Is This Scale Broken?

Options
I'm asking for a little encouragement this morning. I gained 2 lbs last week after my knee surgery. I am unable to exercise, but I have been sticking to my food plan and staying within my calories. I thought that since I am back on my feet (sort of) and hobbling around that the 2 lbs would come off and I would start losing again. My scale seems to love the number it is stuck on because it won't budge.:grumble:

Sorry for the whine!:sad: I'm just trying to talk myself out of just giving up.

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My guess is water weight.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It could be affected by your surgery (swelling, medication, etc.). Don't be so hard on yourself. Stay the course.
  • YoderKatie
    YoderKatie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    don't give up!!! 2 pounds the scheme of things is NOTHING, once you're up and walking around you'll be back on track with your weight loss, don't stress about it - just look forward and stay positive. you can do it!

Katie
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you are holding fluid due to swelling around your knee? Try not to fret. Watch your calories and keep them down since you can't move too much. Focus more on healing!! :flowerforyou:
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    Dont give up. I doubt you gained 2 lbs. of fat since you have been eating coerectly. It probably is fuild retention. After you get back in the groove of things those two pounds will come off easy. Just dont ever give up.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to give you a reality check here...PUT AWAY THE EFFING SCALE.

I know you're concerned about not being able to exercise right now and lose...but post-surgery you really should be making sure you get healthy, clean foods into your body because your body really needs it. Your weight is obviously going to be up for a while due to fluid retention from swelling, etc...

Set yourself to maintenance for a little while.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jill, put the scale away. I agree you probably are swollen and have tons of extra white blood cells doing their job right now. Hang in there and get some rest. You'll be back on your feet before you know it.
  • chronosfire
    Options
    You're probably still puffed up after the surgery. I had my ACL reconstructed a few years ago, and it took a couple of weeks before all the fluid build up went down, and that caused me to gain pounds according to the scale.

Plus as weird as this sounds, if you had surgery you might not be distributing your weight the normal way, so when you stand on a scale you might actually be pressing down more, therefore giving you a false gain.

I second the put the scale away though!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    2lbs does not a failure make. We're in this forever. 2lbs is small potatoes in the scope of forever.

And cut yourself some slack. You're recovering from surgery :)

Charmagne
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    It could be affected by your surgery (swelling, medication, etc.). Don't be so hard on yourself. Stay the course.

I agree!!!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks, Everyone! :smile:
    I feel much better! I'm such a goober.:tongue: I hadn't really thought about how much fluid retention is contributing to my knee being 2 or 3x it's normal size. I think I will put my scale away! Thanks for all of the encouragement and support!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    I'm glad to see you're already feeling better about the situation. It has to be frustrating not being able to work out as you would like, but keep taking care of yourself, it's worth it! Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in a non hobbly way soon! :smile: