Lifting without results

Options
Hi all:

About 18 months ago I started a lifting program, something that was incredibly difficult for me as a chronic cardio person. I initially worked with a trainer, but have since moved and am just not sure that I want to go the whole trainer route again, for a variety of reasons. While I had some good results initially, I seem to sort of be stuck and/or somehow working against myself. For example, while the amount of weight I can lift say, for a bicep curl, has increased dramatically, my arms still have no visible "tone." Or, while my bum does seem to sort of be lifted, it sort of fills out my pants more and some of my pants are now tighter in my thighs.

I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong, but feel fairly sure that I am, in fact, doing something wrong. Maybe wrong progression or wrong exercises and/or combination of exercises. I enjoy lifting - it makes me feel stronger and somewhat more confident in myself - but I'm just not seeing the results I expected (although, I"m not entirely sure what I expected, to be honest). Nor has the number on the scale changed.

I know there are all kinds of websites and printable routines and videos to watch...I just seem to do better with some sort of structure, at least with this component of my exercise program. And maybe I should just suck it up and go back to a trainer. In the meanwhile, I'm sort of lost and would really appreciate some advice/insight/guidance.

Thanks!

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any photos to compare? Sometimes it can be difficult to see it until you see a comparison side by side.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    1 - "toning" is simply shedding the fat to reveal the muscle. the lifting helps to maintain and/or build that muscle..but if you're not shedding the fat, you're not going to "tone up". Shedding the fat has more to do with consumption than the exercise you are doing.

2 - it doesn't really sound as if you're doing an actual program of any kind. for optimal results you should do a true lifting program that involves progressive overload...if you're not pushing yourself and progressively overloading your body's capabilities, nothing is really going to happen. a good lifting routine is going to focus far more on compound movements than isolation movements like arm curls.

you're going to have far better results doing more compound lifting using free weights. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start...I'm partial to the whole New Rules series myself. Strong Curves is also a good program. Starting Strength or Strong Lifts are outstanding beginner strength programs...note that these are actual strength building programs though, where as the New Rules and Strong Curves are more of general fitness lifting programs that will work elements of strength as well as hypertrophy and stamina/endurance.