light and heavy cleaning??

Options
what do you consider light cleaning and heavy cleaning. I mean I can work up a sweat cleaning 2 bathrooms. So if you guys have some examples of both please fill me in. Thanks

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I class every day cleaning, vaccuming, cleaning the bathroom, picking up after my daughter etc as light. Anything that involves moving furniture around and cleaning behind it I list as heavy.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I look at it as scrubbing the floor or bathtub as heavy cleaning.
    I see dishes, sweeping, washing counters and table as light cleaning...
    If you are moving vigorously or using a lot of strength, heavy
    If you are not really raising your heart rate much, light
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    If I'm sweating or if my heart rate is up for an extended time, then I consider it heavy (cleaning bathrooms, vaccumming, shampooing carpets/scrubbing). If not, then I consider it light (dusting, doing dishes, picking up stuff the bf leaves on the floor, etc.).
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Light Cleaning would be simple tasks that only take minor movements.- Dusting, wiping counters, folding laundry, filling the dishwasher, cooking, clearing the table etc.. You're on your feet which is a step up of sitting on the couch.

Heavy cleaning would be more involved tasks that use multiple muscle groups. - Changing the bed, scrubbing out the shower, sweeping, vacuuming (moving furniture), Collecting garbage.

General housekeeping is a combination of both.

CArdiovascularly, if memory serves correctly..Light cleaning is about 3.5 calories/minute...heavy 5.2..

Main thing is, you burn more calories moving around than sitting idle.
  • MardellD
    Options
    I have often wondered the same thing. I don't consider the basics like washing dishes, sweeping floors as either... heavy cleaning to me is total house clean, moving furniture to vacuum etc. If I break it up then cleaning bathrooms and washing floors would be light. I guess for me it's how long I go at it and how much I do. If I make 20 trips up the stairs carrying things then that would be a bit heavier. (This is my normal day since I am completely OCD when it comes to cleaning :S)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    General household cleaning and most other things I count as light. Anything that involves lifting heavy things around such as moving furniture or if I'm working at a realllly fast pace then I would count it as heavy.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I count most cleaning as light, since I feel awkward counting it at all. I can really work up a sweat picking up toys and whatnot from the kids, since they're little bundles of dectruction and mayhem and leave a path similar to tornadoes in their wake...I don't sweat and increase my heart rate near as much when I'm scrubbing the tub or floors.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM and you're classifying cleaning as a workout (which I don't do) be very careful. MFPs numbers for cleaning are particularly over-inflated...you're best not even logging it as a workout.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Just to make sure I'm not overestimating my burn, I always log all cleaning as light and always log half the time I actually cleaned.
  • shannon717717
    Options
    Just to make sure I'm not overestimating my burn, I always log all cleaning as light and always log half the time I actually cleaned.

I agree,I always log all of my cleaning in but as light with 1/2 time.I count it because I do sweat when I clean,so I know it's burning calories. Good topic!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't count cleaning at all. I don't regard it as exercise.

Perhaps if I dug up the whole garden I would count it or moved heavy furniture, but not washing dishes etc.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont even count my house work