Sedentary vs. Lightly Active

Options
Looking for some guidance on my activity level.... I sit at an office all day (usually try to get 4000 steps in while at work) then I work out 5 times a week (get over 10000 steps).

Should I be listed as sedentary or lightly active? I am currently netting 1200 calories and from what I see people talking about that is too low. I am trying to lose 2lbs a week for right now.

Replies

• MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would say sedentary, if you're logging and/or eating back your exercise calories. The activity levels, I think, are supposed to account for the daily activities that you don't log - if you stand all day at work, for example, or do hard physical labor. For an office job, sedentary and logging your exercise calories seems like the most accurate route.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is for people who basically don’t exercise at all. Most people are at least “Lightly Active” because even though they have a desk job, they still burn some calories by moving around in the office, shopping, housework, running behind their children, etc.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got your back. Today im going to teach you how to calculate your PAL (Physical Activity Level)
    First Get your estimated BMR, easy enough since MFP does a proper job of estimating it for you.
    Next find a decent TDEE calculator online. One that has a bunch of options to enter what you do on an average day. (ie time spent standing, sitting , walking, sleeping etc.)
    Once you get that use this equation (PAL = TDEE / BMR )
    plug in your numbers and if the final answer is:
    less than 1.4=Inactive
    1.4 - 1.69=Sedentary:
    1.70 - 1.99=Moderately active
    2 - 2.4=Vigorously active
    greater than 2.4=Extremely active

hope this helps

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_7264020_calculate-physical-activity-level.html
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Very helpful, Captain_Wobbles. Thanks!