Want to do a 5k but my achilles won't let me start....

Options
Hi gang,

HELP! I've been working out regularly for the last two months. Every other day I alternate between 60 minutes walking on the treadmill (3.5 mph / 3.5-6.0 incline) and 20 minutes weights/30 minutes treadmill. And, there is at least one day off each week.

I've been wanting to start the C25K program. BUT, even on week 1 day 1 I cannot get through the program. My achilles gets extremely painful and then makes it hard to walk for a few days.

I have tried to start the program 3 times now. What am I doing wrong? I am running wrong? Is it because I am on a treadmill? Is there something I need to stretch? I've NEVER run before so I am sure it's something I am doing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to step up my treadmill time so it's more of a quality workout.

Replies

• Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had the same issue but I didn't come till week 6. For all the advice I got the 2 best pieces were to 1) Get a good pair of quality running shoes that are right for your gait. 2) Only strech after you run.

I usually walk for 2 mins to warm up and then start my jogging. You can also look up Good Form Running, that help me alot in the beginnng as well. Last thing I will say is to try and run outside as often as possible. It really is a big difference between that and the treadmill and the 5K will not be on a treadmill. Go luck to you and I will be running my first offical race this Oct!! Go get em.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/

Follow the instructions in that link. I had issues with mine all last summer and had to take off the entire winter. I have insertional Achilles tendonitis. It feels painful where it attaches to the heel. It wasn't getting much better on it's own till I started some of the items listed on this page. They cover insertional and midpoint tendonitis.

I swear this works. I discussed these items with a sports injury hospital and they hit on both the eccentric heel drops and the contrast bath right on the phone before I even asked about it. The contrast bath has helped me more than anything but the more items on this list you can do the better. Pick up one of these divided cleaning buckets and you can have ice water on one side and hot water on the other.

13481n.jpg

It could be any number of issues but they hit on a lot of the main causes in this article. Try it out and good luck.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in good shoes and go to a running store to get fit. My 14 year old runs track and cross country and last year injured her achilles from overuse. She was out 10 weeks, in a boot for 8 of them doing physical therapy 4 times a week. She now runs with a heel lift in that shoe which takes the pressure off.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/

Follow the instructions in that link. I had issues with mine all last summer and had to take off the entire winter. I have insertional Achilles tendonitis. It feels painful where it attaches to the heel. It wasn't getting much better on it's own till I started some of the items listed on this page. They cover insertional and midpoint tendonitis.

I swear this works. I discussed these items with a sports injury hospital and they hit on both the eccentric heel drops and the contrast bath right on the phone before I even asked about it. The contrast bath has helped me more than anything but the more items on this list you can do the better. Pick up one of these divided cleaning buckets and you can have ice water on one side and hot water on the other.

13481n.jpg

It could be any number of issues but they hit on a lot of the main causes in this article. Try it out and good luck.

I haven't read the whole article but what I skimmed looking really interesting, thanks for posting.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had the same issue but I didn't come till week 6. For all the advice I got the 2 best pieces were to 1) Get a good pair of quality running shoes that are right for your gait. 2) Only strech after you run.

He beat me to it. Good shoes. [the stretching is circumstantial, but I like stretching afterward too]. I usually only do a few knees to chest high kicks before I start running. I'd also advise to pretend that you're light as a feather and try landing on the pad of your foot and not your heel.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store, not a sporting good's store (like ****'s or something like that) for your shoes. They should put you on a treadmill and watch you walk and/or run to see how your feet and ankles behave as you run. Then they will recommend which shoes you should purchase. I go to Potomac River Running here in the DC area, but there are different specialty stores all over the country. So Google or use Yelp! to check out what's near you. Pro tip: just because they put you in the shoe, doesn't mean you have to buy the shoes from them. Yes, it would be nice, since they did all the work, and I always buy my shoes from them. But if you find a shoe you like, you can usually find them on Amazon or elsewhere online for cheaper. Make sure you invest well in a good running shoe. It's VERY important.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole article but what I skimmed looking really interesting, thanks for posting.

This was written by Jeff Gaudette. He writes some really good stuff and is a great running coach.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I buggered my Achilles 2 weeks ago skateboarding and it has hurt like hell. It seems to be getting better but I have been doing all the wrong things. I will follow what this article says and hopefully it will help... God I hate getting old!
  • DeeBerning
    DeeBerning Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You are all the best -- thanks for the tips! I will definitely read that article and invest in a good pair of shoes.
  • bdjncox
    bdjncox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not that you need more affirmation on the shoe thing, but it did wonders for me too. I started off walking/running using my old set of running shoes from like three years ago... blisters... ankle pain.... you name it.

I got fitted for a new pair of running shoes at a runner's store and now it's like running on a cloud!