Where to start (strength training)

Options
I want to start with weight and strength training in addition to my cardio because I know it's so beneficial for you. The problem is...I don't know how to properly build a routine. So I looked for routine options and I don't even know where to start, it's so overwhelming. I'm fairly capable of a lot of motion but due to tibial torsion and a complete lack of weight training in my life, I can't do a lot. And I don't even know what half the stuff is.

Add that to the anxiety of feeling awkward in a gym...if I have a set routine I can put ear buds in and go...I'm just so overwhelmed trying to find a start. My bf suggested fitocracy cause they have some stuff, but again, there's so much going on with it...What's some advice anyone can give me with this? Thanks.

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just recently started Strong lifts 5 by 5. Can get all the info online has an app for your phone I like it. You need access to barbell and plates and a Power stand. The other is Starting Strength they are both similiar. Honestly im the same always wanted to start one but information overload I would suggest strong lifts. Start light and work up.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of strong lifts. The phone ap makes it super easy to keep track of what to lift each time.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5!!

There's a community/group here for ladies!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Ooooh anything with a phone app definitely makes my life easier.

The barbell sounds intimidating, is the only thing> I'll get over it after doing it a couple times.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I also jus started Stonglift 5x5. I love it. The app makes it easy to remember what I am supposed to be doing, and how much weight. Also, I didn't want something overly complicated, so Stronglifts was a good choice for me.

As an aside, has anyone ever told you that you look like Starbuck from Battlestar Gallactica (the re-make obviously)?
  • belgerian
    Options
    Ive been running for about 4 years now and the free weight section seemed to always intimidate me ive been doing strong lifts now for 4 weeks and I enjoy. Sure as you learn more you can always do something different but it is a good place to start and you can google all the movements on youtube and see how they are performed so you dont look like a total novice in the free weight section. (that was a joke at myself also).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For an actual strength program, you can't get any better introduction than Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a similar program but works in a 5x5 format rather than a 3x5 format. Note that both of these are actual strength programs...as in training for optimal strength. They are low rep and heavy weight programs designed for optimal strength gains.

I'm also a big fan of the New Rules series...New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great read and it does a great job of explaining the ins and outs of lifting, why you should be doing it, and has good programming (though it can be a bit complex for someone unfamiliar with the weight room). It is also an outstanding read for women in particular who are maybe a bit intimidated by a barbell.

Strong Curves is another good program. Note that these programs are more of general fitness weight training programs that will work various aspects of strength (lower rep/higher weight), hypertrophy (moderate rep/moderate weight), stamina/endurance (high rep/lower weight) and power as well as balance and flexibility.

I started out with purely doing strength training and I'm glad for that as I built a nice base of functional strength...but now I'm doing New Rules Supercharged (for men and women) to work on other aspects of lifting beyond just strength and pulling the heaviest dead lift possible. I'm enjoying the variety, particularly the power stuff like box jumps, kettle bells swings, jump squats, etc. Good stuff.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For an actual strength program, you can't get any better introduction than Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a similar program but works in a 5x5 format rather than a 3x5 format. Note that both of these are actual strength programs...as in training for optimal strength. They are low rep and heavy weight programs designed for optimal strength gains.

I'm also a big fan of the New Rules series...New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great read and it does a great job of explaining the ins and outs of lifting, why you should be doing it, and has good programming (though it can be a bit complex for someone unfamiliar with the weight room). It is also an outstanding read for women in particular who are maybe a bit intimidated by a barbell.

Strong Curves is another good program. Note that these programs are more of general fitness weight training programs that will work various aspects of strength (lower rep/higher weight), hypertrophy (moderate rep/moderate weight), stamina/endurance (high rep/lower weight) and power as well as balance and flexibility.

I started out with purely doing strength training and I'm glad for that as I built a nice base of functional strength...but now I'm doing New Rules Supercharged (for men and women) to work on other aspects of lifting beyond just strength and pulling the heaviest dead lift possible. I'm enjoying the variety, particularly the power stuff like box jumps, kettle bells swings, jump squats, etc. Good stuff.

