Weight lifting question!

Options
Nikoruo
Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
I'm just starting with some basic weight lifting training and after one day's full workout I find my muscles completely stiff and sore. This workout was Monday. I had planned to do another one today but what i'm wondering is if i should? When weight lifting, do you keep doing workouts even if you are sore? Or do you wait until your muscles have repaired themselves more and it doesn't hurt as much? Since i'm new to this I'm not sure if you're supposed to keep going though your legs barely hold up or if that just means you rest until it's better.... let me know! :)

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You are suffering from DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and it is quite normal and it will get better. Most people lift through it and it gets less intense as you lift more often. I take BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids) to help with soreness and recovery.

Welcome to the first weeks of lifting.

This should be soreness and stiffness not an intense pain, that is something else and you should see a doctor.
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Hello shor and thank you for your reply! That makes sense and BCAA's really help? Should I look into them?

Haha yes i figured soreness would be a definite thing. No pain no gain right?

So I should push through as much as i can? It is a soreness and stiffness, no intense pain. The movements are just hard. As a tmi, it's even hard to stand up and sit down. haha.
  • shor0814
    Options
    Completely normal and work through them, you will loosen up during your lifts.

I have two reasons for the BCAA's, first they help me with recovery, second I can only drink so much plain water so I might as well flavor it with something besides Mio.
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Alright, i'll go ahead and do my best tonight then :) thank you!

Sounds about right. I too can only stand so much water but i've turned to all the flavors of mio. I pretend like they are juice haha. :) as intended of course.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, work through the soreness.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes. this is probably one of the main people who do compound lifts alternate their workouts between A/B workouts. that basically means the stuff they work on A days work their bodies a bit differently than the stuff done on B days
  • shor0814
    Options
    So how did it go?