Have a Hard Time Eating Under 2000 Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• italia8246
    Options
    supertact.. that is not helpful or tactful..
  • JennJNB
    JennJNB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you love food, then make it a bigger part of your life. Explore different kinds of produce, grains, proteins and spices. Prepare your own food and try out new recipes. Have fun in the kitchen.

Oftentimes when we diet, we make an enemy of food. Restrict it. Curse it. Secretly lust for it. Hate that we can't resist it. Until you get a handle on your relationship with food, it will always be an issue. That feeling of binging, knowing you've packed away too much food..... it's not good. That's not loving food, that's abusing food.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    If you love food, then make it a bigger part of your life. Explore different kinds of produce, grains, proteins and spices. Prepare your own food and try out new recipes. Have fun in the kitchen.

Oftentimes when we diet, we make an enemy of food. Restrict it. Curse it. Secretly lust for it. Hate that we can't resist it. Until you get a handle on your relationship with food, it will always be an issue. That feeling of binging, knowing you've packed away too much food..... it's not good. That's not loving food, that's abusing food.

Very true.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the whole 'jump start your metabolism' thing about meal timing is baloney but I think that many people do better with a calorie budget if they have a reasonable plan in advance for how to spend it, and for some people having some meal structure helps with that.

I think a natural inclination when you're trying to restrict calories is to skip breakfast and maybe even lunch. A lot of people do fine with it but a lot get so famished they blow their calorie goal out of the water from 6-10pm, then get up the next day (still not hungry) and do it again.

So I think it can be a mental or behavioral aid to try to stick to some structured meals. Biological-- not so much.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    if 2000 calories is logged accurately, with some exercise everday, I think you might be still seeing result, just very slowly...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Meal timing: Irrelevant - plan your meals and snacks around what works for you

Avoiding trigger foods: You most important tool in losing weight is making your self control as strong as possible. You have to learn/practice it every day. Until you learn moderation and self control - you are going to keep having the same issues.

Make specific goals about getting healthy: Read this link, learn all you can and then put a plan in place. You can do this. Unfortunately, YOU have to do it. The information is all here, the support is on this site, but getting there is all on you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This.

Double this.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you build your meals around protein and fiber you will stay fuller longer

snack ONLY on low calorie items, such as carrots and celery sticks until you get a handle on this

remove all junk food from your home-stop buying it since you can't trust yourself to not eat it right now

once you manage the above, you can start "treating" yourself once a week for your progress. (but only if you are within your calorie goals)

eventually, this teaches self control and moderation, you will start seeing results and it will become second nature.

good luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Meal timing: Irrelevant - plan your meals and snacks around what works for you

Avoiding trigger foods: Your most important tool in losing weight is making your self control as strong as possible. You have to learn/practice it every day. Until you learn moderation and self control - you are going to keep having the same issues.

Make specific goals about getting healthy: Read this link, learn all you can and then put a plan in place. You can do this. Unfortunately, YOU have to do it. The information is all here, the support is on this site, but getting there is all on you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Listen to this lady, she knows her stuff.

I love dessert and I have some every night. But I also make sure I'm getting enough protein and fat, and I try to get in a few servings of fruit/veg. I think of it as working things in instead of cutting things out. Protein first, then fat (honestly that's never a problem), then veggies, and then dessert with what's left.

Are you hungry when you're snacking or bored?
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    if 2000 calories is logged accurately, with some exercise everday, I think you might be still seeing result, just very slowly...

This is what I was going to say. Why not shoot for 2000-2100 and do some kind of exercise every day? Lift some weights? You've only got 15 to lose, why spend the time dieting when you could eat a decent amount of food and get stronger?

Just some ideas. :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am an evening snacker... I recognize this, and in order to accommodate that, I tailor my day to accommodate that. For me, I've found that a smaller breakfast and lunch allow me a bigger dinner and more room for snacks.

I've also cut out most drinks, allowing myself my one coffee and no juice /pop.

I've adjusted my snack foods so that if I DO want to snack, I have better, lower cal options. (I. E snap peas and carrots, over granola bars)

Start looking at where you can skim cals off your snacks, rather than trying to eliminate them all together.

This has helped me a lot. I switched to water not because I think I need it or like it (although now I prefer it) but because it saved me calories I could use elsewhere.
    I make little sacrifices during the day that allow me to have something I really want.
    I also do better on several smaller meals because it keeps me from getting to hungry. The key is to figure out what works for you.

I also found a lot of my snacking was really just habit. Like watching a movie = snacks. Certain favourite shows = snacks. A lot of the time I wasn't even hungry. I tried to just break the habit. But for the times I really felt I needed something I would have a lighter snack. Now I am at the point where I can save calories for a snack I want but it isn't something I need all the time, they are usually planned ahead.