Peanuts help improve body composition!

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I found this interesting study. In diets of the same caloric value, a diet that includes peanut products lead to more fat oxidation and improved body composition. Thoughts?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1002/oby.20746/

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hmm i wonder if thats why heavy lifters rave about peanut butter?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Just did some searching around and it looks like you would be hard-pressed at this point to find a source for "high-oleic" peanuts. There do seem to be some peanut oils available but quick google shopping and searches indicates that all that's really available right now are regular peanuts cooked in high oleic safflower and soybean oils. Other peanuts for sale that mention oleics seem to be espousing the benefits of regular peanuts.

I do love peanuts and have found shelling and eating them one at a time leads to my being sated with one or two servings versus scarfing them by the handful out of a jar.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting study. In diets of the same caloric value, a diet that includes peanut products lead to more fat oxidation and improved body composition. Thoughts?

Pertinant quotes from the above link shown below:
    Funding agencies: We thank CNPq, CAPES, and the Peanuts Collaborative Research Support Program for the financial support.
    There are other rich sources of oleic fatty acid other than nuts. Corroborating the present findings, the consumption of an olive oil-enriched diet during 4-weeks by overweight and obese men, decreased fat mass accompanied by an increment in lean body mass without significant change in body weight [37]. Moreover, after following a MUFA enriched-diet with a mix of olive oil and nuts for 4-weeks, a significant reduction in body weight and fatness was observed in overweight and obese man [38]. Furthermore, although an olive oil-enriched diet did not change body weight and fatness of the obese individuals, it prevented central body fat distribution leading to an improvement in insulin sensitivity [39]. When two MUFA-enriched diets within a 6-months weight reduction program were compared (olive oil versus rapeseed), no significant difference between then was verified, yet, both were effective in reducing body weight, fat mass, and waist circumference with an increment in lean mass [40]. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that oleic fatty acid improves body composition to reduced cardiovascular disease risk.

So the " Peanuts Collaborative Research Support Program" provided some of the funding for the study. And you can get the same effect from olive oil and other nuts.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    That's not only for lifters. The study was done on a calorie deficit and showed much less lean mass loss and considerably more fat loss in the groups with peanuts, especially high-olic.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I disagree.
    Peanut butter and a spoon made me fat!
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Pertinant quotes from the above link shown below:
    Funding agencies: We thank CNPq, CAPES, and the Peanuts Collaborative Research Support Program for the financial support.
    There are other rich sources of oleic fatty acid other than nuts. Corroborating the present findings, the consumption of an olive oil-enriched diet during 4-weeks by overweight and obese men, decreased fat mass accompanied by an increment in lean body mass without significant change in body weight [37]. Moreover, after following a MUFA enriched-diet with a mix of olive oil and nuts for 4-weeks, a significant reduction in body weight and fatness was observed in overweight and obese man [38]. Furthermore, although an olive oil-enriched diet did not change body weight and fatness of the obese individuals, it prevented central body fat distribution leading to an improvement in insulin sensitivity [39]. When two MUFA-enriched diets within a 6-months weight reduction program were compared (olive oil versus rapeseed), no significant difference between then was verified, yet, both were effective in reducing body weight, fat mass, and waist circumference with an increment in lean mass [40]. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that oleic fatty acid improves body composition to reduced cardiovascular disease risk.

So the " Peanuts Collaborative Research Support Program" provided some of the funding for the study. And you can get the same effect from olive oil and other nuts.

Peanuts Collaborative Research Support Program is a collaboration for improving agricultural and safety aspects of peanuts, like reducing aflatoxins, especially in developing countries. It's not a "big farma" or "a company who tries to push their products", but that aside.. this is good news to those who love the damn legume, like myself!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    True or not, me and my peanut butter are together forever.
  • Sofaa1
    Sofaa1 Posts: 19
    Options
    Interesting. I hope this is true because I love my all natural peanut butter!