What can I eat instead of "rice"?

Options
In my country, rice is like main dish for side dishes/ curries. I want to cut eating rice for 2weeks.
So, what foods are there instead of "rice" for side dishes/ curries or anything that will be most like rice
(I know brown rice is one of the answers but it is really hard to find brown rice here) So, please suggest other stuff to replace rice

Replies

• sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Medium baked red potato, yams, quinoa, anything whole grain.
  • mollyw88
    mollyw88 Posts: 5
    Options
    Can you get hold of quinoa? It's similar to couscous in texture, quite bland so its good to add a bit of spice/flavouring to it and it also has the benefit of being a protein instead of a carb.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your country, it's hard to make suggestions.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    i was gonna say quinoa also.... if you can't find it locally you can order it online
  • RhapsodyInC
    RhapsodyInC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can put raw cauliflower in a food processor and then use it like rice. For example: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/veggie-korma-mock-cauliflower-pilau
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Cabbage or spinach :smile:
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can put raw cauliflower in a food processor and then use it like rice. For example: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/veggie-korma-mock-cauliflower-pilau
    Please don't abuse cauliflowers like this. They have feelings too you know.

OP why are you cutting rice? As long as you eat in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. There is nothing wrong with rice as part of a balanced diet.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've given this some thinking time and realized that when I want to make something without rice, I substitute either bean sprouts or bamboo shoots - or both if I'm feeling dangerous. :wink:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I suggest you could substitute couscous for rice, although I am not clear as to why you want to quit rice for two weeks - ?
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    less rice
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I eat rice with curry pretty much every day, usually the dry vegetable type of curry, or dal, or various fish or chicken curries with not too much sauce. I'm losing weight. Why would you like to stop eating rice?
  • shall724
    shall724 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How about egg noodles, or any other pasta.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    More rice.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Eat less rice, then. Halve what you eat. Or is rice poison and Satan incarnate? If so, I'll have it. :D
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Oh my, that looks delicious! I've yet to meet a Jamie Oliver recipe I don't like though, gonna give this a go next week!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Can you get hold of quinoa? It's similar to couscous in texture, quite bland so its good to add a bit of spice/flavouring to it and it also has the benefit of being a protein instead of a carb.

At what point does something become a 'protein' rather than a 'carb'?

I've lifted this straight off Wikipedia.

Quinoa
    Nutritional value per 100 g
    Carbohydrates 64 g
    Dietary fibre 7 g
    Fat 6 g
    Protein 14 g

Rice
    Nutritional value per 100 g
    Carbohydrates 80 g
    Dietary fibre 1.3 g
    Fat 0.66 g
    Protein 7.1 g

So based on that data, the carb to protein ratio looks favourable for Quinoa - assuming your aim is to increase protein and lower carbohydrates - but it's still over 60% carb.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I don't eat rice daily anymore as an asian .I do eat sweet potatoes + corn quite frequently though.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    wild rice
    wheatberries (tastes a lot like rice)
    millet
    adzuki beans
    petite french lentils
    bulgur (with melted cheese on top = yum)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you want to cut out rice. If it's because of the carbs in rice then you can just put less seasoning in the curries and eat them with a spoon. Eating curries over a scrambled egg or with a boiled egg tastes pretty good and the eggs help cut the spiciness.

If it's something unrelated to carbs then try potatoes, lentils or beans.