Abs work-out routines, suggestions? What do you do?

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
I'm currently doing strong-lifts 5x5 (only started 2-3 weeks ago) and on top of that I do bicep curls (on the pulley-system to try to isolate my biceps better), tricep dips and pull ups (on the assisted system which counteracts some of my weight) and high row on the pulley system again when on a weight lifting day. I've also been doing 30 days abs, but I just find it SO BORING! I am on day 27 and I can easily do the numbers of crunches, sit ups and leg raises (although these with more difficulty) without feeling much in my abs, so it is literally boredom which makes me want to stop! I think I need to do something higher resistance (more weight) with fewer reps, but I don't really know what are the best choices of ab exercises. I've also heard there are some ab exercise that are actually very bad for your back (such as sit-ups) I don't know how true this is but I also don't know which exercises to avoid for this reason!

What ab exercises do you do? Do you have a routine? Any suggestions of good abs exercises where I can incorporate increasing weights as I improve (rather than increasing reps as much as 30day abs does)? Youtube links would be great, or just names of the moves so I can go look them up myself :) I am going to keep on incorporating the plank with longer and longer times as I find this very difficult so feel like I am doing something!

(As an added note, any good triceps exercise recommendations would also be greatly appreciated, I've had to give up tricep pulldowns as it was causing agonising pain in my shoulder :()

Replies

• ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Larcher91. Here are some of the exercises that I do. Youtube definitely has videos of these moves.
    Plank - either on elbow or straight arm;
    Side plank
    Side plank dips
    Stability Ball (SB) Plank
    SB Jackknife
    Ski abs (a move by Shaun T in Insanity)
    Mountain climbers
    Bicycles

That should get you started. You can them for an amount of time, i.e., 30 seconds, 60 seconds. You can do 3 sets of 10-15 reps if you like also.

As for triceps, you can do diamond push ups, tricep dips which only require your own body weight. You can do tricep kickbacks either standing or in a plank position (this works your core at the same time so you'd be getting double for your trouble so to speak).

Hope this helps. Keep me posted on what you pick.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd just recommend mentally replacing "abs" with, generally, "core". That filters a lot of the boring routines like... sit-ups. Forces you to engage in a more dynamic way such that abs would be targeted anyway.

For example, heavy kickboxing for an hour (on a bag is fine). That's my preference. Rather cathartic, too. Superset with things like crunches if you want, but I daresay you won't need to and you won't get bored.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ab roller, rope crunches, hanging leg raises, all sorts of planks-don't get into a "routine" with abs. Use weight, different angles and your body to mix it up and you will see better results.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do any ab exercises while doing 5x5 unless your core is holding you back from linear progression (it probably isn't)
    If you want to add it out of boredom i think the best would be weighted back extensions and standing (or kneeling) ab pulldowns
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I used to do the Power 90 200 Abripper routine only about 15 min 3 times a day but you do feel it and you dont get bored if it gets easier ad 10 reps to each excersise. Or you could move up to his P90X Abripper X routine. Just google it you will see the excersises required.
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I go to an abs class for a half hour twice a week (because I am not this creative myself!). Here are some of the things we do (that haven't already been mentioned):

side plank with a weight: do a side plank, hold a weight in the air above you and bring it down under your body and back up. it gets pretty challenging after about 10.

weighted crunch: hold a weight behind your head and do as many crunches as you can

lay on your back with one knee bent and the other straight. hold a weight in the opposite hand of your straight leg and do a cross over crunch keeping your leg straight bring it straight up and bring the weight to meet your foot. I hope that explanation makes sense! haha

saxon bends with a weight above your head

sit on a stability ball while holding a weight. roll out to a comfortable abs position and crunch up while holding the weight above you. while you crunch up bring the wight down: go to your left, then center, then right. make sure to use your abs and not just move your arms on this one.

monkey ball

hold a weight in both hands while sitting on the floor with legs straight out. bend your knees slightly or lift your legs off the ground completely. twist back and fourth and touch the weight to the floor.

rollercoasters

lay on your back, hold a weight in both hands, and put your legs straight up in the air. do short crunches up to touch the weight to your feet.

scissor kicks

leg raises: alternating which way you go slowly for a 5 count (example: do 10 where you go up fast and down for a 5 count, then do 10 where you go up for a 5 count and down fast)

hopefully that helps, that's all that comes to mind for now!!
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow loads of suggestions thanks! I'm in for an evening of youtubing! I'm going to look them all up and try as many as possible to find ones I like!

OrthorexiaNer good idea to maybe class it as core, although I consider SL5x5 to be core exercises hence why I was looking for very targeted ab exercise. Kick boxing sounds fun, if my gym starts running that class I'd definitely be interested in doing it :) although at the moment I don't have time as I (am supposed to) do 3 runs a week (first half marathon in October!) and 3 weight lifting days a week plus 1 rest day and I can only JUST fit that in with work and other commitments!

Mayfrayy I don't know if my abs are holding me back, probably way too early for them to be doing so anyway! I know I definitely struggled a lot with the latest dead lift weight, I thought that I was going to snap in half! But I think that's because it was heavy (for me) rather than excessively weak abdominal muscles!

I'm going to try lots of the planks for definite and weighted crunches, I'll update with the other ones I choose to do as well! I'm excited about mixing it up! I'm thinking I might have 2 ab routines that I can alternate with my alternating 5x5 workouts