Deadlifts...Am I Doing Them Wrong?

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hi guys,
Yesterday while doing barbell deadlifts; I hit a new PR of 225 for 1..it felt great, didn't feel any type of twinge or awkwardness in my body while lifting it. But as today progresses, I'm feeling all of the soreness/tightness in my back, majority of it in my lower back and front of my shoulders/delts, but none of the soreness in my legs.
:indifferent:
So I guess my question is, where should I be feeling sore IF I am doing deadlifts correctly. :huh: I ask because even though I have deadlifted before, I've never felt this sore in my back as a result of it. So I'm not sure if I was doing correctly before at a lighter weight and just didn't hit the targets it should have, or if perhaps last night was the first time I did it correctly.

Thank you.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Yesterday while doing barbell deadlifts; I hit a new PR of 225 for 1..it felt great, didn't feel any type of twinge or awkwardness in my body while lifting it. But as today progresses, I'm feeling all of the soreness/tightness in my back, majority of it in my lower back and front of my shoulders/delts, but none of the soreness in my legs.
    :indifferent:
    So I guess my question is, where should I be feeling sore IF I am doing deadlifts correctly. :huh: I ask because even though I have deadlifted before, I've never felt this sore in my back as a result of it. So I'm not sure if I was doing correctly before at a lighter weight and just didn't hit the targets it should have, or if perhaps last night was the first time I did it correctly.

Thank you.

It's really hard to say without seeing a video of your lift. Unfortunately a max-effort single can be challenging and bring out one's weaknesses that may not be apparent in sub-maximal effort lift, which may cause some breakdown with your form which may have in-turn stressed your back. Maybe post a video of another attempt? With lifts like that, don't be afraid of the "No Belt Police" because it's crap, no problem wearing a belt on those types of attempts.

Edit: What training method are you using?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah post a video,

it could be that you have great form but you're now reaching a point where your low back muscles are weaker than your legs which means you're going to be feeling it it in your low back.. or as a former coach i had once told

me: when i do deads i really feel it in my low back for some reason.
    him: oh really? cus when i do curls i really feel it in my biceps. shut up and lift. your form is fine
    me: :grumble:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    lower back doms from doing a pr deadlift, who would have thought.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There's a reason some people do deadlift on back day ????

Others do it on leg day.

I myself do them on leg day when they are in my routine, but I do feel them in my lower back by the end. If your form is off, you'll feel them even more.

I can't recall feeling anything in my shoulders, but if you are rolling them at the end when you stand fully up, you could be involving your deltas.