does losing the last 25 make a difference ?

I've lost about 35 pounds so far, from 270 to 235 and my goal is about 210, it just seems as if I have like 100 pounds of fat still on me, according to my height (6'4) I should be around 210 pounds and I was wondering once nearing the second half of your diet, if 25 pounds really does make that much of a difference physically wise?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Personally I've found the 30 or so I've lost has made a huge difference to my mood, health and fitness. Started at 200lbs.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    For me it would. That's two sizes down. But I'm a shortie at only 5'1, and also petite. So you notice small differences. I actually notice when I've gained 2-3 pounds of water weight, because I look kind of pregnant. Lol

I think you should keep going until you are satisfied with what you see in the mirror. Not neccessarily the scale.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Even one pound can make a difference. I have a waist at 118-- but not at 119. When I lose or when I gain, that one particular pound is right at my waist! I am too fat at 119, and too thin at 110. Within a ten-pound range, I go from too thin, to ideal weight, to too fat. If I lost 25 lbs., I'd be nearly invisible. If I gained 25 lbs., I could block out the sun.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    The smaller you are, the faster you will see the body changes but the longer it generally takes to achieve. As you get leaner, you want a smaller deficit to help maintain your lean body mass.

My first 20 lbs, i lost 2" around my waist.. my last 8 lbs, I lost about 1.5" off my waist.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    My answer is yes ive gone from 182 to 150 and the last 10lbs ive seen the most difference even people starting to notice
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    For me it would. That's two sizes down. But I'm a shortie at only 5'1, and also petite. So you notice small differences. I actually notice when I've gained 2-3 pounds of water weight, because I look kind of pregnant. Lol

I think you should keep going until you are satisfied with what you see in the mirror. Not neccessarily the scale.

I haven't had a lot of weight to lose, but wanted to reply to the last statement... I am at goal, but I am still often not satisfied with what I see in the mirror.

In fact, some of my biggest challenges have been working to lose the mental fat.

If you've been overweight a long time, you may need to also learn to trust loved ones and friends to be your mirror...

Because it may take a while for your mind to see what your body is.

(case in point... Those "can you see yourself" threads.
  • Goodgollylolli
    Goodgollylolli Posts: 8 Member
    I think that the smaller size you get. The bigger the difference. I say yes it all makes a difference. It all counts
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I think this is more of a personal choice because the results may be different depending on the situation. I lost over 300 lbs. have a ultimate goal of getting to 235 lbs. but after I came out of my body lift surgery in Sept. of 2012, I stayed in maintenance and never went back to weight loss. I have since been playing around with bulking and cutting the last several months and I am quite content at my current weight. Is it my ultimate goal weight? No but sometime down the road here I will make a push to get there but as of right now it's not a big deal. But let me just add that 25 lbs. on someone who only had 50-60 pounds to lose is alot different.... Best of Luck
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    If you've been overweight a long time, you may need to also learn to trust loved ones and friends to be your mirror...

Very good point - although friends and loved ones may not be a good source either - they may not want to offend you, or they may have an unhealthy view of what a healthy weight is...

I have a very large range in my "healthy weight goal" - it says I should weight between 114 and 154. That's 40 lbs difference! OMG!

Initially I was shooting for 150 range - but that's nearly 25-30 lbs higher than I was when I first got pregnant 18 years ago...my husband loved the weight I was at that time, but I do recall other friends, usually slightly overweight, calling me "Skinny Minnie" and I used to get mad. (On the flip side, at the same time, my dad was always calling me Porky or Pork. Can't win.)

So armed with the idea that at 124-1255, I got negative comments from (jealous?) people for being too skinny, and not really liking the 154 top of my range, I'm opting to settle somewhere between 130 and 140. I currently have my goal at 140, but I may actually go to 135, if I don't have too much flab/loose skin, that is...that's my biggest fear at losing 100lbs....

I was happy with my weight before - but I don't think I'd look good at 124 now. I think I will be content to be anywhere between 135 and 140.

All that rambling to say - if you're not happy with being at your current goal weight...drop 5 or 10 lbs unless you're already at the bottom of the suggested healthy range. If you are at the bottom of the suggested healthy range then you need to learn to turn off that Negative Nellie in your head.... :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member

I haven't had a lot of weight to lose, but wanted to reply to the last statement... I am at goal, but I am still often not satisfied with what I see in the mirror.

In fact, some of my biggest challenges have been working to lose the mental fat.

(case in point... Those "can you see yourself" threads.

I agree.

I'm only just beginning to see the changes that I've had with over 3 years of doing this (granted though, on and off). This past month I've been finding that I get surprised when there's no change in scale/inches, yet I feel like I "look thinner"... and that's because my mental image of me is only just starting to sync up with my actual image.

Though that being said: OP, if you haven't started working out yet, that may help as well. If you are though, just keep at it and give it time for your perception to take shape around what is :)
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    I'm down 106 lbs and am working on my last 25! Add me and we can do this together!