new but not new and needing some advice

Options
monkeygirl08
monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
Hi all! I was on here a few years ago and lost 25 pounds but gained 55 back. I just recently stated my weight loss journey again and looking to get back down to where I was before giving up. I was only working one part time job and as things changed since then, this is where I need some advice! My starting weight is 214.5, currently at 207.4 and my goal weight is to get down to 160 and reevaluate when I get there. I've been back on here for almost a month.

I have exactly a month before I go back to my first job (Currently on layoff, comes with the job of being a teacher) and I also have a 2nd job that I work. Last year, my teaching job was only part time (32.5 hrs/wk), but this upcoming year, I got promoted to full time and will be working 40 hrs, plus still trying to do my other job as well. Last school year, I was off the teaching job at 2 and would work the 2nd job at 4, plenty of time to get there with a lunch at home. This year, I would be getting off at 4 and those are the times that the 2nd job schedules you to go in. I’ve talked to my 2nd job’s manager about what my schedule may look like when I start back at teaching and she said she’d work me every weekend (no days off pretty much) and have me come in as soon as I’m off from teaching so I won’t have much of a break between jobs as I did last school year.

My thing is I’m worried about my weight loss journey. I don’t want the schedule of both jobs and the stress and tiredness I’m sure it’s going to cause to put my journey at a stall or just giving up totally. I thought about dropping the 2nd job but I need the money, even thought about going for as long as I can with both jobs before losing one but I don’t want to stop losing weight till I hit my goal and I feel with my schedule I won’t be able to work out every day. I’ve been trying to train my body to work out as soon as I wake up, but even then, I have to be awake for at least an hour before I can make myself get up and do my exercises. When I start back up in a month, I won’t have that time in the morning to get up and exercise before rushing out of the door. I won’t have that hour break from the jobs and I’ll be too tired after both jobs. Not only that, but at the teaching job, I have to eat what the children eat unless I have a doctor’s note saying I can bring packed lunches and I just don’t have XXX amount of money to go see a doctor just for a note and I won’t have any labels to help with counting calories. I teach 3-5 year olds so I pretty much don’t get a break throughout the day.

Does anyone have any advice they could share about what kind of things to prepare for light snacks throughout the day or ways to get little workouts in during the day or even some recipes for a dinner that may have to be prepared a few nights before? Also, please feel friend to send me a friend request!

Replies

• monkeygirl08
    Options
    bump. Noone?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    On the bright side you still have month on which you can try to do some exercise to have a head start in your weight loss journey. I would suggest to do some exercise at night after you get home from your part-time job, but that maybe a little hard due to your tight schedule. So the only weight to control and reduce weight is through diet. While at work, you can try fruits like pineapple or grapefruit, don't kids at school have healthy diets nowadays? We are pretty much in the same boat with the exception that I don't have a part-time job. Take things slowly. If you get some spare time do some light exercise like walking or yoga. For snacks you can Google healthy snacks. Good luck...
  • Chaiken848
    Options
    Hey monkeygirl08! First off, I'd say you are very courageous for deciding to get your health in order despite your upcoming busy schedule. It is something that will ultimately benefit you. You just have to take it one day at a time.
  • fzamora1777
    fzamora1777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I would consider looking into getting in exercises during breaks and getting a routine plan for packing healthy food and snacks for your day. I was just thinking about exercises during breaks today. For the last three weeks or so I've been riding my bike for an hour most of the days but this week has been a challenge because of other responsibilities. I am currently studying for a certification exam so what I do is take 15 minute breaks for working out in between study sessions. Tomorrow is the big exam so pass or fail I will be back riding tomorrow.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    How many hours do you work the second job on the weekend? Can you get the majority of your calorie deficit from eating well and portion control, and then get a little bonus from working out on the weekend?

