Gained 6 pounds in one week

Options
Hey everyone. I had something weird happen and wanted to get other people's take. I'm female, 5'11, and have maintained my weight, 138 pounds, for about 6 months.

A few weeks ago, I had guests visiting for 6 days and while they were here, I was eating slightly more than usual. Not a crazy amount - a couple desserts that I wouldn't normally have and slightly less healthy choices than I would have normally made.

When I weighed myself after they left, I had gained 7 pounds! In 6 days.

I tend to burn about 2300 calories a day if I'm fairly active (which I was that week, probably more than usual). That means that I would have had to have eaten 5,800 calories every day for those 6 days.

How is that even possible? I've tracked days where I've literally binged nonstop, and I've never gotten over 3000 calories.

And now, it's been 2 weeks, I've gone back to eating normally, and I still weigh 145. I can see the change in my stomach; it's expanded and I feel bloated.

Anyone know what could be going on? Has this happened to anyone?

EDIT: I realized I wrote 6 pounds in the subject, but it was actually 7.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    That seems unusual, and my first thought was that you may have a medical condition, but since you were able to keep your weight for six months we need to take that out of the table. Then, the only other option may have to do with lack of sleep and time of the day you ate (probably). I had something similar. During a period of time I used to eat a lot, yet I was able to keep my weight in the 180-190 lbs range with an active lifestyle. When I started to eat late at night (basically the same quantity), my weight skyrocketed to the 210-220 lbs. Probably the reason is that despite my same active lifestyle, my body was unable to digest the food properly. That's the only reason I can think. Maybe lack of sleep too? Good luck...
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Remember it's not a lot of weight.

Maybe your change in routine reduced your activity.

Alcohol sugar bread rice increases appetite disproportionately.

If you increased salt then you tend to retain more water.

Or maybe you're pregnant.
  • Brad23232323
    Options
    I have gained 6 pounds over night before, and lost 6 pounds over night, its a combo or water/waste products mostly. The body can hold A lot of weight in water in the skin for example and if you eat a lot of salt you can retain water. don't get in your head you didn't actually gain 6 pounds of fat in one week its just fluids in your body.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things. I would lean towards water weight mainly. Maybe waste build up if you eat stuff your body isn't used to processing. I say give it a few days and reweigh. Or maybe verify the scale is accurate and try again.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well that's strange! I don't have an explanation though. Is your weighing machine working well?
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I gained six pounds in less than five full days of vacation.

The first few days it didn't want to really budge.

I did eat at a deficit twice the week I returned (I did 5:2 to lose the weight so I went back to that) and slowly it started to come back off. It might have come off more slowly but I'm impatient. Have you thought about just reducing your calories a few hundred a day just for a week to see what happens?

Whenever I'm bloated, my digestive system is not in the best place. (Thanks, IBS!)

BTW - "Binging" all day would be not be only 3,000 calories. I wish! :-)