Chronic Pain Ain't Gonna Stop Me

Options
Hello. Not much to say, really. I am a single mother of one child. Been suffering from a pain disorder for almost two years and want to try to get into shape despite it.

Replies

• jennifermay1971
    Options
    Hey me to, in constant pain, but this weight is going one way , away from me, really want a much healthier life so here goes, good luck to you too, this mfp it's all new to me just joined recently ..lol.
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good for you, don't let pain hold you back. I've been in pain for the past 7 months and as I drive to the gym I tell myself I will feel better once I'm done. I have to workout back to back days in order to get pain relief, endorphins from working out truly help. Just remember to take it slow and do something you enjoy :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I also have chronic pain and I found that I just needed to try different things until I found the one that would work for me with the maximum benefit and minimum pain. Turned out to be water aerobics in a warm pool.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am in the beginning stages of Rheumatoid Arthritis so I totally understand where you're coming from. Honestly, I feel so much better when I'm able to exercise. The more sedentary I am, the more my muscles atrophy, and the more pain I feel in my joints. It's definitely hard at first, but getting out and getting active has been more beneficial to me than any of the medications my doctors have prescribed. So good luck to you, and feel free to add me!
  • Snail_Whale
    Snail_Whale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Good luck to you all.

I'm on medication that helps. No official diagnosis yet, but a few contenders. Treatment is hit and miss at this point. In the meantime, I am going to try and do what I can.

Thing is, I am unemployed and on financial assistance (through Alberta works, not disability). I'm lucky my expenses are low so the amount they give me is enough to live off for now. (They also my cover my medication. Doctor/ER free because Canada). But I freakin' want to work, folks. I like working. I like doing stuff. I want to get better. So far I may have re-think all my plans for the future and go for a less physical path.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Definitely start slow. I've only been at this for about a month myself and I think my first walk was less than 15 minutes. It takes time and patience and we can only do what our bodies will allow us to do. But the more you do, the easier it gets. One of my favorite mantras is no matter how little you do, you're still beating everyone on the couch!
  • Mindless_Games
    Mindless_Games Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chronic pain person here as well (multiple spine issues from trauma)
    It's amazing how much losing weight helps chronic pain.
    Good luck to you and to all of us :)
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with chronic pain for the past 7 years, and it's recently gotten worse - and just to put the cherry on top, I'm no longer allowed any pain medication stronger than paracetamol.
    It's hard getting out there and getting started, but you will feel so much better for it. Even on my worst days, I try to walk for at least 20 minutes, because even if it hurts, it does actually keep things in check. The key is to go slow, don't push too hard, and most of all, take pride and happiness from your ability to move - no matter how limited.
    Good luck!