Ketogenic diet, sleepy after meals, too much fat or protein?

Options
I have 5 weeks doing the ketogenic diet, after meals i am sleepy or lethargic, a meal like 6oz of beef liver cooked with 2 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 cup of broccoli give me a lethargic feeling in just a few minutes, in my breakfast 2 eggs fried in 2 tablespoon of coconut oil put me lethargic too in just a few minutes, i was thinking that coconut oil was the suspect so the next day i fried my 2 eggs in just 1 teaspoon of pasture fed butter and this time this breakfast give me a lethargic feeling in 1 hour after eating, egg sensivity? I dont know, i tried cook my beef meat in butter too and the same thing in just a couple of minutes i feel lethargic, since 1 week i am eating 10oz of beef meat in lunch and dinner.

1. Too much protein? (more of 6oz of beef meat, insulin spike?)

2. Fats allergy or too much fat in my meals?

3. Too low calories in my breakfast? (lethargic after 2 eggs in breakfast)

4. Meat can loose his fat if i over cooked it? Or fried it? I like my meat some roasted.

My keto template is like this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in 2 tablespoon of coconut oil .

Lunch: 10oz of beef meat fried in 2 tablespoon of coconut oil + 1 cup of cauliflower

Dinner: 10oz of beef meat fried in 2 tablespoon of coconut oil + 1 cup of broccoli

Snack: 2.3 oz of cheddar cheese or 1oz of walnuts.

I am a guy of 27 years old, 168cm, 118 lb, hipoglycemic with family of diabetics, yesterday i fast 24 hours and i dont feel bad i just feel good with a lot of energy but after eating my dinner i feel so lethargy and after just 1 hour i feel some hungry, 2 hours after a lot of hungry, i dont understand, today i will try with 4oz of beef meat but i am concerned about my calories, how much is the recommended calories per meal? or grams of protein per meal? I am doing 60 minutes of elliptical machine daily and 3 times a week weights with dumbbells.

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    How does your macronutrient balance look (aside from the huge fat content)? Your fruit and vegetables look way too low to be healthy. If you're working out so much, your carb level is also way lower than I'd think you would need.

You should go to a nutritionist in conjunction with a doctor if you have a specific goal in mind such as this one. Good luck with your cure of depression! That is such a lofty goal!
  • majinboox
    majinboox Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How does your macronutrient balance look (aside from the huge fat content)? Your fruit and vegetables look way too low to be healthy. If you're working out so much, your carb level is also way lower than I'd think you would need.

You should go to a nutritionist in conjunction with a doctor if you have a specific goal in mind such as this one. Good luck with your cure of depression! That is such a lofty goal!

Yes, i reduced my fat intake, i just remove the 2 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil, but i am in troubles again, i cant find help in my third world country so i dont know what is wrong in my meals, i am very grateful if someone help me, i am having a lot of improvements in my mood before eating (none of crap business psychiatric meds give me this improvements) but the lethargic feeling down me after eating, is ironic, a 24 hours of fasting makes me feel good and energetic but after eating i even get my depression feelings back, in my country nutritionist and doctors are ignorants, they think that a low carb diet is dangerous.

My macronutrient balance is 5% carbs, 25-30% protein, 65-70% fats.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would eat more carbs for energy after meals. 5% is an extreme limit that is not needed after induction. Your body is clearly signaling for a change.
  • cloudybrain
    Options
    Oh god horrible advice! Unless you are type1 diabetes or some underlying issue.. then.. d not follow their advice!

They completely ignored the fact you are on ketogenic diet! Don't listen to them. I just happened to stumble upon this thread by chance and had two face palm twice! No.. your low veggies and fruits are not the culprit. No.. your carbs are not the culprit. 5% or less is exactly what you want. Your macros are good.

What it usually is.. is the amount of fluids you take. Ketogenic diets don't let your body hold that much water. When you eat.. too much blood is being used to regulate your digestive system. You need to have a balanced ratio of magnesium.. potassium.. sodium. So you eat veggies containing those. Don't eat veggies for the sake of eating them.

It depends on how small you are. Smaller people need smaller meals. Stress levels... big factor! Ketogenic diets are all about getting adequate sleep. If you dont.. this diet will not work! For SOME people.. as you reach a target weigjt.. a carb refeed once a week can be reintroduced. This means carbs high in the GI.. like rice.. potatoes.. corn.. and sugary goodness like cotton candy.. rice crispy treats.. skittles.. during a six hour window period. This is done to help reset hormonial imbalances.

As far as.. "your body is signaling for change" myfitnesspale3 was right.. it loves being fat.. and doesn't want you to change.. thats why exercising is hard.. dieting is hard.. eating right is hard. You're body doesn't know to deal with it. The only time when it doesn't signal for change is when you are sitting in that couch for hours on end eating nothing but sugar and junky carb foods.

Your micronutrients are right.

Next time join a keto community and ask questions there. They don't follow mainstreet advice and provide better scientific backing.

Geeez
  • melissaneese85
    Options
    Too much meat imo. I would up your veggie intake and add carbs from carrots and beets occasionally
  • Cindoka
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet too.
    Drink a lot of water and forget vegetables.
    If u're not getting enough vitamins, try some multivitamins (me and my friends that don't eat a lot of salad -shame- take Centrum to compensate).
    My metrics at MFP are 10% carbs (30g) and 1200 calories, and I'm doing just fine, not feeling sleepy at all.
    Only at work I drink near 2,5L of water / tea. At home or other places, there's more water / tea.
    Add butter to your meat instead of just frying them at coconut oil.
    Prepare your meat, put a spoon (or more) of butter over it, wait it to melt and eat!
    For breakfast (when hungry), I eat a few slices of cheese and ham, or brazilian nuts, or just cheese.
    My lunches pretty much are meat and salad.
    Dinner, if I'm at home, is pretty much the same of the breakfast, or some omelet.

Take a look at reddit / keto
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cloudybrain>> This means carbs high in the GI.. like rice.. potatoes.. corn.. and sugary goodness like cotton candy.. rice crispy treats.. skittles.. during a six hour window period. This is done to help reset hormonial imbalances.

Your advice is bizarre. Is it sarcastic? You appear to commend the ketogenic diet, and ALSO recommend "carb refeed". That is NOT a thing. Geez indeed.

To OP, you do want to watch out for vitamin and mineral deficits. Tight logging may help you identify where you need to supplement. MFP database does show perfect information in all nutrients for all foods, for example potassium levels are frequently undocumented.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Getting keto adapted took me two months and I did feel like you during that time period. Moving from running only on glucose to start burning ketones mainly can be a shock on the body. Most likely the coconut oil is not your issue or you may be doing too little perhaps. Just take time and make adjustments up/down/right/left. Some report months to keto adapt. At least you are taking a new approach to weight lose.
  • walkingmommy2014
    walkingmommy2014 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am on Keto too. Sometimes, if I eat too much in one sitting, I get sleepy too. I have not thought twice about it tho, because when I ate tons of carbs I always felt tired after eating. Maybe smaller portions spread throughout the day? Good Luck.