Abs/Core that don't involve being on the ground?

Options
I really want to strengthen my abs/core because I'm hearing (aka Googled) that it helps to have a strong abs/core if you're having back problems. The problem is that it hurts to get down on the floor to do normal crunches and I do not have the upper body strength (yet) to do planks. Does anybody know of anything I can do standing up or even sitting? I'm thinking that I should try crunches while on a big balance ball that we have here at home but I'm worried about losing my balance and hurting myself. So I come here to see if there are any ideas.

Thank you!

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    steam-engine_-_step_2.max_.v1-e1348706626460-264x300.jpg
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts do a fantastic job of developing a strong core: squats, deadlifts, overhead press.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Google 'standing ab exercises'.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's lots of stuff if you Google "standing core exercises." If you don't have a medicine ball for some of the twisting exercises, a soccer ball (or the like) would do for now, until you're at the point where a medicine ball is an option.

Some of the standing exercises can be done with the use of the back of a chair, for additional stabilization, if you're worried about falling. Additionally, there are seated core exercises that can be done in a regular chair, instead of on the fitness ball.

Here are a few that came up:

https://www.sharecare.com/video/diet-and-fitness/barre-exercises/standing-core-workout

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42

Good luck!! :)
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you so much because I didn't even think to Google what I was looking for (it's been one of those days). Or looking on YouTube. Thanks again!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts do a fantastic job of developing a strong core: squats, deadlifts, overhead press.

Second this!

I would steer you away from crunches and the like because, speaking freely, I believe they are a total waste of time.
  • RhiLlew
    RhiLlew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of back problems but a combination of pilates and powerlifting has really helped and I barely get trouble at all now. Whether or not these are suitable forms of exercise for you may depend on why your back is hurting - check with a doctor before launching into an exercise programme perhaps? Just to be safe :-)

Pilates requires floor-work but movements are slow and the focus is on body control as opposed to dynamic movements that can jar your body (such as the badly performed crunches I used to do!).Usually once you are down on the mat you dont have to get up for a while so you're not having to leap up and down all session. Also, there are lots of progression too so exercises build in difficulty as you get stronger to keep challenging you.

When I started powerlifting I couldn't even do a push up. Now I do weighted squats, deadlifts, bench press, power cleans, etc. Aim for compound exercises (i.e. exercises that work multiple muscles groups such as squats, deadlifts and bench press). Don't be put of by all the jargon - here are loads of resources online to advise you on exercises and prgrammes. I recommend: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

It helps to find someone who can show you the exercises and "spot you" when you perform them.

My advice- try different things and see which one you enjoy doing the most. Dancing might be a good option too :-)

Hope this helps
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You could always do some dumbbell or kettle ball moves too. Dumbbell side bends or kettle ball throws are awesome and work the core. Also, any kind of stabilization move is going to help you.

Try this: http://fitandbliss.com/2014/02/18/great-ab-exercise-to-shrink-that-waist/