Also, 3-5 year olds are super active, if that is the age group you teach, there are a bunch of physically active things I'm sure you can incorporate into the day. Maybe wear a pedometer and challenge yourself to take a certain number of steps at work.
  • monkeygirl08
    Options
    quote]
    While at work, you can try fruits like pineapple or grapefruit, don't kids at school have healthy diets nowadays?
    [/quote]

Yes the food is healthy, but some of the meals we had last year, I wouldn't even make the children eat if they didn't want to. Some things just don't taste so good.
    I am not an expert but I would consider looking into getting in exercises during breaks and getting a routine plan for packing healthy food and snacks for your day. I was just thinking about exercises during breaks today. For the last three weeks or so I've been riding my bike for an hour most of the days but this week has been a challenge because of other responsibilities. I am currently studying for a certification exam so what I do is take 15 minute breaks for working out in between study sessions. Tomorrow is the big exam so pass or fail I will be back riding tomorrow.

We don't get breaks, we have to be with the children the whole time. The only days we get breaks, are Fridays when the children are not there and thats when all the paperwork has to be completed.. Also, good luck on your exam!!
    How many hours do you work the second job on the weekend? Can you get the majority of your calorie deficit from eating well and portion control, and then get a little bonus from working out on the weekend?

Also, 3-5 year olds are super active, if that is the age group you teach, there are a bunch of physically active things I'm sure you can incorporate into the day. Maybe wear a pedometer and challenge yourself to take a certain number of steps at work.

As of right now, I don't know how many she may be scheduling me on the 2nd job for the weekend. Right now I usually work every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday OR Sunday, but that will have to change since I'll be teaching full time now. It could be from 5.5 hours to 8 hours on both days. Also, Even though its 3-5 year olds, I have to follow the lead teachers lesson plan and schedule. Usually I take over the music/Gross motor part but everything else I follow her lesson plans. During free play, Im usually with the children working on their crafts project so I can't be up with them all the time. Last year, when ever we went outside, I did try to walk the perimeter of the playground and even ran with the children, But there are other times That I have to be on the playground construction itself if another teacher isn't up there.

Thanks for your advice guys, Some of it I will try to plan into my day now to try and get myself into the routine of it. :D its much appreciated!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's sounds like you're going to be busy, so I wouldn't stress about getting workouts in, you're burning calories by working 2 jobs. So the only other option is to eat less. Watch that you're not eating more calories than MFP has you set at and you'll do fine.

Since you've done this before, you probably know about snacks. Me- a tablespoon of Skipoy all natural peanut butter keeps me from getting hungry and adds sone energy too.

Calories in versus calories out.

Welcome back
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to cook a few meals on your day off you could take or have ready between jobs? Prepare cut veggies, protein bars, trail mixes, yogurt, fat free puddings, low fat popcorn, cheese, peanut or almond butter. Low calorie bread and lite lunchmeats.
    There are some lower cal. Carb and sodium frozen meal option. Read the lables. I'm sure you tell your students they can do anything they put their mind to. So can you. YOU GOT THIS.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is my 39th year of teaching. I'm shocked at the notion that anyone would dictate what I eat. I haven't eaten anything served by the school cafeteria in several years, for sure not since I started MFP two years ago. I didn't know that was even legal.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm confused also. I taught preschool and then directed preschool for years. You're required by law to take a certain amount of breaks during the day. If you don't it's just flat out illegal and I would not work there! That's crazy. Also, why would they control your food? I've never heard of that.

Anyway... I wouldn't worry about exercising with your 2 jobs and being on your feet all day with the kids. If you get a chance, walk the playground or whatever but honestly your job is very active. You can lose weight just by what you eat. I'd say eat simple and healthy. Take easy meals you pack ahead of time. Like peanut butter sandwich and fruit or trail mix...stuff like that. Drink tons of water.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Not only that, but at the teaching job, I have to eat what the children eat unless I have a doctor’s note saying I can bring packed lunches and I just don’t have XXX amount of money to go see a doctor just for a note and I won’t have any labels to help with counting calories. I teach 3-5 year olds so I pretty much don’t get a break throughout the day.

I've never known any job that you can't pack your lunch for. It would be illegal for them to dictate to you what you can put in your body. Pack your lunch and tell them that's what you are eating in order to maintain a healthy body for you to take care of the children. If they say no, see a lawyer.