When will you be happy with your body?

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question. When I first started trying to lose weight, a friend of mine who is a former college athlete and currently a personal trainer told me that people who have been overweight most of their lives (as I have) struggle with giving up the weight loss phase and moving into the maintenance phase.

He suggested that it's because if you've always been the fat girl/guy and you lose a lot of weight, you're much more aware of the change in the way people look at you, talk to you, and treat you than someone who used to be thin, gained weight, and then lost it.. The concept of being "checked out" by the opposite sex or getting constant compliments from people can be addictive to someone who's never had that. At some point, dieting and exercise become like a security blanket, and you're afraid to let go of it because there's certainty there. You know what happens when you follow your diet and exercise program to the letter; you don't know what's going to happen when you ease up on your calorie restrictions and cut back your workouts.

His advice to me was to get some perspective on what my goal weight and size actually look like. Find someone who already is that weight and size. Would I be satisfied with that? If I know that ahead of time, I'll probably be more comfortable stopping when I get to that point instead of thinking I need to keep going.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I will be happy with my body when I feel confident enough to book a vacation at one of those "clothing optional" resorts :)

It would also be nice to be able to do a headstand in yoga w/o my stomach sitting on top of my chest...
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't know if I ever will be 100% happy with it! I think I just want to feel good in ALL my clothes, ALL the time!

I'm learning to appreciate different parts (defined shoulders, collar bone, toned legs etc) before I reach my goal.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    When I am comfortable in a bathing suit. When my "back" stops complaining. When I can go for a hike up a mountain and come home with enough energy to cook dinner. I don't know what weight or size it will be, and I'm not worried about the numbers.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I plan on never being happy with my body. I hope to become a perpetual work in progress. There is always room for improvement, and I want to see how far I can go.
  • flossicle
    Options
    When my jelly belly is gone, my fat *kitten* is no more..my thighs n calves are toned and i have fab arms n shoulder.. then n only then will i be satisfied..i have a heck of a long way to go!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When my BMI is at "normal" :happy:
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lots of different responses here...very interesting.

I am happy with my body now. That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, however I feel good about my size and my fitness level. I know that I will never ever look like a super model without surgical assistance, and I'm not interested in that. I also know that having harder muscles and less body fat requires a very high amount of discipline in what I eat, and then I just get cranky.

I know I could drop another 5 lbs and probably 4% body fat if I worked really hard...but having that body would not make me happy enough to make up for the frustration of having to work that hard at my diet and exercise work outs. I feel like I'm at a good place of balance right now.

I don't know if that makes any sense, lol, but there you go.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question. When I first started trying to lose weight, a friend of mine who is a former college athlete and currently a personal trainer told me that people who have been overweight most of their lives (as I have) struggle with giving up the weight loss phase and moving into the maintenance phase.

He suggested that it's because if you've always been the fat girl/guy and you lose a lot of weight, you're much more aware of the change in the way people look at you, talk to you, and treat you than someone who used to be thin, gained weight, and then lost it.. The concept of being "checked out" by the opposite sex or getting constant compliments from people can be addictive to someone who's never had that. At some point, dieting and exercise become like a security blanket, and you're afraid to let go of it because there's certainty there. You know what happens when you follow your diet and exercise program to the letter; you don't know what's going to happen when you ease up on your calorie restrictions and cut back your workouts.

His advice to me was to get some perspective on what my goal weight and size actually look like. Find someone who already is that weight and size. Would I be satisfied with that? If I know that ahead of time, I'll probably be more comfortable stopping when I get to that point instead of thinking I need to keep going.
    Love this! So true!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I always thought seeing a certain number on the scale, and while that would be awesome, I'm not sure that it'll ever happen. I'm trying now to concentrate more on the shape of my body and muscular build rather than the scale. I'd like to be in a size six with my stomach looking non-pregnant (getting there). My body does pretty much whatever I tell it to now, so I have accomplished that much at least. :smile:
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When will you be happy with your body?

When I am skinny enough to see my upper pelvic bone, 6 pack abs, and upper body shaped. That is the final goal at least. Right now it's to get down to 165-175 then I get into weight training.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When I have flat abs and a non-dimply butt.

Shannon
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When my BMI no longer says obese....it would be nice if eerything that jiggles stop....but even if it doesnt and I am fit and healthy I'll be ok with that too
  • porterbaby38
    Options
    when i get that flabby skin from my stomach, thighs, arms and my butt is very tightb and toned. then i'll be happy and feel comfortable with my body.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When exercise doesn't feel like another chore.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm already reasonably happy with my body. but i aim to fit a size 10/12 (us). We'll see then.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    When the scale says the weight that I have been working towards. I lost a lot of weight before and still was not happy, thinking I still did not look good, this time around I am reminding myself, that my healthy weight is BEAUTIFUL, even if I cannot stand my stomach!
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options

This said it exactly how I felt when I reached my goal, reset it, reached it again, then questioned how far to keep going! Going into the maintenance phase was a HUGE jump in calories. This happeded at the same time that summer ended and I started back to work. The workouts slowed down and the stress eating started up. :explode: I stopped logging in my food and just waited for my matabolism to slow down and all the new pants to get too tight. The shock has been that my weight has yo-yo'd back and forth b/w 5lbs and I'm fine with that. My new pants all still fit and I'm shocked at how much I can still eat.

I stopped losing weight once I hit the dead middle of my healthy BMI range. I felt that was perfect. I have lots of leg muscle left from running and sadly, still have some belly buldge from the last c-section, but I'm still VERY pleased. I cannot justify losing one more pound. A tummy tuck would be fabulous but that will never realistically happen. :wink: I was never looking for "skinny"...I always wanted "toned".
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this and I think for me, it won't be a number on the scale but a feeling. A feeling of health, strength and happiness with what I see in the mirror.

In reality, I actually prefer a "thicker" look, I want to have "meat on my bones" and sometimes I wonder how I would look being my suggested weight. The image I have of how I'd like to look...I am not sure what weight on the scale it corresponds to. With that being said, I will be happier (because I love myself regardless) with my body when I get to a place where I don't have huge love handles, huge jiggly thighs and arms and a belly I can grab and one that hangs. Where I can feel confident being naked and where I am no longer considered obese.

When everything is "in place" without a lot of excess being left over, when I feel more fit and can work out and do physical activity for extended periods, when I get a check up and everything is on the up and up and I can wear the clothes I would like and go to ANY store and know I have choices. When I am not scared to look at pictures of myself. When I can look at myself in the mirror naked and not avoid the image at all cost. Then I will be happ-IER. I don't really need a six pack or anything, just to be womanly and curvy, but in only the right places and to more importantly be healthy and relatively fit.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I will be happy with my body when it does EVERYTHING I want it to do.
    If I say jump, it jumps.
    If I say do a pull up, it will.
    If I say do push-ups, no problem
    If I say do a 5K, no problem.
    I don't want to have excuses.

I second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth this. I don't care what the scale says.

I read an interesting post on another forum. If you could have the body you dream of, would it matter to you what the scale said? I know for me the answer is a resounding NO! I'm interested in fat loss not weight loss. I'm interested in a more sculpted body, functional strength, and stamina. I'd like to have a 32-34inch waist with nice lean muscle.

I love where I am fitness wise, but there are still a lot of things I'd like to be able to do that I can't yet. I also love that most of my clothes are fitting way too loosely. I practically need a new wardrobe which isn't cheap!