Spirulina - anyone ever heard/used this?

FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Any information on how it's used, if you have used it - what's your feedback? I would also like to know the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Yes, Spirulina is a green product to alkaline the body. It's actually freshwater algae. You can take it in pill form on powder to make a shake. They are a good source of chlorophyll.
  • But what does it do for you? Why should someone consider it?
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I've been reading up on it. It's suppose to help with energy and muscle recovery. It's used for fasting as well... Just wanted some feedback on proper use and also if anyone has used it and has experienced benefits.
  • This link has a lot of great info re spirulina. .

http://healthrecipes.com/benefits_spirulina.htm

Hope this helps!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I do use Spirulina and Chlorella in my smoothies and take a pill form of it when I am not going to have a smoothie.

If you are going to take Spirulina, you should also include Chlorella. Both of these super foods combined are exceptional in their helath benefits!!

No other food offers anywhere near the health benefits of spirulina (except for its close relative, chlorella). Spirulina is an incredibly dense green superfood, rather than a nutritional supplement.

Just one tablespoon of spirulina
    has the nutritional value of 3 or 4 servings
    of common vegetables.

Spirulina is widely used as an ingredient in most green superfood powders and is beneficial as an aid in weight-loss programs.

Spirulina has been found to have significant positive effects on people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Studies show that spirulina has the ability to reduce fasting blood sugar levels in the body after 6 to 8 weeks of intake.

Spirulina contains the essential fatty acid gamma-linoleic acid, which can help prevent conditions such as heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, and even cancer.

Spirulina helps support a healthy pH balance in your body. A diet heavy on acidic foods such as animal proteins and grains can be effectively balanced by the alkaline properties of spirulina.

Among the many other benefits of spirulina are the following:

• inhibits the power of many viruses — including HIV, flu, mumps, measles, and herpes
    • helps diminish allergies such as hay fever
    • helps protect the liver from toxins
    • helps reduce blood pressure and cholesterol
    • helps control symptoms of ulcerative colitis
    • exerts strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects
    • helps boost the immune system

Benefits of Spirulina: Cleansing & Detoxification. When you put your body under extreme stress, such as intense physical training, toxins and free radicals are released from your tissues. The chlorophyll in spirulina helps eliminate these waste products, and cleanses your liver, kidneys and blood. When the liver and kidneys are working more smoothly, everything else in the body works better, too.

This cleansing effect is also important if you're on any sort of low-carb diet (Atkins diet, South Beach diet, etc.). These types of diets can place a heavy burden on the liver and kidneys, due too the increased elimination of excess ketones that occurs.

The benefits of spirulina also include protection against environmental toxins, air and water pollution, and other contaminants that you're being exposed to every day.
  • spirulina is blue algae, I thought. I use it in tea form and typically can't take it after 3 p.m. because it'll keep me up. Spirulina helps give us energy, all natural. Google it. In fact, I need to get another box.
  • i take both as well. it has help with my energy all around.
  • it's great for for peri menopausal women ;0) We changed to a Mediterranean diet lifestyle 17+ months ago and really have noticed a big change in energy. On occasion, I will have a spirulina tea if I perhaps didn't get enough rest the night before or during the warm months of the year when energy is low due to the heat.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Woah! Pinkmoon... 179 lbs lost?!?!? That's INCREDIBLE! Congrats! :)

Great info on this stuff! I never heard of it but am going to check it out! Thanks for posting!
This discussion has been closed.