New start to a new me - no excuses!!

Options
Hi Everybody!

I'm really excited to be on this site and am looking forward to the new adventure which I like to call, Lose 50 before the climb!!

I have always eaten healthy (I love to cook) but I have recently moved and adopted a commuter lifestyle. Sit on the train to work, Sit at my desk, sit in school, sit on the train home, sit on the couch. I do a lot of sitting.

With all this sitting, I have begun to notice that I have started gaining weight and instead of maintaining my chubby weight of 190 pounds at 5'6 inches, I am expanding in my tummy area, feeling exhausted all the time and to feel better, I eat more! I recently broke up with my boyfriend, who was a fitness aficanado (6 pack, low BMI and all) and started feeling sorry for myself.

I started looking at myself in the mirror and realized, that I cannot survive on personality alone. Espacially when my personality doesn't reflect to who I am on the outside! I know that sounds superficial but when you don't like what you look like on the outside, you don't like who you are on the inside (in my case anyways) and its been a downward spiral.

I want to feel good, inside and out and instead of falling into a pattern of feeling sorry for myself (and eating more chocolate - it doesn't help that my roommate works at Lindt), I need to do something. I have everything right there but just need to get into action.

I use every excuse in the book but am excited to start a new chapter. I have a gym and pool in my condo (so I definately can get up in the morning and walk down the hall to work out) and I have an extremely supportive roomie that yells at me to keep me motivated - lol.

Today is my offical start date and my goals are to:

1. Lose 50 pounds by May 1st (10 pounds per month)
2. Adopt a more vegetarian diet
3. Say no to bad food temptation!!
4. Build up my endurance

I'm going to be trekking Mount Everest in October 2011 for 20 days and before I start my endurance training, I want to lose the weight and live healthy habits!

For me, this challenge is about the self-discovery of my self-control and myself! I lost who I was for a long time and now I am taking on a healthy lifestyle, positive perspective and also a career change. I do hope to meet others in the forum on similar journies and be able to support each other on this fun ride!

Replies

• screwtape
    Options
    Wow, what a fantastic set of goals!

As for chocolate, I like to allow myself to one or two small pieces of dark chocolate a day, usually just a single square or a mini or something with coffee. I find this helps me get my fix without blowing my diet entirely. It must be hard to resist w/ a roommate working for Lindt!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Elaine_NZ
    Options
    Yes I agree! Fantastic set of goals! Welcome to MFP your love it & your meet some really good people here!!
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Great story and your upcoming climb sounds SO exciting!! I find this website so great. Before you put anything in your mouth, you wonder if you would want to add it to your food diary. Knowing how many calories you have left if you don't exercise can make you more likely to exercise or more likely to cut back on what you eat if you don't feel like or have time to exercise. You will also see that even 10 minutes a day will make a difference to your calories allowed. It also helps put into perspective what you are putting in your body. An occasional treat for me is a frozen Coke - I just found out today it is 240 calories...not quite worth it to me. You may find yourself tempted to lower the serving size of something that you ate so you meet your calorie goal - only then to realize that you would only be lying to yourself and getting nowhere in your weight loss endeavor. So, in short, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I wish you great success!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Welcome, glad you're here =]
  • vmata1
    vmata1 Posts: 14
    Options
    It is super hard saying not to chocolate! Espacially when my roomie is bring the new "christmas" line home this weekend for a taste test! I do like the tip on the dark chocolate.
    I've eaten 4 Baci balls today and am going to say no when I get home and instead go straight to the gym!