Amusement Park Food

Options
Hey everyone. So I'm just getting back to dieting again and really want to succeed. However, it being summer and all my bf and I are going to six flags. We're going to be there the whole day and won't have a car to keep food in. I *know* that 95% of the food is going to be awfully high in calories and cholesterol. So I'm wondering what you all do for such events? I don't want to ruin my diet and motivation while trying to have some summer fun.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'll be walking a ton - so that will help offset some of the calories. I just looked at the website and for the park I selected under dining it listed lighter fare options. I'd suggest looking it up for the park you're going to - looks like some pretty decent options.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it and don't worry. It's one day. Log it and move on. That, or exercise before or after, or set aside a few calories throughout the week so that the one day doesn't make you feel as guilty.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's not too hard to sneak in some nut's or a protein bar. My friend has snuck in whole box's(and I mean more than one) of cheese it's before when we were in our teens, so sneaking in a healthy snack shouldn't be too difficult. Who want's to toss money in the garbage buying over priced food that's going to make you fat?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Amusement parks have started offering healthier options. I agree with searching ahead of time and not worry too much because you will walk a lot to offset some of the calories consumed.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it and don't worry. It's one day. Log it and move on. That, or exercise before or after, or set aside a few calories throughout the week so that the one day doesn't make you feel as guilty.

^^^This. Plus you will be doing a lot of walking. Amusement park's are offering more healthy choices. Bring your own snacks. (Not sure if it's allowed at Six Flags, it is at Disneyland)
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I might just try to sneak a snack. I'm keeping my meals to around 300 calories each. It might be hard to find a food that low in cals. I'm also concerned that if i allow myself to eat, say a burger, I'll just lose control and stuff my face.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I might just try to sneak a snack. I'm keeping my meals to around 300 calories each. It might be hard to find a food that low in cals. I'm also concerned that if i allow myself to eat, say a burger, I'll just lose control and stuff my face.

make sure you drink plenty of water, a LOT, if possible. but then you'd have to make more pee stops, too. :)

when I am at parks, we carry bottles of water every where and drink the all the time.
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I went to Six Flags Great Adventure a few weeks ago and I mostly abandoned my diet for a few days. A few days off of your "normal, losing weight diet" isn't going to kill you.

However, I tried to make healthier choices amongst all of the traditional theme park options. For example, I chose the grilled chicken sandwich instead of a burger or deep friend chicken fingers. I still gained weight after my visit, but most of it I attributed to all of the sodium content and the fact that my body held on to water. Trust me, the weight was lost after the following week of being home and eating my "clean" foods.

You still have to live a life. Go to six flags, have fun and splurge, and get back on the wagon when you get back. Most importantly, have fun with enjoying a bit of vacation with the people that you are going with! I went with my daughter and her cousins and had a blast! My 14 year old nephew made me ride King-Da-Ka and it changed me forever.... Holy crap, that ride scared the *kitten* out of me!

Have fun!
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I went to Six Flags Great Adventure a few weeks ago and I mostly abandoned my diet for a few days. A few days off of your "normal, losing weight diet" isn't going to kill you.

However, I tried to make healthier choices amongst all of the traditional theme park options. For example, I chose the grilled chicken sandwich instead of a burger or deep friend chicken fingers. I still gained weight after my visit, but most of it I attributed to all of the sodium content and the fact that my body held on to water. Trust me, the weight was lost after the following week of being home and eating my "clean" foods.

You still have to live a life. Go to six flags, have fun and splurge, and get back on the wagon when you get back. Most importantly, have fun with enjoying a bit of vacation with the people that you are going with! I went with my daughter and her cousins and had a blast! My 14 year old nephew made me ride King-Da-Ka and it changed me forever.... Holy crap, that ride scared the *kitten* out of me!

Have fun!

I'm planning on sneaking in a protein bar and a string cheese...but I'll probably end up getting something to eat too. Well, it'll be the first time I've ever gone on a rollercoaster and I know I'm going to be dragged onto a big coaster...I wonder if terror burns calories? ;)
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Have fun!

