I Cant seem to get in the required amount of calories..HELP!

Options
I eat probabaly 1100-1300 calories a day but i burn no less than 700 at the gym 4-6 days a week, sometimes burning over 1000 on those stressed out days..I am 208 however, and 5'5 33, Do you think that this will cause me to go into starvation mode and hault my weight loss?..I mean my body should know when its hungry right???? Soo confused but scared that i will sabotage myself without even trying...:-(

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    drink your calories! have some apple juice, or chocolate milk...i really like almond chocolate milk...
  • veteranrob1973
    Options
    Your body needs energy to burn fat. Be careful.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try eating an energy bar or those little gelly things before you work out. 700-1000 calories is a LOT for your body to burn, so give it some energy to do it with!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try using nut butters with fruit, eat full fat, or higher fat, versions of food (switch from skim to 1% or 2% milk), add olive oil to sauces and on salads, add avocado to salads or sandwiches, a handful of nuts is a great snack, so is dehydrated fruit. You don't have to eat more quantity of food to get more calories, just eat more calorie dense foods.
  • byebye200
    Options
    Thanks guys...i had some nuts today and a yogurt for snack...it just feels weird eating when im not hungry , like I am doing somthing SOO wrong..lol...i even tried not buning so much at the gym...but that never works..ill get to 350 and say oh just do to 400, get there oh might as well do 500, and so on...uugghh...But I have lost about 22 lbs since Oct 12...and ive only been back at the gym for 4 weeks tomorrow....thats not too much right?...
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    id say do what your doing if your body feels full it wont go into starvation mode just kinda make sure your eating under your calorie goals and just make sure your listening to your body if you feel tired gets some more long lasting carbs in their like apples if you feel sore get more protein
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your net calories do not go below 1200 each day. If you can not consume enough to keep your net calories at 1200 or higher, you will HAVE to exercise less. Sad, but true. When we were cycling this summer, I had to cut back because I could not possibly consume the calories to keep my net above 1200 calories. Good luck.
  • RyanEli
    RyanEli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't eat when you're not hungry if that's something your'e not comfortable with. Just eat more calorie-dense foods when you are hungry. Don't fill yourself up with celery (for example) when you could be eating some hardboiled eggs or something with many more calories.
  • byebye200
    Options
    I am eating lots of fruits and veggies, no red meat tho...i was thinking about adding some in once a week...i really dont like the heaviness i feel after eating it though...
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    snack on fruits or veggies and I think protein bars are a good start too. Even a protein shake since you can drink it and not feel like you are forcing food in your mouth. Honestly though if you are burning 1000 cal at the gym you should be eating much more then 1100 or 1300 a day. ;)

What is your current eating routine? Like 3 meals a day? If you are not already doing this try eating 5 or 6 smaller meals per day, each ranging from 200-300 cal and not more then 3 hrs apart.
  • untamedheart
    Options
    Also, don't add in your exercise until the end of the day. For some reason MFP will give you the extra calories you burned working out but then tell you that you rick going into starvation mode. Get as close to your 1200-1300 calorie goal as you can, just watch your fat and sugars the most. Additional protein will help you to build lean muscle which burn fat and protein helps you feel full too.
  • lisa451999
    Options
    You should eat every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism revved. Eating as little as you are will cause your body to go into starvation mode and it will start to store fat. . You should definitely be eating more than 1000-1200 if you are burning 700 in the gym. You need the calories to fuel your workouts. Eat lots of protein to feed your muscles and to make you feel fuller longer. Eat clean foods.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your weight loss.
  • byebye200
    Options
    Yup , I am eating for instance... today egg whites with low fat cheese and a slice of whole 12 grain bread 8oz oj(b) , green tea and yogurt and pistachios half cup or so (snack), its been time or me to eat my lunch but im NOT hungry..im going to eat it now tho, i have whole grain crackers, a pear and an apple to get through along with a healthy choice steamer thingy..n thats only 220 calories.....i guess ill eat more pistachios and my apple with that....then when i leave work i go straight to gym..then go home n cook n eat...its seems perfect just not enuff food.....im going to work on this..Thanks again guys!....Boy is this a process...lol
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As long as you are feeling good and eating at least 1200 calories a day (I'm not talking about "net" calories), you will probably be fine. And change it up a little - try not to eat the same thing or the exact same # of calories every day. Then, if you feel good and strong, I wouldn't workout less - I just wouldn't worry about stuffing yourself to eat what you burn. If you're not hungry, then you're body isn't asking for food, right (assuming you eat at least 1200 calories)?? That's how I feel anyway!

