Should I be paying attention to my heart rate zones?

Options
I work out a lot, eat at a deficit, and I'm steadily losing weight.. I work out up to 5 hours a day sometimes.. But generally probably around 3. I do cardio as well as lift.

For cardio, should I be paying attention to and familiarizing myself with my heart rate zones and aiming at being a certain percentage of my MHR?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are your objectives and what cardio do you do?

You don't mention a sport or goal so first inclination says not to bother.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You don't mention a sport or goal so first inclination says not to bother.

+1
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of things.. For this, I was thinking more in terms of running on the treadmill, spinning, stair master, or elliptical

I also do bootcamp classes, cardio kickboxing classes, row classes, various yoga classes, dance classes, strength training, swimming, hiking, kayaking, lots of walking... I'm open to hearing if I should be considering my HR zone for any of these, but I think that's more of a consistent cardio thing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nope, no point in worrying about it.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to burn the most calories, including the most calories from fat, just work out as hard as you're comfortable with, which will usually put you in what they call the "fitness zone".

The so-called "fat-burning zone" is a lower heart rate zone and is misleadingly named. You burn a higher percentage of calories from fat while in that range, but you burn fewer calories overall.

Short version: Don't bother. Just go as hard as you're comfortable with.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    In my experiences, they're more guidlines than anything. I try to keep within a certain range just so I know I'm actually getting a real workout in and not lieing to myself by saying "oh it's a workout" but really I'm not even sweating.