Need help getting started

Options
Hanlonx
Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
Hi!

A little bit about me.. I am 19, 5ft and currently weigh 123lbs and I am hoping to go down to 112lb. I know I am not 'overweight' but as I have such a small frame and a really small torso you can really notice every pound on me! Does anyone have any tips for motivating myself to keep going? I eat healthy 95% during the week but at weekends wine and Bountys are my downfall! Also does anyone have any tips for exercises to do in the gym? I have just recently joined PureGym and will be going to about 3/4 classes a week. (I used to go to the gym quite a lot but never saw a difference) I have a holiday at the end of Aug, is it possible for me to see any improvement before I go? Also please feel free to add me! :smile:

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you are eating/drinking at a deficit. If you enjoy wine, make sure it fits into your calorie goal. I drink wine and beer occasionally, but I always make sure it fits into my day before I do.

With only 11 pounds to lose, the going will be slow. (The less you have to lose the harder it is to lose.) Set your MFP goal to lose 0.5 pounds a week. It will give you a calorie goal; eat that goal everyday. If you exercise, eat back about half of your calories (since MFP tends to over estimate calorie burns).

It sounds like you are wanting to lose weight and recomposition your body (tone up). To do this, you'll want to incorporate strength training into your exercise plan. I follow New Rules of Lifting for Women, but Stronglifts is also a great program.

It is possible to see improvements before you go on holiday.

And read these links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about being in a calorie deficit. If you are in a deficit all week, but overdo on the weekends, you can wipe out all your hard work. Weigh (with a scale), measure, and log all your food. If you're not doing that, you can easily underestimate what you are eating and drinking.

Seeing improvements in 6 weeks is possible, but maybe not the ones you want to see. Because you are close to goal, your weight loss will be slow. Water weight will come off fast, but not fat. Lifting will make a difference in body composition, but you probably will only see minimal results in 6 weeks.

I would eat as healthy as possible, exercise several days a week, buy some new clothes that you look awesome in and then go have fun on your holiday.
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    I have set my MFP goal to loose 0.5lbs a week and it has set me with 1300 calories to eat, would you advise that I stick to this?

I just need to stick to exercising, I dont for the most part find healthy eating difficult its finding the energy to go to the gym!

Thank you for your answers. :happy:
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    I have set my MFP goal to loose 0.5lbs a week and it has set me with 1300 calories to eat, would you advise that I stick to this?

I just need to stick to exercising, I dont for the most part find healthy eating difficult its finding the energy to go to the gym!

To the bold: yes, stick to that. MFP's calorie goals are pretty good for the most part. With that goal though, if you workout, make sure you eat back at least half of you exercise calories.

I find following a program gives me a boost to go to the gym. New Rules of Lifting For Women and Stronglifts are both great programs for toning your body. They both give you exercises to do, how many reps, and how many sets so it's easy to walk in and do what you have to do without trying to come up with your own program. Note: when you start weight lifting, you may see a gain on the scale because your muscles will retain some water to repair themselves. Also, with weight lifting you won't lose per the scale really fast, but you'll see your body change and will lose inches. I highly suggest taking body measurements prior to starting to workout and taking them every 2-4 weeks to see how you're progressing.
  • Hanlonx
    Options

To the bold: yes, stick to that. MFP's calorie goals are pretty good for the most part. With that goal though, if you workout, make sure you eat back at least half of you exercise calories.

I find following a program gives me a boost to go to the gym. New Rules of Lifting For Women and Stronglifts are both great programs for toning your body. They both give you exercises to do, how many reps, and how many sets so it's easy to walk in and do what you have to do without trying to come up with your own program. Note: when you start weight lifting, you may see a gain on the scale because your muscles will retain some water to repair themselves. Also, with weight lifting you won't lose per the scale really fast, but you'll see your body change and will lose inches. I highly suggest taking body measurements prior to starting to workout and taking them every 2-4 weeks to see how you're progressing.

Thanks!

Where is the best place to take measurements? I looked up online and found loads of different answers as to how far up your legs ect to measure or should I just pick a spot on say my arm and continually measure that spot?
  • xcalygrl
    Options

Thanks!

Where is the best place to take measurements? I looked up online and found loads of different answers as to how far up your legs ect to measure or should I just pick a spot on say my arm and continually measure that spot?

Pick a place and consistently measure at that place. When you start taking measurements, it doesn't really matter where you take measurements (IMO). The important thing is to make sure you measure at the same place going forward.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My big tip would be don't eat back exercise calories. You can easily overeat if you do that. Don't let increases on the scales worry you. Your weight can fluctuate. If you have to weigh yourself all the time, do it every morning and average it out for the week to accurately measure your losses.

P.s. feel free to add me.