does zumba really work?

Options
so i keep seeing it everywhere and im sure its a good workout cause your moving around a bunch, but is it more for toning or for weight loss? ive tried a ton of different workout dvds and there all kinda eh..except for jillian michaels which is hard but im not exactly seeing the lbs drop off of me.

I have about 17 pounds to loose to my goal weight but id be happy loosing 12 (pre baby weight)
so is it something i should look into getting to drop the weigh? or save it for the end when i really wanna tighten things up?

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It can do both depending on what you put into it. You can burn major calories dancing around. I'm afraid someone is going so slip on the floor with the amount of sweat I produce doing it. That said, there are some aspects that can isolate muscle groups (abs, things - squats) and tone also.
  • jyt2573
    Options
    Let me just say, Zumba really DOES work. It is the whole deal - cardio, toning, balance and coordination. It has everything except weight training, and there are even classes now that do use weights. I have only ever taken live classes (not from a dvd) but the workout I got from them far exceeded any time I spent on the treadmill or elliptical. Due to my schedule changes, I haven't been able to take a Zumba class for about six months now and I sorely miss it. I am seriously looking into getting some dvd's so I can get back into my routine. Take a class or rent a dvd to try it out. I'm betting you'll be hooked! :happy:
  • htdavidson
    Options
    Yes it does! That has been the majority of my workouts and it can burn anywhere from 500-900 calories depending on your level of exertion. Doing that and watching my calories, I have lost 21 pounds in 6 weeks, and it's fun to boot!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Is the Zumba Wii game out yet? Did anyone try it? What do you think?

Shannon
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks. yah i was gonna get the dvd. i have a 9 month old at home and i try to get in a workout in the morning. i know it can burn lots of calories but i cant do it for like 2 hrs a day..i cant with the lil one crawling around.. so i mean, can i still get a good workout if i do it for 45 min to an hr a day? and is it hard? a got some random dvd once and i couldnt do the workout because she just moved through it wayy to fast.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I'm a little too "punk rock" to do Zumba. From what I've seen it's basically just cardio, so really no different from any other type of aerobics class. If you want to look tighter and toned, you're going to have to weight train to build muscle. If you're just looking to burn calories, then cardio would be fine.
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    yah im not looking for toning..i mean, as much as i want to tone..i want to loose the pounds first.
    and i hav ethe same fear. i cannot stand the music but im hoping i can just deal with it, if its a good workout.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Well, I find that most women need to get over their fear of lifting weights (and I mean REAL weights, not the little pink 5lb hand weights). Muscle burns fat and raises your resting metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more fat your burn. Currently, I'm not dropping the weight real fast, but I'm loosing inches like crazy (not to mention starting to see my abs again). There is a reason the term "skinny fat" exists :wink:
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    zumba rules!

an hour of zumba is a great cardio workout. i don't think i'd want to go 2 hours in one set. i'm usually dripping sweat by the end of 60 minutes.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    Well, I find that most women need to get over their fear of lifting weights (and I mean REAL weights, not the little pink 5lb hand weights). Muscle burns fat and raises your resting metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more fat your burn. Currently, I'm not dropping the weight real fast, but I'm loosing inches like crazy (not to mention starting to see my abs again). There is a reason the term "skinny fat" exists :wink:

agreed...with all but the amount of weight. for me, i am getting great results using less than 10 pounds on my sculpting DVD's with my regular cardio. lifting lots of weight can be fun, but isn't needed. especially when you have a small child to tend to. quality vs quantity in your workout would be best at this time in your life.

Cardio is great for the body and needed. strength training is need also to fight bone lose and to fuel your metabolism. cardio has little effect on weight loss 6 hours later. muscle/toning, will keep your body burning calories 24/7. and will take off the inches.

many programs work, as long as we do the work and bring our best to our workouts.

cheering you on!
    Jane
  • meitramaemcmillan
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and for 50 min we do all strength training. A typical workout would be me doing squats with a 180 pounds, and lifting 100 pounds. I have lost 22 pounds in a month! But he can't stress enough that cardio is important too. But you need both, you can loose muscle if you do too much cardio. So do Zumba and some weight lifting!!!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Im a zumba junkie. I have been going for three months and have lost all my weight with the help of zumba and MFP. Love the classes love this site and love the lifestyle change they have both given me. I encourage anyone to try a class twice!!!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Anything will work, I think the key is do you enjoy it. You should always do what you enjoy because will keep doing and be willing to push it to new levels.

But keep in mind no aerobic activity is going to "tone" only real strength training is going do that by making your muscles firmer and bigger. Also keep in mind that most women will not going to get big from lifting weights just stronger and firmer.
  • Fluffles21
    Options
    being punk rock isnt any excuse. im pretty punk rock but i do my zumba workouts through yotube videos of classes. you can atually find a lot of hit songs that yo wouldnt expect to have zumba dances. its pretty awesome and it really does work. oh yeah and i agree that more girls need to get over their fear of lifting REAL weights!! =D
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    so i keep seeing it everywhere and im sure its a good workout cause your moving around a bunch, but is it more for toning or for weight loss? ive tried a ton of different workout dvds and there all kinda eh..except for jillian michaels which is hard but im not exactly seeing the lbs drop off of me.

I have about 17 pounds to loose to my goal weight but id be happy loosing 12 (pre baby weight)
    so is it something i should look into getting to drop the weigh? or save it for the end when i really wanna tighten things up?

YES it does work. I started it in January and really did not change anything additional...I mean, I count calories but I never really pigged out before. Zumba is really the only exercise I have done and I have lost 13 pounds since I started. But more importantly, I have lost size. I went from wearing a size 12 (almost a little tight) to wearing a size 8 very flatteringly (is that a word?) well :)
    I love Zumba so much I went and got certified to teach it.
    That all said, you will get OUT of Zumba what you put INTO Zumba. If you make very dynamic movements you will burn more calories, if you keep it low key you will not burn as much.
  • joelou
    joelou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing Zumba this week. I will be attending one class per week at my local gym. I am also going to the gym doing cardio and weights five days a week. How often are you ladies doing Zumba that ye are seeing the results? Should I invest in a dvd do you think?
    The ladies that have had great weight loss, are ye attending a class or doing it at home?
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am a zumba instructor and have taken tons of classes. Everything depends on three things....

1. The instructor needs to be strong and be capable of kicking your *kitten*. There are lots of crappy instructors out there.
    2. You have to want your *kitten* kicked. Yes its fun, its a party, etc.... but if during the class you aren't wondering how you will get through the hour.....you aren't working hard enough
    3. Glue your mouth shut. You can't eat whatever you want because someone told you you burn 1000 calories. You don't. Its a decent workout. Not the best.

As for punk rock.... lol. The hottest zumba instructors in the field are total bad *kitten*. Rjpped, tatted, and mohawked. Never let a need to hang on to a persona, label, or stereotype keep you from an experience. YOU make an experience reflect you.... not the other way around!
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Well said! :) Lift lift lift!
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You need to do both cardio and weight training to see real lasting results. Cardio alone is not enough. Zumba is fun and I love it but its not a complete program. I bought the zumba dvds and there were no strength training components so I moved on to something else that worked better for me and I saw results right away. Find what works for you but don't skip on the weight training it raises your metabolism and provides tone no one wants loose skin after they lose the weight.
  • ConquistadorofLife
    ConquistadorofLife Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the 'punk rock' thing is too sterio typical, i like this site because most of that is left at the log in page, and we all just want to help every one get to their goals,

how ever, reading this, i am soo borrowing my sister in law's Zumba dvds haha