Second the Starting Strength recommendation. It's very technical but I think it's a must read for any beginner.
  • shadowofender
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback so much everybody! I'm going to look into Strong Lifts and Starting Strength and see which one I would feel most comfortable with. You guys are the best :)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I also jus started Stonglift 5x5. I love it. The app makes it easy to remember what I am supposed to be doing, and how much weight. Also, I didn't want something overly complicated, so Stronglifts was a good choice for me.

As an aside, has anyone ever told you that you look like Starbuck from Battlestar Gallactica (the re-make obviously)?

I'm also a beginner at weights, so thanks for starting this thread so I can read it too.

And you do look like Starbuck in your pic.
  • Cait_G
    Cait_G Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with a personal trainer at the gym? Most gyms allow one, sometimes more, free sessions. And if you have any simple questions on how to use a machine, they should be able to help. I don't know much about strength training either (something I'm just getting started with as well).
  • shadowofender
    Options
    Have you talked with a personal trainer at the gym? Most gyms allow one, sometimes more, free sessions. And if you have any simple questions on how to use a machine, they should be able to help. I don't know much about strength training either (something I'm just getting started with as well).

I don't even know if there is a trainer at my gym. Certainly everyone I've seen walking around in the uniform is no one I'm taking fitness advice from. I used to work for Lifetime Fitness so I at least know how machines work and all that. I just hate machines. Free weights are where I want to be.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second, third, and fourth the Stronglifts 5x5 suggestion. There is a phone app that makes it easy to log and you can see your progress by charts and see your history via calendar. If a barbell is really intimidating, try it with dumbbells. They are a little easier to handle, although you may not go advance in weight as much. All of the SL 5x5 lifts are doable with dumbbells. My small, free office gym does not have a barbell, so that's all I work with. Maybe once you get the hang of the lifts you can try it with a barbell.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    In for suggestions! I like the concept of the Starting and SL programs though wonder if the SL program needs some calf development moves?

I am excited to start out... just waiting for September to get me a subsidized gym membership... Considering also getting the Body By You - You are Your Own Gym (For Women) book that I can use when I don't have a gym available.
  • shadowofender
    Options

I'm also a beginner at weights, so thanks for starting this thread so I can read it too.

And you do look like Starbuck in your pic.

I know this makes me a bad nerd, but I haven't seen Battlestar Gallactica :( it's been on my to watch list for FOREVER. I hope the resemblence is a good thing though!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In for suggestions! I like the concept of the Starting and SL programs though wonder if the SL program needs some calf development moves?

I am excited to start out... just waiting for September to get me a subsidized gym membership... Considering also getting the Body By You - You are Your Own Gym (For Women) book that I can use when I don't have a gym available.

umm SL is a compound movement program there is no "isolation" of any muscle in any of the exercises and that is my understanding of SS as well...besides with DL and squats and to some degree rows you are working enough of your leg muscles either from the push or stablizing yourself.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options

umm SL is a compound movement program there is no "isolation" of any muscle in any of the exercises and that is my understanding of SS as well...besides with DL and squats and to some degree rows you are working enough of your leg muscles either from the push or stablizing yourself.

Oh, yes to clarify - I did know that. I was just more thinking to spice things up once you're well into the program. And I like me some calves ;)
  • belgerian
    Options
    bsg.jpg
    And you call yourself a nerd and never saw the reboot. Your fired
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a great book. It goes into excruciating detail on the five major lifts, a few accessory lifts, and things to avoid and how to detect them.

For what it's worth it took me three months to get to two plate (225 lbs / 100kg) deadlfts on it.
  • shadowofender
    Options
    bsg.jpg
    And you call yourself a nerd and never saw the reboot. Your fired

I know, I'm a terrible nerdling :(
    Damn she's hot. If you think I look like her, I take that as a win! haha

I downloaded the Strong Lifts app...does it just generate a workout every time or something?