Whey Protein

bbygrl5
bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it common when getting used to whey protein for it to upset your stomach and make you feel nauseous? I haven't heard anyone talk about it and I've been feeling ill.

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Not normally but people have been known to be allergic to it or you might be lactose intolerant?
  • bbygrl5
    I hadn't thought of that. I hope not! lol I love milk! ..but it's something worth considering.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    How long are you taking it before exercising? I know if I take it too soon before getting to the gym it will bother my stomach.
  • bbygrl5
    lol, that could be a reason why. It was only 5-10 min before I ran. I'm not well informed about protein. Should I be allowing time before working out?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    lol, that could be a reason why. It was only 5-10 min before I ran. I'm not well informed about protein. Should I be allowing time before working out?
    i try to take it an hour before I workout. 30 minutes sometimes if I am in a rush.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    I actually use my Whey Protein as a recovery drink AFTER exercise. I make it before I start (doing P90X at the moment) and take a couple of sips before. Then during water breaks I run to the fridge and take a couple of sips (typically during plyometrics and kenpo) then drink it after. The drinks are designed to flood your open and torn and ready muscles with nutrients. Not sure why/who told you to do the whey before?
  • bbygrl5
    lol.. hmm.. that's probably it then, lol. i will try to allow more time and see if that helps. :) thanks for the input! :)
  • bbygrl5
    I've heard it's good both pre and post. ..and when I've done protein shakes before, the protein seems to help strengthen workout, maybe a placebo effect, lol.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    +1 as a recovery drink NOT before.

It’s best to not eat before you workout otherwise you aren’t targeting your fat stores but rather burning off what you just ate. If you need to eat something try something small like an apple or some almonds just to ensure your stomach doesn't feel empty.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Ideally, you should have a mix of carbs and protein 1-2 hours before exercise so that you aren't glycogen depleted when you start your workout because then you will pull protein from your muscles to make the glycogen you need to fuel the workout so you can burn fat. After exercise, you need a mix of protein and carbs within an hour of exercise in order to replace the glycogen burned and provide the protein for muscle recovery.
This discussion has been closed.