I agree. Enjoy your trip, and get back on the horse when you get home. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do they not allow guests to bring in any foods?

When we went to Disneyland a few years ago, I brought my backpack to stash sweatshirts, sunscreen, water and snacks, and we put it in all in a locker than we could come back to throughout the day. When we needed a pick-me-up, we'd swing by the locker, grab a bottle of water and some snacks (peanut butter pretzels, granola bars, nuts, whatever), and took it with us as we walked to our next ride and then waited in line.

We ate lunch in the park at one of the restaurants, and I enjoyed whatever I had (must not have been spectacular because I can't remember what it was! ha!), and had breakfast and dinner outside the park at other restaurants. I think the only other thing I bought in the park was a Venti iced coffee at the Starbucks in California Adventure! :laughing:

But as others have said - do the best you can, enjoy yourself, consider all the walking you'll be doing, and have fun!
  • missliv85
    missliv85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cotton candy? Its pretty low in calories isn't it? I remember being surprised by how low the calorie count was when I looked at the back of a bag at the movie theatre. Its mostly just fluffed up sugar right? haha. Just a thought though, worth checking out maybe.
  • Alicue21
    Alicue21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure which park you're going to, but I go all the time to Fiesta Texas and Six Flags over Texas thanks to my season pass. You will walk a lot. Six Flags does offer salads (typically with chicken strips). The salads aren't offered everywhere so you may have to ask or reference the map, I've also seen roasted corn at my parks. If you want something sweet, they do have frozen fruit bars like Fruitare. If all else fails, there is popcorn - just avoid the unlimited one to avoid going overboard.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was just there (the one in LA). I went for a few days. I ate The roast turkey one day and the sushi the next. I'm sure they have the BBQ turkey at any of the locations and I thought these options were both reasonable in price and healthfulness. The hardest part was resisting the absolute crap that smells good like funnel cake but as others said, if you want to indulge 1-2 days isn't going to be huge in the grand scheme of things. Also, everyone is right about the walking- I walked so much I lost weight even though my goal was to maintain. Maybe I should have had some cake :laugh:
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are season pass gold members at 6 flags, I'm dieting, and I'm a vegan.. So I hear you. There are basically two things I can eat.. Vegetarian tacos without cheese at the Mexican stand and a $15 black bean burger in one of the restaurants lol. The burger is way, way better

However, if I wasn't vegan, they also have a sushi option, salads at the Internet cafe, and grilled chicken options at another Mexican stand..

My bf has the all you can eat pass and the options there are HORRIBLE! They don't even have a single vegetarian thing on there never mind vegan. It's all pizza and fried food
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's 1 day. You shouldn't stop yourself from enjoying you life simply because you want to lose weight.

If 1 or 2 days is going to derail you then you don't want this bad enough.

True but going over on amusement park food is sad, IMO... Really not worth the calories!

Six Flags here has salads and fat free dressing. Maybe 350 calories tops. Or grilled chicken wraps... maybe 500 calories? The water park had tacos too, pretty filling for maybe 600 calories. There are options, check their website, it should show the healthy options on the map.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It's one day, enjoy yourself!
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I say bring your own stuff if you can! Why bother stressing about it later in the week if you can just eat your own snacks instead of fried greasy stuff? IMO, walking around doesn't burn enough calories to justify those extremely caloric foods. The attitude of "it's just one day" doesn't really work in general--most people have all sorts of occasions in life, and you have to be tough about it!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Which Six Flags is it? I'm going to Great America on Saturday!
    At least at that one, I know from previous years, there's more and more options. For me, my friends are all in fantastic shape and I follow their lead. One day isn't a deal breaker, just don't go overboard. Which, since the prices are so freaking high, I don't tend to do. Plus, I dunno about for anyone else but for me, the whole adrenaline thing makes me not very hungry.

Regardless, it's ok to have a day here and there where you go over. Log it, learn from it, and have a good day.