New guy

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just started cutting back and doing cardio again this week. A friend informed me about MFP on Wednesday and I've been happily tracking everything.

There's a lot of talk about "starvation mode" and whether its really bad or will just help you loose faster. I've got about a 1500 calorie deficit after my cardio. I burn about 1000 calories according to the machine everyday.

I don't feel like I'm starving or anything like that. Not sure if I'm eating enough or not. I just want to loose weight somewhat fast and then develop a food/workout maintenance plan once I reach my target weight to keep it off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• alex51026
    Options
    I've actually been wondering the same thing. I'm interested in seeing the responses to this post. I definitely want to be as efficient with my weight loss as well!

good luck,

-alex
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As long as you're consuming your alotted calories, if you're burning alot you'll just lose faster. It's all good.
  • Dephcon
    Options
    I'm about 500 shy of my allotted calories per day.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm about 500 shy of my allotted calories per day.

I wonder the same thing...I never get all of my calories either...but I can't make myself eat if I'm not hungry!!
    Good luck on this!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck reaching your goal. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the cals. that the machines say that you burn are way off. They don't take account for people's weight. Logging your time and speed on this site is more accurate but even that is an estimate. A Heart Rate Monitor (that accounts for your weight) is the most accurate.
  • CreativeRedhead
    Options
    Welcome New Guy!! :smile: If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the calories. Figure out what works for you. This may take some time, it took me a few weeks to adjust my meals and portions to what I found that worked.

Best of luck on your journey here! :wink:
  • Dephcon
    Options
    The elliptical machine I use monitors my heart rate, resistance, speed and I manually enter my weight. I assume its somewhat accurate.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    I'm new to all this stuff too, but from what I've read, if you notice a lack of strength then you may need to take in more calories. For example, say you typically do 60 minutes of cardio. If in weeks to come those 60 minutes get harder, or you're not able to increase the intensity, then your body isn't getting enough food to give itself energy or to allow muscle to grow.
  • Dephcon
    Options
    Actually I feel like I'm getting stronger. I started doing 40~minutes at 14 resistance, then lowering it to 12, then 10, then cool down. Last night I made it to 50 minutes at 14 and finshed it at 12. I'm hoping to make it the whole 60 mins at 14 soon.