Sounds like you're doing really well. Try not to stress about all the theories too much - do what works for you!! And what you're doing seems to be working well.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    my two cents: I lost weight when I ate more. I eat half my exercise calories plus my allotment. When I ate less, my progress slowed. Try eating a whole egg or two. If they are free range and organic they will give you the nutrition and energy you need for your work-outs. Don't be afraid of good fats. Avocado, nuts & seeds, extra virgin olive oil. The make you healthy, are good for your skin and hair, and help you absorb nutrients in your food. If you eat low fat everything there are vitamons that you are not absorbing. Be healthy and happy.
  • jac2lyn
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat more foods, try almonds and dried fruit for a snack with yoru yogurt. I like to put peanut butter on my apples and today I even had some Nutella as a treat on my apple. Trying these types of things will help you out. Nutella has a lot of sugar but it was a treat. Sometimes I put dried cranberries in my salads, its only an extra 20 cals but tasted great and adds a little extra when I burned alot of calories.

I try not to drink my cals unless the cals are a good source of protein or a recovery drink. I like chocolate milk once in a while (its the perfect recovery drink) and I like to have orange juice with ice in a blender as a dessert or treat, add a few strawberry pieces and get a really good slushy dessert. These will add healthy cals but def. dont eat just to eat!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get rid of that last 19-20lbs. MFP set my calorie intake at 1200 and I am always under. I am a plain jane kind of girl I don't really eat anything fancy. Lots of subway, turkey with lots of veggies on whole wheat things like that but, everyday I am still under my calorie intake. Not sure what I'm doing wrong..any ideas. I would like to kick that last 19 before Christmas. Thanks = )
  • byebye200
    Options
    I am trying to get rid of that last 19-20lbs. MFP set my calorie intake at 1200 and I am always under. I am a plain jane kind of girl I don't really eat anything fancy. Lots of subway, turkey with lots of veggies on whole wheat things like that but, everyday I am still under my calorie intake. Not sure what I'm doing wrong..any ideas. I would like to kick that last 19 before Christmas. Thanks = )

Hey , just read through what everyone was telling me....We can do this!....

I forgot to mention all that i take a appy suppressant! DUH!!!! im going to Stop taking it Sunday..ANd Monday I will work on getting more cals in...and less (maybe) working out..(i luv SWEATING)..lol
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    also, get a Heart Rate Monitor to be sure of your burn if you don't have one already. 700-1000 is a LOT and would be a full hour to hour and a 1/2 at max heart rate. if you're going by the machine, it might be telling you over double what you are really burning! And then you might overeat thinking you need more cals.

But, no matter what the # turns out to be, work on eating more. It will help you and you can get in cals easily! almost 300 in just one bite of peanut butter - tell me you can't stomach that when you don't feel like a full meal! You don't have to eat huge amounts of food, just chose high cal foods wisely!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Note, this goal is likely unrealistic. Especially when you have so little to lose at 20 lbs (pending that your goal is not lower than your body wants to go, then it will take even longer! (to do it healthily at least!)) 1 lb per week is more likely and when you get to the last 10 lbs - losing at about 1/2 per week is more likely. So, in 5 weeks - you can expect to lose 4-6 of those 20 lbs. Don't let this discourage you and don't sabotage your long term results by trying unhealthily for a short term goal! (Especially with the holidays - you should allow yourself a little wiggle room to be able to enjoy this time of year (w/out going overboard!)). Under eating is a hugely misunderstood method to losing weight.

(PS, i recently kicked up my eating an extra 400 or so cals a day plus the majority of my exercise cals, putting me at 1900-2400 a day, and "immediately" (3 weeks, but I was loosing .25-.5 a week before) lost almost 4 lbs!)