Will I need these things?

Options
I have been a member of MFP since Sept. and have lost 31 pounds but I have noticed a lot of people on here are using a HRM, are a member of a gym and have kitchen scales. I have none of those things and I have been losing. Are these things I will eventually need or can I get away with not having them to lose this weight?

Replies

• rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :bigsmile:

I have them because they are very convenient tools, but though I find them helpful, I doubt they're necessary. Especially if you're having success.

That being said, I LOVE my kitchen scale. I bought it before I started working on weight loss, just as a handy kitchen tool. Now I don't want to be without it!

ETA: I am not a member of a gym, and just got my HRM today, and I have been losing weight quite well up until now. I just got an HRM so I could have a more accurate idea how many calories I'm burning so I can add them to my daily allowance. I am NOT one of those people who has trouble eating at least the 1200 recommended daily calories.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'd say a digital kitchen scale is a must have... you can buy them for pretty cheap. I got mine off Amazon.com for $25 (free shipping). They sell cheaper ones, too. I found out I was really off on some of my eyeball estimations! I weight almost everything now, so I know exactly how much I'm eating.

HRM or a Bodybugg type device is a real "nice to have" for estimating exercise calories. The MFP estimations (and even gym machine estimations) are more generic estimates. These devices should be more accurate, if you're concerned about that.

I'd say that a gym is by no means a necessity. If you have the money, it's nice - but there are plenty of exercises you can do that don't cost a thing. (I jogged/walked outside for most of my exercise this summer) You can also by cheap, but decent, exercise dvds for at home (I like the biggest loser bootcamp and yoga dvds). I like going to a gym for the variety and for the weight machines, but eventually I plan on getting a simple at home weight set and cancelling my membership. Walking/jogging and jumproping is good enough cardio for me!

In the end, none of this is *really* a necessity, but they're all helpful in one way or another.

Edited to add: kitchen scales are particularly useful for food items that are hard to measure (ex - meat, broccoli, fruit chunks, spaghetti, etc.)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM and I use it about half of the time - it helps keep better track of calories burned (especially for walking), but I think you can do fine without one.
    I don't use a kitchen scale - I use measuring cups or spoons and have gotten pretty good at "eyeballing" portion sizes - I tend to overestimate, and that's ok. Some people need to keep track of the exact amount of grams they are consuming, but I have enough wiggle room that I don't have a need for one myself.
    I also recently got a gym membership. I use it for the lap pool and the classes (water aerobics and Zumba). I rarely use the equipment. If you can either go for walks/jogs/runs outside or are committed enough to do the exercise videos, I don't think you really need a gym membership.

So - bottom line? They are all helpful but none are essential.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: kitchen scales are particularly useful for food items that are hard to measure (ex - meat, broccoli, fruit chunks, spaghetti, etc.)

I don't have a scale and find none of these things hard to measure. I use cups just fine for most, and for meat well they sell it with how much it weighs right on the package. Just remember, one tenth of a lb= 1.6 oz . I
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

In the end, none of this is *really* a necessity, but they're all helpful in one way or another.

This!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I don't have a scale and find none of these things hard to measure. I use cups just fine for most, and for meat well they sell it with how much it weighs right on the package. Just remember, one tenth of a lb= 1.6 oz . I

Unlike milk or rice or something like that, which always fills a cup the same way, some foods will vary significantly based on how the food is cut. A cup of carrots that are in huge chunks and don't fit evenly in the cup will be different calories than a cup of grated carrot that fills the cup evenly. For some foods (veggies, for example) it doesn't make a big difference, but for some it can! For meat - they tell you how much the package weighs, but unless you buy single serving meat, it can be tricky. Even individual chicken breasts can really vary in size.

Really, weighing food isn't a necessity, but it certainly ensures more accuracy. If an individual is okay with estimating, then that's fine. I'm a numbers person and prefer to be more precise. (I'm sure you could guess that from my username... :laugh: )
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what stage you are at in your weight loss. When you have the most to lose just watching what you eat can be enough. Unfortunately, the closer you get to your goal the slower you will lose the weight. When this starts to happen things like a food scale can be invaluable because they enable you to keep better track of your food intake. Like somebody mentioned above different foods can take up different amounts of room in a measuring come, and towards the end this can start to make a difference. A gym membership, again, is something I find I am only starting to use the closer I get to my goal weight.