself. If a daily calorie/macro goal is too difficult for you, why not try a weekly calorie/macro goal instead for increased flexibility?

#IIFYM
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Depends on what is going on. Did I workout excessively? Am I tired? Not feeling well? Sometimes your body needs the extra and as long as you don't make a habit of it, don't sweat it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No, but I have a happy and healthy relationship with food.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    NO!! I don't diet. I make good choice, and there is room in my life to enjoy delicious foods!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Nope, I used to feel guilt but that is when I thought I had to be perfectly miserable dieting to lose weight. The guilt then was more a feeling of oh boy yet another failed attempt at losing weight.

This time no guilt because I understand I don't have to be perfect just consistent. I don't have to be miserable, no foods are off limits, and there will be days I'm under, right on target, or over but it's not the one day that matters, it's all of it put together that is what will make the difference.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to, and that would send me off track and ruin all the good things I had going. Now I just chalk it up to a bad day and move onto tomorrow and work on being better.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to, but not anymore. I am not a success or a failure based on what I eat. It's just food, which we need to survive. I hated my all or nothing outlook and it made me miserable. Now I accept that some days I will stick pretty close to my plan and other days I won't. It's no big deal, it's life. Be kind to yourself.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Like many many many others have said - I used to, not anymore. It did nothing but create a bad relationship with food and I started to see food as the devil. :devil: When it's a fantastic joy humans should love and appreciate. Love you food.
  • blushingbride2bee
    blushingbride2bee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try so hard to eat healthy, but when I'm at home for the summer I'm around my family who do not eat generally very healthy. So I find it hard not to fall to my cravings, and then once I fall I fall hard and binge. After that, I feel ridiculously guilty and upset and feel like I just wasted a week of good eating. It is really upsetting. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you handle it?

said no one ever.....

LOL
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    It's pretty normal girly. It's okay that you feel guilty, just remember how guilty and poopy you felt after binging and think of that next time you're about to binge