are low wights high reps useful too?

hi everyone, so my question is this. my goal is to just achieve a flatter tight stomach. i know there is no spot reduction and that i must do a small deficit to lose remaining fat. im at my goal weight and i wouldn't mind losing another 3 if it means ill lose the rest of my gut. so a good friend of mine on here (uscmp, i hope i spelled that right) is very knowledgeable and had a great link on those who want a nice stomach.however, i dont really go heavy on the weights, but i do not do pink barbie weights either lol (though they are cute and girly) :) anyways i know its good to have resistance training and so i was wondering if i could still achieve my goal of a tight toned stomach doing not so heavy weights with a few more added reps? ex: squats 40 sometimes 50, ohp 20-30, and deadlift 50. also 35 press. (i know its now heavy for most, but it still makes me sweat) and i do 5-10 reps.

my stats:
27 female
115 pounds
5'0

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    light weight with lots of reps won't help you built muscle, which is what you want. if you go fast with low weight high reps it can work as cardio, though. add weight - if you have to, start out lifting a gallon of milk or water with each arm and go up when it gets easier.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Short answer: Yes.
    Longer answer: Lower weights, higher reps builds lean muscle rather than bulk. Most sources I've looked at and trainers I've talked to say no more than 10-15 reps per set, though (and 8-10 on heavy weights). You can do 4-5 cycles, but give the muscles that stretch break between sets. This can help prevent excess fatigue and muscle damage. Oh and always listen to your body!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Longer answer: Lower weights, higher reps builds lean muscle rather than bulk. Most sources I've looked at and trainers I've talked to say no more than 10-15 reps per set, though (and 8-10 on heavy weights). You can do 4-5 cycles, but give the muscles that stretch break between sets. This can help prevent excess fatigue and muscle damage. Oh and always listen to your body!

This is not good advice(no offence to the poster). It takes years for women to bulk and doing low reps of heavier weights will help you achieve the skinny/strong look if that's what you're hoping for. Anything else is cardio( this coming from somebody who thought doing Jillian Michaels wAs strength training).

Proof is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Just to add as well, for a great cardio workout, you could also use kettlebells (which can come in cute Barbie colours as well). :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    no unless you're specifically wanting to waste some time OR specifically if you're rehabbing some muscle/joint issue

it's like asking if you'll get better at math by doing a zillion addition and subtraction problems when you've already mastered addition and subtraction

and what is lean muscle? muscle is muscle it's made out of the same stuff as "bulky muscle". :laugh:

if you're looking to get stronger then start with weights that's a bit of challenge for you to perform 5-8 reps per set and progressively add more weight.
    if you're looking for more circuit training style resistance training/complexes (ie stuff like cosgrove or tuminello complex) then choose a weight that's going to be a challenge for you to finish one round
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Longer answer: Lower weights, higher reps builds lean muscle rather than bulk. Most sources I've looked at and trainers I've talked to say no more than 10-15 reps per set, though (and 8-10 on heavy weights). You can do 4-5 cycles, but give the muscles that stretch break between sets. This can help prevent excess fatigue and muscle damage . Oh and always listen to your body!

well if you're strengthening the muscle then some degree of muscle damage is what you need to do in order for it to repair stronger.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Low weight/high reps can be useful if you are working on muscle endurance. It is not useful for your goals. Sorry.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    reps at 2-6 is more heavy rep rountine than 8-10 IMO.
  • *Edit nm, I read 50 reps not 50 as a weight, which is what I think you mean now? Sets of 5-10 is not bad, sets of 50 or more is not good for much except repetitive stress.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    To add muscle, you need to get stronger. It's possible to do that with 10 rep sets if that's what you mean by high reps. But it will require a great deal of exertion no matter what rep range you work with. Focus on progression. You need to add weight over time. If you're not going to do that, you should find a more productive hobby. You're wasting time on this one.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    No.. You should be adding weight and doing less reps
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Why not do both?

My strength coach has me doing both high rep, and high weight sets mixed together.

It's rather brutal, but nice.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    *Edit nm, I read 50 reps not 50 as a weight, which is what I think you mean now? Sets of 5-10 is not bad, sets of 50 or more is not good for much except repetitive stress.

yes i meant to say 50 pounds. not reps lol so 50 pounds of weight in squats, deadlifts and ohp 30 pounds :) i do 5-10 reps
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    i think it is useful and has different purposes. my goal is the same as yours and i was doing heavier weights and got some nice results and i am now doing lower weight/ more reps and i feel my body composition hasn't changed. i enjoy both and i think food is the biggest culprit when wanting the flatter belly plus genetics... what are your cals like? what is your food intake like? are you following macros, etc... there is a lot involved in it and everyone is different and will respond different to everything. so you need ot figure out what you have been doing and for how long and re evaluate since you are not getting the result you want. switch it up, give it some time and then re evaluate again...
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    No.. You should be adding weight and doing less reps

This is what i'm doing/hoping to do.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    You probably have a "tight toned stomach" now, it's just got more fat over the muscles than you want. Abs are made in the kitchen. Sure, you can increase your core strength but your abs aren't going to change in appearance much (beyond what's accomplished by changing your body fat percent).
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    You probably have a "tight toned stomach" now, it's just got more fat over the muscles than you want. Abs are made in the kitchen. Sure, you can increase your core strength but your abs aren't going to change in appearance much (beyond what's accomplished by changing your body fat percent).

it does feel tight underneath lol so what do you think i should do?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

it does feel tight underneath lol so what do you think i should do?

keep losing body fat through eating
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    *Edit nm, I read 50 reps not 50 as a weight, which is what I think you mean now? Sets of 5-10 is not bad, sets of 50 or more is not good for much except repetitive stress.

yes i meant to say 50 pounds. not reps lol so 50 pounds of weight in squats, deadlifts and ohp 30 pounds :) i do 5-10 reps

Are you maxing out on with those weights? Or could you go on for much longer if you had to? If it's the latter, up your weights.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'd say maybe go after those 3 lbs. you mentioned but I've never had visible abs so... :smile: I've just read repeatedly it's a body fat issue, not a muscle tone/strength/size one.