How do I workout In this HOT HUMID weather? :(

Options
124»

Replies

• my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you need to, treat yourself to a window air conditioner. Force yourself through your workouts as required, then let yourself lay or stand in the air conditioning for an equal time you worked out for.

I live just outside Halifax, so I know the humidity you refer to, and I've been running 5-8 km every second day. Its really not that bad once you make the decision to workout and stick with it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym, and do DVDs at home.
  • TheGriffCannon
    TheGriffCannon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    just think to yourself while working out that you could live somewhere thats actually hot & humid like Florida. lol
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Poke fun all you want, but this summer HAS been really hot and humid - at least in Eastern Canada.

Those with the "try living in _______ (insert hot area)" ... how long have you lived in the hot climate? You're most likely acclimated to the heat/humidity.
    In a lot areas of Canada, we get maybe a week or 2 of hot, sticky weather. and then it starts to cool. This year, July has been at 28-29 and mid 30's with the humidex and a humidity at 85-90%. We aren't used to it.

It seems like nothing to those who ARE used to it. We aren't. And neither is my hair.

OP - try early mornings or in the evenings, but if it's like here, most evenings the humidity doesn't drop until after midnight sometimes. It's tough, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and go!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Should try living in Phoenix, Arizona. Gotta just get up and do it and drink water.

Arizona is dry heat, humid heat is way worse

Really? I can't tell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Should try living in Phoenix, Arizona. Gotta just get up and do it and drink water.

triple digits really doesn't matter how dry or humid.. chit is effing hot.
    my gym seriously needs to fix their AC it is not powerful enough for a room full of sweating people.

someone on the treadmill complained once that our gym was too hot- it was like I dunno 72.

And I was sitting on the bench between sets just getting ready to complain to the owner it was too damn cold.

I much prefer hot workouts to cold ones- it's just to easy to get cold between sets and then lifting becomes problematic and takes longer because you have to re-warm up between sets.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

This is a dry heat too.
    1174728360_glass_blowing.jpg

So is this.
    forest-fire_1076.jpg

And this.
    desert-1.jpg?sfvrsn=2

Your 80-90 degree summers are cute. When we desert rats visit those places on vacation, it makes our hair puff up and our skin feel so good.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I much prefer hot workouts to cold ones- it's just to easy to get cold between sets and then lifting becomes problematic and takes longer because you have to re-warm up between sets.
    Ooooh, good point... I hadn't thought of this.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    ...work out inside?