Breaking down muscle

Options
I am a 5 ft 4 woman with a pretty athletic build. I gain muscle very easily. Although many people say that women don't get bulky, I do. My frame is somewhat stocky. Looking at some recent photographs of myself, I hate how bulky my shoulders and arms have become from lifting. Does anybody know how to lose muscle bulk?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer Calories, including low protein and stop exercising.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't use the muscles at all.

OR

You could learn to love yourself the way you are. We are are own worst critic and I'm sure you are the only one who thinks that about your shoulders.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am a 5 ft 4 woman with a pretty athletic build.

Checked your pics. You are not bulky, imho.
    Actually, you look dang good.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

OR

You could learn to love yourself the way you are. We are are own worst critic and I'm sure you are the only one who thinks that about your shoulders.

Please listen to this. I agree that we are our own worse critics. There is nothing wrong with your shoulders or arms.
  • emsainz20
    emsainz20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Your bulky shoulders is because you have fat over them. That's why you're bulky cause of fat, not because of muscle. You'd look a lot better if you reduce your body fat.

If you want to still lose muscle, and slow down your metabolic rate making easier to get fat then stop eating, and start doing a ton of intense exercise, that should do the trick.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    In for storm.

Ditto.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I am a 5 ft 4 woman with a pretty athletic build.

Actually, you look dang good.

I would second this and I find it interesting that you have this posted in your profile;

"There is a story they tell of two dogs…
    Both at separate times walk into the same room.
    One comes out wagging his tail while the other comes out growling.
    A woman watching this goes into the room to see what could possibly make one dog so happy and the other so mad.
    To her surprise she finds a room filled with mirrors.
    The happy dog found a thousand happy dogs looking back at him while the angry dog found a thousand dogs growling back at him.
    What you see in the world around you is a reflection of who you are."

There's another moral here - can you see it?
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

OR

Please listen to this. I agree that we are our own worse critics. There is nothing wrong with your shoulders or arms.

I agree with the others that there is nothing wrong with your shoulders and arms. However, you could check out Brett Contreras website, he has an article on this subject, "How to attain a slender look," which I think you will find interesting.

ETA: the solution is NOT to stop exercising! I highly encourage you to read the Contreras article.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think they look normal. Like an average woman's shoulders. All of you looks fit without any part I would say is overly muscular.

In the fitness industry nice round defined shoulders are a must. I wish mine would grow faster so I can compete in another show soon.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Exactly. No surprise, really.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You do not gain muscle easily. NObody gains muscle easily. You are not a special snowflake, sorry.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure if you're just fishing for complements. You aren't bulky at all. You look like a normal woman. But follow what everyone else said.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you're bulky, what am I?! :drinker:

I quite like the look I've got going on.

I also liked the story about the dogs!! :smile:

IMO every part of your body looks like a totally normal women...except your abs because they look very fit.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You have a killer body. What the hell you talkin about?!
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You have a killer body. What the hell you talkin about?!

^^^^^^^^^^^^ totally this.

I wish my shoulders were like yours, mine slope and I'm forever having to drag my bra straps back up.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't see any bulk....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm all for working to obtain the look you want, but there's also loving the body you live in.

For instance, I will never have a thigh gap. You have shapely shoulders.