I have multiple broken toes and loosing motivation

Options
My issue is that I had a corrective surgery on both feet a month ago and I have multiple broken bones in my toes and I am restricted on a lot of my exercising.

Before my surgery I was at the gym with a personal trainer twice a week and then classes and other work outs 2-3 other days. Since my surgery I haven't done anything.. I cant be on my feet long, and obviously with multiple broken bones, I cant do anything that puts pressure on my toes.

Before my surgery I was cooking amazing healthy meals and everything from scratch. For the last month it is easier to eat like crap and eat out so I don't have to prepare anything.

I knew my recovery was going to be about 6-8 weeks, but going into this I had such high expectations. I was thinking about how I would work on my upper body and what ever core I could and I didn't even think that the way I cook and eat would change.. I also didn't realize how much energy my body uses to heal. I am so exhausted after being on my feet for 20 minutes, and then I sit and grab some free weights in my living room and will do 15 reps and end up putting them down as I do not feel motivated to continue.

Any suggestions on...... anything?

I really really miss having my normal life... I can't sleep at night, I am frustrated and sometimes wish I didn't have the corrective surgery cause then life would be normal. *sigh*

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've been there! I had an emergency appendectomy last year that put me out of commission for awhile. My usual form of exercise is running. And like you, I had no energy for quite awhile. Healing takes up quite a lot of it.

Here's a "secret": weight loss is mostly about what you eat. Exercising is mostly a means to be able to eat more while still losing weight and to improve overall fitness. So you can't exercise? Neither can parapalegics and other people with disabilities that keep them from doing the things you are used to being able to do. I'm not saying this as a guilt-inducer but to point out that not everyone who can't be on their feet is overweight. They've learned to eat the proper amount to maintain their weight. The good news for you is that you will eventually heal and can go back to your "normal" life. In the meantime, you can change your goals so that you continue to lose, or at the very least, maintain yours.

Rather than worrying and fretting over the things you can't do, focus on the things you can. Put your crockpot to use. Meals in the slow cooker are much easier than standing over a stove. Make soups, chili, pot roast, whatever. There are lots of great, healthy recipes out there made for the crockpot. Make everything up in the morning, turn on the slow cooker, enjoy the smells all day and have a great meal at night. You might even consider making a large batch and freezing some for meals another night when you don't have the energy to cook.

Working your arms and upper body is a great idea, IF you have the energy. Your number one priority is to heal. Make sure you're leaving enough energy and getting enough sleep for that. If you're not sleeping at night, be sure to get in a nap during the day.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree--weight loss is about what you eat. Make sure you are eating enough protein & calories to heal. I would adjust your numbers to maintain rather than lose. You don't want to slow healing down because you are not fueling your body.
  • Cobblergal
    Options
    Can you ride the bicycle at the gym? If you can, bring a couple of dumbbells with you and do some bicep curls, tricep extensions and overhead presses while you peddle. As long as you are moving you are doing good. Make a turkey meat loaf and instead of putting it in a meatloaf pan, put meatloaf balls in a cupcake tin. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Then you can wrap and freeze them individually and micro when you want one. Easy, peezy, protein snack. There's are great recipes on Bodybuilding.com. I also follow Jamie Eason on that site to do her workouts.
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Exercising is exhausting right now as I don't have much energy. I know I need to pay close attention to what I am eating and wait for my energy to come back after my feet are healed.
    Thanks for the idea about the turkey meatballs, its a good idea to have protein handy to snack on if I'm needing someone. I usually find its the healthy meals that take more effort to make. :)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i do lots of situps for cardio sometimes, i wear a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate up. maybe that would work for you?