What to get kids for Christmas?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
If you were a 4, 7, 10 or 13 year old girl or a 8 year old boy, what would you want for Christmas?

Or, if you have kids those ages, what will you be getting them? I need to get gifts for my neices and nephew, but have no idea what to get them. I know what store gift certificates they'd want if I was to go that route, but unwrapping a gift certificate is hardly as much fun as opening a real present that you can enjoy right then and there.

I need ideas! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Kids love cash.
  • FelipaJ
    Options
    Ask the parents, chances are kids have already given them a list of items they'd like...I know my 5 year old has.
  • KWright76
    KWright76 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    pajamas. My kids can never have enough.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose get a gift receipt so that they can exchange it and they never know the value.

When I was 16 my uncle gave me a gift card to Tristan's of America, the most fugly adult clothing store there is. I bought $15 tights there (since I had to wear a kilt in high school) which is an insanely high cost for tights especially in 1997 but funny thing is, I still have them and wear them to this day (wore them last Thuesday at work actually). Those buggers last forever!

Sorry, went off topic a little, lol!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I used to post a Christmas list on the fridge at my Granny's house and my granny would keep track of what the adults were getting all the grandkids. It was a great system. Now we're all grown up (or at least outgrowing that tradition) and we've migrated to gift cards and cash. My cousin Hayley is 9 and she likes fashionable clothes... haha. Ian is 11 and he's into video games and Yu Gi Oh cards.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My two girls are liking the new Our Generation Dolls, they have them at target, and a couple other stores under different names.. they have clothes and have things like one is a cheer leader, one rides horses etc, we got both girls one each a doll
  • mml61104
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter is obsessed with Pillow Pets. And so are her friends.
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old daughter - American girl stuff (free shipping right now) and clothes from Justice, friendship bracelet making kit. My 14 year old son - cash, root beer making kit, snowball shooter (we are back in snow country). My 11 year old niece.....gift card and something small....still waiting on my 7 year old nephew....but hot wheels cars are always a good thing (or legos).
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my 8 year old's major gift was a DSi, and a remote control tonka truck that you can take apart and put back together...lots of cars, books, clothes...those fighting gerbils with armour, a deck of UNO cards, rubber man and batman, a case for his hotwheels, and then just stocking stuffers
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 12. I suggest books, cash or gift cards to anyone who asks. You can't go wrong. You can always pick up a little something at the $1.00 store to wrap up and tuck the money or card into.

It's better than racking your brain and getting them something they aren't into.

Karen
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Barbies, Littlest Pet shop, Coloring Books/markers/cool pens, DSI/Wii games.. My daughter loves those craft sets - she has create your own bangles/necklaces... Anything girly for the girls and you are safe :smile:

Sorry can't help on the boy - I only have girls :smile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my kid has been watching YTV and writing down toys from commercials that he ABSOLUTELY wants...the list only has 6 things on it so that was pretty simple...that way i can research what they are too...we don't get a SEARS catalogue or anything for him to flip through...
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    pajamas. My kids can never have enough.

i'm the pajama aunt (well cousin for some but we pretend i'm the aunt - LOL)
    i highly recommend pajamas...
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old is obsessed with the Matchbox "Stinky the Garbage Truck"... he saw it demo'd at Target and won't stop talking about it!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old granddaughter is into art and she also likes getting clothes and anything girly or princessy. I usually give the older grandkids money or a gift card to their favorite store.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    My nieces love arts & craft projects, bracelet making, etc. They are also into Moxie Dolls.

My nephew is into band stuff....drums, guitar.....so I would think that video game Guitar Hero.

Find out what kind of gaming system they have & buy games accordingly. New games @ Christmas are always the best!

I even asked for a new game for my Wii for Christmas this year......sometimes we just don't grow up....LOL!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you were a 4, 7, 10 or 13 year old girl or a 8 year old boy, what would you want for Christmas?

Or, if you have kids those ages, what will you be getting them? I need to get gifts for my neices and nephew, but have no idea what to get them. I know what store gift certificates they'd want if I was to go that route, but unwrapping a gift certificate is hardly as much fun as opening a real present that you can enjoy right then and there. I need ideas! :flowerforyou:

I'm with you! Gifts are so much more appreciated and exciting! :heart:
    4 - Leap Frog has dropped their prices dramatically, and it's all educational, so I'd DEFINITELY get a Leap Frog toy.
    7 - Hannah Montana bed sheet set (at Walmart); clutch purse with fashion jewelry to match
    10 - Easy bake oven; Toy Story 3 DVD; a girlie-colored boombox
    13 - Rihanna CD that just came out this week, it's called LOUD
    8 yr boy - Nerf pistol (plastic machine guns in bright colors with foam pencil-shaped ammunition) I just bought this for my 8yr old nephew for Christmas!
    Good luck! :happy:
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    if you get gift card just wrap them in a tiny box and then a slightly bigger box then a slightly bigger box ect ect until they have to open like 5 gifts to get to the card. My nephew is 11 and he really liked the paper jamz guitar, they have a drum set too. :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions, thank you!

By reading your replies, it helped me remember that the 7 year old loves crafts-making bracelets and stuff, so I'll probably go that route. And the 13 year old is a budding artist, so I may get her a gift card to the local art supply store.

Over the years, while doing online shopping, I've learned to go to amazon.com and read the user reviews of toys and stuff (even if you don't plan on buying it from amazon). Can't get better than real people giving honest reviews, and they toys even get reviewed by kids too!

Thanks, keep 'em coming!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Wii games, gift card for Itunes music, Ipod, cash, clothes, clothes shopping with mom because mom doesn't have a clue what to get...