calorie help. PLEASE HELP

Options
PLEASE HELP Omg friends I need some help. Ok, mfp tells me to eat 1200 calories a day. I need yo lose 145 pounds. A fitness pal of mine told me I should do round 1750-2000 so that when I plateau I have room to take away calories. Did u set ur calorie goal at what mfp told u? I think it makes since to up it, but the 1200 is workin for me, but now I wonder for how long will it work. PLEASE HELP

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • JoT2013
    JoT2013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It depends on weight, height etc.

Check out http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you have 145 pounds to lose 1700-2000 sounds MUCH more reasonable to me than 1200. If you are that overweight (no offense) your BMR is going to be quite high so you don't need to eat so little to have effective and maintainable weight loss.

Keep in mind MFP is just a calculator, it takes the numbers you give it and calculates. It isn't a person, it isn't advising you. If it told you 1200 its because you told it you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week and you were sedentary and it assumed you did no exercise. Even then I am suprised it told you 1200 if you weight ~270.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose 145 pounds then its not unrealistic to aim for 2 pounds per week. But do you have your settings correct in terms of how active you are, your height/weight/etc.? I imagine you'd have a high BMR. Even if 1200 is right, its 1200 + exercise calories. If you have your settings as sedentary then perhaps make it a goal to start being more active. Does not have to be complicated. Park further from stores when you run errands. Walk in place while you watch TV. Walk in your neighborhood. Set a goal for each week and then gradually push yourself to do more.

Starvation mode/plateaus are myths. As you lose weight, you will need to readjust your goals. At 2 pounds per week, the target is a 1000 per day deficit. After you've lost 50-70 you might want to adjust to 750/day deficit. A smaller body uses less energy.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't argue with success. If it's working for you why stop? I kept going when all the nay sayers said that my metabolism would stop and i would loose muscle and here I am 60 lbs lighter with 40% more strength than when I started.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    1200 will probably keep working, but the questions is more along the lines of whether or not that will be sustainable for you. It doesn't matter if you can lose weight quickly if your energy, happiness, or determination bottoms out. I do think it depends on you. If you do awesome and then lose motivation (happiness, energy), it's probably not the plan for you. If you are someone who does well with quicker results and can up your calories when you feel it's not working for you without going overboard, it may be for you.

Remember, you don't have to pick one number, either. Know your numbers from 2 lbs a week to maintenance and shoot for that daily. The only commitment is to yourself. If you want to eat 1200 one day and 1800 the next, that works too.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ty sooo much everyone. your comments helped me a lot
  • Unitalynnwoodruff
    Options
    i DO 1200 CALORIE AND i'M DO WHAT MYFITNESSPAL TOLD ME AND ITS WORKING FOR ME