spahetti squash - need inspiration!

Options
mariluny
mariluny Posts: 428 Member
Hi!

I bought spaghetti squash but i'm tired of the same old tomato sauce variation over the squash strand. Anybody have original recipe to share?

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I bought spaghetti squash but i'm tired of the same old tomato sauce variation over the squash strand. Any body have original recipe to share?

The last time we made spaghetti squash I made a sauce to go with it. I can't remember the brand now, but there was spaghetti sauce in a jar but to give it more protein for me I cooked lean ground beef in a pan and then once that was browned I added a few cups of the spaghetti sauce and together it tasted great. I think the last flavor of the sauce that I bought was spinach and cheese, or something like that.
  • Lil_Lanie
    Lil_Lanie Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I bought spaghetti squash but i'm tired of the same old tomato sauce variation over the squash strand. Anybody have original recipe to share?

My family likes this one:

1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    Olive oil or any oil you prefer
    Cooking spray
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup fat free feta (or any feta)
    3 tbsp sliced black olives
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Preheat over to 350 an spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Place spaghetti squash with cuts side down and bake 30 minutes. Remove and let squash cool. Heat a little oil in skillet over medium heat, add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook an additioanl 2 minutes and then stir in tomatoes and cook until just warmed through. Scoop out the spaghetti squash and toss with vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. 4 servings
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Try this one... Have made this several times. Family favorite..

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spaghetti-squash-casserole-ricotta-spinach-00000000048458/

od
    Click a Star to Rate This Recipe
    Read Reviews or Write Your Own
    Serves 8| Hands-On Time: 15m| Total Time: 1hr 30m
    Ingredients
    1 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 15-ounce container ricotta
    1 large egg
    4 cups baby spinach, chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    kosher salt and black pepper
    2 cups grated mozzarella (1/2 pound)
    Directions
    Heat oven to 400° F. Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the cut sides with the oil, place cut-side down, and roast until tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, spinach, garlic, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
    With a fork, gently scrape out the strands of flesh and add to the ricotta mixture. Mix gently to combine.
    Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish, sprinkle with the mozzarella, and bake until browned and bubbling, 18 to 22 minutes.
    By Caroline Wright
    See Nutritional Information for this recipe »
    Nutritional Information
    Per Serving
    Calories 245Calories From Fat 142
    Fat 16g
    Sat Fat 9g
    Cholesterol 76mg
    Sodium 514mg
    Protein 14g
    Carbohydrate 13g
    Sugar 4g
    Fiber 3g
    Iron 1mg
    Calcium 295mg
  • jenniferchew2012
    jenniferchew2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This one is amazing!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html

Baked Spaghetti Squash and CheeseSkinnytaste.com
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 165 • Fat: 8 g • Protein: 10 g • Carb: 16 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 6.5 g
    Sodium: 278.5 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small)
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gf)
    2 cups skim milk
    1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
    8 oz Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
    salt and pepper, to taste
    4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
    1/8 cup grated parmesan
    Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Maintain the oven temperature.

Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes.

Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with salt and pepper.

Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked spaghetti squash and baby spinach, pour into a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden 25 to 30 minutes.
  • chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    Try this one. I made it twice and turned out great each time

"low carb Greek lemon chicken soup"

Yield: 8 servings

Serving Size: 1.5 cups

Ingredients

4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
    10 cups chicken stock or broth
    3 eggs
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
    Instructions

Add the chicken and broth to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until frothy. Slowly whisk 2 cups of hot stock into the egg mixture – don’t just dump it in or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs! Once the stock has been incorporated into the egg mixture, add back to the pot. Stir in the spaghetti squash and gently reheat the soup if necessary – don’t bring to a boil or the eggs may curdle. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese (optional).
    Notes

Approx nutrition info per serving: 289 calories, 15g fat, 4g net carbs, 33g protein
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    These all look very good! I'll give them a try! Thanks
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BUMP! have never tried/cooked spaghetti squash. I'm inspired!
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All sound yummy! Funny the variations of temp/time of baking the squash.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always serve it with tomato sauce and meatballs. But I always have some left over. Last time, I put a little butter in a pan and just fried them up like hash browns and ate them with eggs. Topped with a little sea salt. Squash browns!
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love it with lots of sauteed veggies (different squashes, onions, peppers), homemade tomato sauce, and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I add grilled chicken. It's also good (and easy) with just EVOO, sea salt, and cheese.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    last time i even used spaghetti squash i made it as a shrimp scampi. amazing taste and perfect texture with all that garlicy goodness.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i mix mine with alfredo and chicken and bake (topped with parmesan, of COURSE) until bubbly and gooey.... ohhhh sooo good!
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OR with pesto, mozzarella, and tomato mmmmm so fresh and delicious!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I simply steam mine, separate the strands & then put in frying pan with olive oil, garlic, s&p. When it is all brown & crisp (looks & tastes similar to hash browns) I sprinkle with parm cheese. It is delish!!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was JUST trying to figure out what to do with the one I bought. I actually eat high carb use pasta, but I love trying new veggies. I see a couple on here that look pretty good. This is the one I found on Pinterest that I think I'll try tonight. Sounds like it'll be great with the spinach and mushrooms, yum! I'll use veggie broth and no wine though, definitely more seasoning and maybe a little parmesean.

Spaghettti Squash with Sauteed Spinach & Mushrooms

2 small or 1 large spaghetti squash
    1 large leek
    3 cloves garlic
    1 container mushrooms
    1 bag baby spinach
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/8 cup dry white wine, optional
    salt and pepper, to taste
    olive oil, for sauteeing

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place flesh-side-down on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 45 minutes until it pierces easily with a fork. Remove from oven and let cool. With a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and add the spaghetti strands to a bowl. Continue scraping until you’ve emptied the entire squash. If it’s hard to scrape, try returning the squash to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. The strands will be soft with just a little bite to them.

In the meantime, slice the leek in half vertically and wash well to remove dirt. Dry on paper towels and and cut crosswise into thin slices. Saute the garlic and leek in olive oil for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms are soft and lightly browned. Add spinach (don’t worry if it won’t fit in the pan, it will wilt down into nothing in seconds) and pour in chicken stock. Stir the spinach until wilted and add wine. Season with salt and pepper. Add spaghetti squash and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning, if needed. Saute for a few minutes. Serve immediately.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always serve it with tomato sauce and meatballs. But I always have some left over. Last time, I put a little butter in a pan and just fried them up like hash browns and ate them with eggs. Topped with a little sea salt. Squash browns!

SQUASH BROWNS. OH MY GAWG. :love:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash to stretch lean cuisines....the beef broccoli.. the really lo cal ones when in a hurry at work
  • trace79or
    trace79or Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just made this the other night: I roasted the squash with some olive oil and then sautéed some kale and onions with some olive oil and then threw in some balsamic vinegar and stirred it up for dinner....it was delicious and my husband said that he tasted meat lol! I think I found a variation of this recipe on Pinterest.com you should look on there, there are TONS of awesome SS recipes:)
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I like making spaghetti squash "boats." They do nothing for the flavor, but it's kinda cute.

Step one: Make spaghetti squash, but it in half and take out the "spaghetti"
    Step two: Make basil pesto
    Step three: Cook some chicken and bacon (dice them up in bite size chunks)
    Step four: Mix all of that deliciousness together
    Step five: put everything back in squash
    Step six: sprinkle your favorite cheese
    Step seven: bake until cheese is done

Enjoy.

Of course, I'll do variations. Adding bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli... anything on hand, really. But a nice garlicky basil pesto... oh, yes.