Disappointed with Piyo

2»

Replies

• Hi everyone! Adding my 2 cents. So I just we completed piyo, and at first I would agree with most of you about piyo not being challenging, not having a lot of cardio, being to slow. But now that I've completed the program, I'm going to say I disagree completely. The program starts off slow, to aid you with correct moves and alignment, also getting you use to the moves with repetition. By week 4 it's starts getting intense, if you've finished the whole 8 weeks then you should had a lot of challenge and a lot of soreness especially in your legs with all the squats, lunges, burpees and side curtesy. So if your on day 3 and is complaining about it, try it out to your 8th week and see if you hate it or love it. I supplement cardio with it the first 3 weeks, but after that I was good. Keep in mind, everyone is wanting or needing something specific to their workout. This may not be for you, but complete it before you knock it. I personally LOVE IT. Good luck to you all finding what works for you! God bless!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    I'm mid-week 7 and almost complete.

It may not be for everyone, but it was a change in routine for me and I am enjoying the under-45 minute workouts since I do them on my lunch break.

I had already done a round of ChaLean Extreme prior, so I do miss weights somewhat, but this is only an 8 week program and I don't feel like I've lost much strength.

Maybe a hybrid next, but I like to mix it up.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    I really feel like PiYo is going to be the program that breaks me out of the on-and-off workout cycle I have been stuck in for two years. I adore T25, but I've never made it past week four because even the modifications are too much for me as my first program back on the horse. I encourage folks to at least give the program a month before declaring it useless. Define upper & lower are certainly not the most challenging workouts, but they allow you to ease your way in and work on your form before diving in to the harder workouts. By week 4, I thought things like Sweat would be easier, but they're not - and it's because my form is better, I'm getting stronger, and I can push myself harder. Last night, I did my first ever actual modified pushups, which I could never do even when I was in the best shape of my life. My core, my legs, and my wrists are so much stronger and I know that is going to benefit me in future programs as well. Plus... I'm on week 4 & my butt is rounder than it has been in years. Can't complain about that!

I can see how PiYo might not be enough of a full workout on its own, but the great thing about most of the videos being so short is that you can so easily use them to supplement your other workouts & I really believe that most people can benefit from the strength and flexibility you can gain from PiYo.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    I just started back with PiYo and also added T25 for doubles. I was stuck at a plateau for the longest time, but I did find that PiYo (before I quit) finally helped me shred my waist where I wasn't able to get it to budge with anything else. I also have some definition now that I didn't have before. I only did PiYo for 4 weeks then stopped. Looking forward to more progress :)
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and am thinking of adding PiYo when I'm done (maybe a hybrid? I love the weights from CLX). Has anyone done both? I'm at 159 (5'10") and would like to hit 145 but am more concerned with toning/getting stronger than the number on the scale. I'm wondering if PiYo with CLX might be the ticket.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Piyo gets tougher when you actually utilize all the form tips. If you are just going through the motions and not contracting your core when she tells you, or not going low in the stances, (ETC) then you are missing the whole point of this program.

Anyone who thinks it's easy needs to come workout with me...I guarantee you will be grunting and groaning!!! :laugh:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and am thinking of adding PiYo when I'm done (maybe a hybrid? I love the weights from CLX). Has anyone done both? I'm at 159 (5'10") and would like to hit 145 but am more concerned with toning/getting stronger than the number on the scale. I'm wondering if PiYo with CLX might be the ticket.

There are multiple people who are doing both. You could probably search/find.
  • MonicaValk
    MonicaValk Posts: 4 Member
    I don't like yoga but love Piyo! I did upper and lower back to back. Sweat, buns, hardcore on the floor all have me dripping in sweat! I have not yet done Drench yet but I hear that one is great too I have done TF, CLX, and BBL before this. I plan to do CLX after Piyo but I will still add Piyo because I love it so much and I'm on week 4.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm still working through ChaLean, which I love. I only do the circuit videos. I run 3/4 times a week for cardio and added piyo for additional strength and flexibility. I love the combination and really like the piyo workouts. I'm not following the program, but just pick a workout to do. I usually alternate my selection between drench/sweat and the other workouts. I think I've done core the most. Currently I'm planning to stick with combining ChaLean/PIYO/running/walking as I really like the combination.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    I'll do you a favor. I will HAPPILY accept your PiYo DVD's so that they're not cluttering up your house. :)
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    PiYo is yoga. Things like Turbofire or Insanity (which is what I did previously) are high intensity cardio programs, meaning that both feet are off the ground a lot. They're just different types of work outs. Also, if you find it really easy and you're just breezing through, that's not the point of the program. That's kind of like doing some half-*kitten* squat when you do insanity- you have to make it hurt (hurt in a good way). Also, it's only been three days.
  • I have been working out for years with weights and cardio and I LOVE Piyo. It does start out slow but gets a lot harder. I seriously sweat buckets doing it and I've already noticed definition I never had before in my arms and back. I am only on week 3. I do also do Les Mills Pump classes at the gym. I would def give it more time. I am just going to keep with this program even after the 8 weeks, just not everyday. I love it that much.
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    I have been working out for years with weights and cardio and I LOVE Piyo. It does start out slow but gets a lot harder. I seriously sweat buckets doing it and I've already noticed definition I never had before in my arms and back. I am only on week 3. I do also do Les Mills Pump classes at the gym. I would def give it more time. I am just going to keep with this program even after the 8 weeks, just not everyday. I love it that much.

How often do you do the Les Mills Pump classes with the plyo? I am currently doing a rotation of LMP at home with the DVDs and may want to incorporate the PIYO and give it another chance.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 784 Member
    I had it for about 3 weeks now and have not done it yet. After reading the comments here, I think I just might give it a try (today) I think.
  • JanieJack wrote: »
    Hey y'all, I haven't done Piyo, but since everyone's comparing it to yoga, I'd like to share my experience with another low impact thing I did years ago: My friend bought Windsor Pilates when it first came out (yeah, I'm dating myself here) and I laughed at it. No way that could work. I was doing things like "The Firm" and "Buns of Steel." I borrowed it from her just so I could speak with authority about how lame it was because all it seemed to me was like a series of stretches.

Well, I was wrong! That series of stretches did such amazing things for my body after a month I went and bought my own set. Sometimes, especially if you've been doing high impact for awhile, the body just needs a break and responds wonderfully.

I also find that a good yoga session really works the body and I sweat as if I've been running. A side-benefit of pilates is that I've had sports massagers after a race compliment me on my flexibility. One told me that she could tell I did things like yoga and pilates and that those helped prevent the standard runners ailments.

That is so hilarious. I had the same experience a few years back. I did one of my Firm dvd's and wanted a bit more so I popped in my Windsor Pilates dvd that I purchased but never uses. I don't think I made it 15 minutes.