Unrealistic Goals

Options
Hi everyone,

I am 48 years and have not weighed 125 since I was about 20 years old. I currently weigh 177; is it unrealistic for me to set a goal weight to 125 pounds? I would love to get to that weight but am afraid I will set myself up to fail.....

Thoughts please.

Thank you.:noway:

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think that bodies stop growing around the age of 23,give or take a bit. So maybe it is unrealistic, maybe it isn't. I'd suggest you aim for 135 then re-evaluate about how much more you'd like to lose.
  • lizmedrano
    lizmedrano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lumberjack for the reply. It is really appreciated.
  • deana727
    deana727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say unrealistic, considering the drastic changes people make every day once they find their path. But do what you must to make it realistic - what is your time frame? Have you found a program that works for you?

I'd say we have a very similar long term goal. I know that 140 from 165 is attainable, but 1) I don't expect to do it in 30 days; and 2) now that I'm on my way, I can see how over a year or so I couldn't help to reach 125. I am calculating at a 1-2 pound a week weight loss, which for me is healthy and gradual. I'm in it for the long term :)
  • lizmedrano
    Options
    Hi Deana,

Thank you for the advice. I too aim to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week and would like to be at 125 by july 2015.....It is a dream I would like to make a reality. :wink:
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Not that I've accomplished that, but I don't think that your goals are unrealistic. You are basically trying to lose 52 lbs in one year, which makes around 4.3 lbs per month. Very doable :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes. at 20 you more than likely werent completely past puberty.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Understand too that you can have an amazing body at 135 or even 140 if you put the effort into lifting and start now. You might even look better than you did at 125.

I don't think it's about unrealistic goals but having a different perspective.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Goals change. Is it a failure to you if you get to 130? Probably not. I have more to lose than my ticker says, I just keep adjusting the goals as I go along for a boost to my ego.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure why age and growth frame is a question here on weight goal? it ALL depends on your height and bone structure as to what you should weigh, I am 5' 2" and 56 years old, I should, by the charts and my Doctor, weigh 125 lbs. There are ranges for each height I suggest you google it and see what the weight goal for your height should be.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure why age and growth frame is a question here on weight goal? it ALL depends on your height and bone structure as to what you should weigh, I am 5' 2" and 56 years old, I should, by the charts and my Doctor, weigh 125 lbs. There are ranges for each height I suggest you google it and see what the weight goal for your height should be.

because by definition puberty means that your body is growing and that certain hormones that you use as an adult kick in to their fullest.

trying to go back to a weight before your body had completely stopped coming into puberty (especially if you were at an ideal weight at that time, i'm not talking about the kids who were overweight when puberty started) is an exercise in futility and a good way to make sure something like osteoporosis catches up to you
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz,

Our starting weight and goal weights....both the one on your ticker and the lower one you're contemplating...are almost exactly the same. When I started in March I was at 188....I joined MFP a month later and 5 lbs lighter.....since then I've lost another 14 lbs.....

When I joined MFP I thought my ultimate goal was to make it to 140-145....but now that I see that this works and I've become such a believer and now that I've read so many inspirational profiles, I can't help but believe that I can reach a goal much lower than than the 140's. My new plan is to get to the 140s....then revise my goal to 130.....and I'll know better then what the ultimate goal weight should be. Like you I haven't weighed that little in many many years so I don't even know how I'll feel or look at that weight. Maybe my face will look too old if I get too thin.? So I don't think you need to know your ultimate goal now.....just know that you are firmly and decidedly on the path.

What I do know is that even once I get there...the more important step will be to stay on plan and learn the life skill of maintenance.

I expect it will take me a year to get there....and then perhaps a year or so of maintenance logging. I never want to be overweight again, so whatever it takes.
  • lizmedrano
    Options
    Hi Cheripugh1,

The only reason I brought up my age is that I have hear metabolism slows down as we age and that I have not weighed 125 for more than 23 years ago. Not that it is a direct correlation with weight loss. I too am 5' 2". Thank you for your reply-I appreciate your input.
  • lizmedrano
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome responses. I really appreciate it. I know I can do this- one day a time!!! Again thank you!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Im 45 and have been longing to be around 147lbs for years (currently 165lbs). Finally accepted its not going to happen unless I really restrict my food intake and I work really hard and probably make myself miserable. Instead I have just focussed on fitness, strength and body shape instead. My weight hasnt changed in 18 months but I'm down almost 2 dress sizes in some shops. Trousers still an issue but getting there :-)

Weight is just a number - I have a friend who is 5ft tall, weighs just over 9 stone but has really little body fat and is incredibly strong and well toned!
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! LOL! But I'd focus more on how your body LOOKS, than an actual weight. Why is it important for you to weigh this much? Is that a healthy weight for your body? :smile:
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and was 332 lbs at my heaviest. I've dropped 106 lbs and now weigh less than when I was 20. But for you, I guess it depends on your height, muscle mass etc. Add me if you're looking for more friends!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

because by definition puberty means that your body is growing and that certain hormones that you use as an adult kick in to their fullest.

trying to go back to a weight before your body had completely stopped coming into puberty (especially if you were at an ideal weight at that time, i'm not talking about the kids who were overweight when puberty started) is an exercise in futility and a good way to make sure something like osteoporosis catches up to you

^ I think that's a really good point. I have encountered people "irl" who think I shouldn't try to get back to my 6th grade weight which is my current goal. Never mind the fact that I was huge for my age and quite overweight, already. Very different from being an average, thin, barely-pubescent 12 year old and wanting to return to that size as an adult.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your height and how much lean body mass you have and the goal look you want to achieve. May be 135, may be 120, we don't have enough info to go on with what said.

Say later your height. No reason you could not weigh 125 or even as low as 110 if you want. My mother is 60 and is 5'1" 110, but does not have a lot of lean mass.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One issue I see with purely scale based goals is that one can reach the low number on a scale and still have more fat than wanted. Setting a goal that includes body fat or fitness capabilities targets rather than just a weight allows for a more holistic fitness endstate.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am 48 years and have not weighed 125 since I was about 20 years old. I currently weigh 177; is it unrealistic for me to set a goal weight to 125 pounds? I would love to get to that weight but am afraid I will set myself up to fail.....

Thoughts please.

Thank you.:noway:

At 48 I would just change to a healthier lifestyle instead of worrying about a scale. I believe once you focus on that your body will respond appropriately. Good Luck!:flowerforyou: