Pasta, how I loathe thee...

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
Yesterday, we had pasta for the first time since I got my food scale.

I'm shocked at what a single portion of pasta is. Shocked and disgusted. And disappointed. I AM supposed to weigh it cooked, right?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    depends on if the nutritional info says cooked or raw, raw is best because everyone cooks pasta differently

pasta is my kryptonite though, i try to keep it to once a week because i almost always end up wanting more after eating it
  • drich1989
    drich1989 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! There's no way I could have just ONE tiny serving. I had to cut it out completely except for rare occasions.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    depends on if the nutritional info says cooked or raw, raw is best because everyone cooks pasta differently

The nutritional info didn't specify :\
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Usually the weight is before cooking it unless otherwise specified.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You weigh pasta dry before cooking. It's still a disappointing amount though, unfortunately.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One of my absolute favorite food is spaghetti with meatballs. /sigh

Why does it have to be so high in calories? /cry
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I learned to make a better sauce and then cut back on the pasta part of the meal. Sometimes it's still hard, though.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Nope, weigh it dry. The measurements are off when you cook it, based on how long you cook the pasta (how much water is absorbed, etc).

Yeah, 2 oz of pasta is pretty skimpy unfortunately!
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I had to give up pasta I would be better off packing up and going home.

I eat it regularly and within my calorie limit for the day, it is one of the main foods I couldn't do without.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weigh it dry and try to have a good workout the next day!
    I grew up on homemade sauce and pasta.
    It's hard not to fill the entire bowl and eat it all!
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The serving info is usually given for raw which is why your portion looks tiny. I was making this mistake in my logging. Generally speaking, 2 oz raw = 4 oz cooked. It's not as bad as you think.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The serving size for most pasta is 2 oz or 56g and that is dry aka uncooked.

While it's not as much as I'd like to eat, it's not too bad with a good hearty sauce mixed in.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I save pasta for my eating out dinners... I track this as well, but I don't lose my mind over these calories since it RARELY happens.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Nope, weigh it dry. The measurements are off when you cook it, based on how long you cook the pasta (how much water is absorbed, etc).

Yeah, 2 oz of pasta is pretty skimpy unfortunately!

This^ ... I love my pasta far too much to not eat it. I burn a lot, so I can afford to eat it as often as I like to.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I don't eat pasta anymore, and it really wasn't hard to give up. I was never a huge pasta lover to begin with. However, I'm sure that the serviing size is very disappointing.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    i actually don't have an issue with a single serving. I just make sure my pasta is the side instead of the main or is mixed with so much other stuff that I don't need the pasta but as an additional item. So I fill my plate with chicken and broccoli with a side of pasta. Instead of when the chicken and broccoli were sides TO the pasta.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I try to beef up my pasta with veggies, like green beans or broccoli, so the meal feels heartier.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    2oz of dry pasta is a serving. I think the "wet" serving is given in cups, which really just isn't useful. It's more than you think (especially if you weighed 2oz after boiling), but not a ton. I've added more veggies to my sauce to fill it out. Super yummy, although it's almost more like an Italian stew/chili.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

The nutritional info didn't specify :\
    as others have said raw for sure then.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I started eating spaghetti squash instead and made my own sauce using the recipe builder thingy on here. I now prefer the spaghetti squash over the real thing. and I have my sauce frozen so I can have it in an instant.

I cant wait for fall - I have 3 spaghetti squash plants going