Jump rope on non-running days?

umfan85
umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been researching and debating this topic for a little while now. I am currently doing C25K, almost on week 4. My problem is, I would like to do some cardio on non-running days. My apartment complex has a small gym that includes a treadmill,stair master, small stationary bike, and an elliptical. It also has a basketball/racquetball court.

Problem is, the elliptical doesn't appear to work for me. I am a tall guy(6'6) and I feel like the stride is too short? I have looked for a way to adjust it but I can't figure it out. I was able to use the stationary bike but it is quite small and the seat is pretty uncomfortable. That leaves me with the stairmaster, treadmill, and utilizing the courts.

I bought a jump rope, but I can't decide if it is smart to do on non-running days. I feel that since they are both impact heavy, I may damage my knees and other joints. Any thoughts out there?

Any suggestions for other cardio exercises with my options?

Replies

• Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Jumping rope is awesome and great cardio. I don't like to much with my knees also but jumping rope doesn't bother them like running does.

I say add it!. After you jump rope for 3 minutes straight the last thing you will worry about is your knees.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I am a c25k "graduate"!! I loved it, and now I love running. I try to alternate my running days with a longer walk (say 45-60 minutes). Or if I can't get outside, I use the hated stationary bike. I also love to swim on my non running days, but not everyone has access to a pool. Regardless, I think your body will tell you what is appropriate. I can usually tell by the way my legs/knees/hips feel whether I can run or just do something with less impact. I can especially tell on the days after I have upped my run time (I'm up to 55 minutes on my long-run days!) that I need a gentler workout--there is not neccessarily pain, but some stiffness. Another good option, which also adds strength trainging is Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Hope these suggestions help.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Jump rope is excellent cardio. You can learn different jumps to make things interesting. You might also consider doing intervals, where you jump rope, switch to other machines, or even incorporate weights in between. It will help train your heart too and really up the calorie burn, if that's what you're seeking.

You might consider exercise DVDs too. It's good to pop one in everyone once in a while, just to switch things up. Do you have room in your apartment to do them?

Shannon
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    One of the Victoria Secret Models (I think her name is Adriana? She's the one with the beautiful eyes, she does the Maybelline make-up commercials also) said all she did was jump rope to lose the baby weight. I know, what a bit** right? LOL!

Listed to your body like what the above poster mentioned to see if the impact is too much. Jumping outside is probably much worse than jumping on the basketball court so try that if it’s available.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    jumping rope is fantastic for cardio, core, and fast twitch muscles. as a runner though, I would caution doing it to often because of the impact and potential for over use of supporting muscle. You have to make sure to give yourself some recovery-remember most benefit comes after the fact while your body is resting/healing. Jump maybe once or twice a week, mix in some strength training intervals with it and your running will improve.
This discussion has been closed.